Dragon Fin Soup - Kickstarter Now Live

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Grimm Bros have launched their kickstarter for Dragon Fin Soup asking for $24,000. The game is described as a turn based tactical action RPG with roguelike elements.

We see Kickstarter as a great platform to connect with gamers and are here asking for your backing to help us finish the game and make Dragon Fin Soup a phenomenal experience!

Grimm Bros is a new indie RPG game company of veteran developers. We are very small and 100% indie. Our entire team is spread around the world with members located in Philadelphia, Bangkok, Chicago, San Francisco, and London. We all work together online making games from our home offices, pubs, cafes… basically anywhere with a power outlet and wifi.

As an indie studio it's important to be in control of the development without not having to bend and compromise from outside influences. We are indie because we really want to make the kind of games we would personally enjoy playing and not doing work for hire or work on projects where the focus is on the business model.

Our development has been funded so far with the help of our amazing friends and family in addition to our own personal money, time, and efforts.

Dragon Fin Soup is our debut title that we've been pouring all of our time, efforts, and hearts into over the past year in order to craft a fantastic game experience to share with you. Every day we proudly sacrifice our souls to the elder gods of gaming to bring you yummy RPG goodness!
More information.

Last edited:
How can a turn based game be an action RPG? Isn't the two mutually exclusive?

It's not action. It's tactical action.

Is it me or it looks as highly improved RPGmaker game. I'm really not sure what to think about it...

It's not action. It's tactical action.

Is it me or it looks as highly improved RPGmaker game. I'm really not sure what to think about it…

I know tactical turn based games. And I know action RPG's. And I know tactical action games. But I have no idea what turn based tactical ACTION RPG is. More action every turn? Loads of crazy effects? Still not what I would define as an "action" game (to me, action means I probably won't like it, with some rare exceptions...)

You could probably define things like South Park Stick of Truth as an action turn based rpg - it's turn based, but you have to time key presses to actually hit the opponent.

I know tactical turn based games. And I know action RPG's. And I know tactical action games. But I have no idea what turn based tactical ACTION RPG is. More action every turn? Loads of crazy effects? Still not what I would define as an "action" game (to me, action means I probably won't like it, with some rare exceptions…)

I asked Grimm Bros. to clarify how the combat system will work in their comments and here's what they said:

"DFS is turnbased but unlike games like X-Com or Tactics Ogre, the foes take their turns simultaniously so that there is no delay and waiting. It plays similar like Chocobo Dungeon, Shiren. Does that make sense? We can look to put up a gameplay video in the near future so you can see how it plays."

Too many flashy particle effects, lights exploding everywhere, ugg..

I dunno, I just love the art and music for this game.. and a werewolf Little Red Riding hood packing a shotgun. Looks like fun.

How can a turn based game be an action RPG? Isn't the two mutually exclusive?

It's because they copied the idea of Eschalon Book series. You can play it like an action game but yeah most often do this in combats will generate bad decisions. It's very handy for exploration and very pleasant overall.

The JRPG look and feel put me off including the obvious dominant influence of consoles, but after a superficial investigation it seems a good pick, I'll skip the KS because it's not on Mac but I doubt I'll skip its pc release.

I asked Grimm Bros. to clarify how the combat system will work in their comments and here's what they said:

"DFS is turnbased but unlike games like X-Com or Tactics Ogre, the foes take their turns simultaniously so that there is no delay and waiting. It plays similar like Chocobo Dungeon, Shiren. Does that make sense? We can look to put up a gameplay video in the near future so you can see how it plays."

Ha, I believed it was the Eschalon Book approach. I played Shiren but don't remember it was simultaneous turn based, well that was some time ago.

EDIT: So you shot in a direction and it's a miss if the enemy has moved at same turn?

The JRPG look and feel put me off including the obvious dominant influence of consoles, but after a superficial investigation it seems a good pick, I'll skip the KS because it's not on Mac but I doubt I'll skip its pc release.

EDIT: So you shot in a direction and it's a miss if the enemy has moved at same turn?

Actually they are porting it to Mac.. It's kinda hard to see but it's mentioned around the stretch goals. Although I believe they said the Mac / Linux versions might be released slightly after the Windows PC version.

The way I interpret is all the enemies most simultaneously but then your character / her pets / hirelings move... So there's no need to worry about missing because an enemy suddenly moves or something like that.

Too many flashy particle effects, lights exploding everywhere, ugg..

It goes well with the rest i think, clearly their inspiration is from 80's and 90's games. It works much better here than in for example a dark game like Grim Dawn, it really looked off there with all the neon bright colors flying everywhere in the otherwise really dark environments.

I really like the art, the protagonist especially, has tons of character. One of the easiest pledges this year for me..

Mmm the idiots they hide they plan a Mac release. Despite it's in big red it's suspect because it's hidden in middle of the big welcome page.

I understand the too cute comment but the real in game graphics aren't that cute. :) I'm skeptical about generated quests, all that did it was dull and was working more or less only because of other elements (Fate because the point was to go deeper and deeper, or Din's Curse because of the time pressure).

But yeah that was one I was regretting it hadn't a Mac release. Good chance I try the base pledging.... Nope I mean the pet pledging. OMG I bet the pet will not be well implemented.

Back
Top Bottom