Disco Elysium - Best PC Game of 2019 @ Shacknews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
For Shacknews the best PC game of 2019 is Disco Elysium:

Shacknews Best PC Game of 2019 - Disco Elysium

Disco Elysium is unparalleled in the RPG space, offering a gripping narrative and a vibrant world making it an obvious choice for Shacknews Best PC Game of 2019.

Disco Elysium has forever shifted the paradigm of what can be considered a good RPG. From the creative mind at ZA/UM studio, Disco Elysium thrusts the player into the body of an alcoholic and drug-abusing detective in the midst of a murder investigation in a psychedelic world. It manages to offer a gripping narrative set out over a 40-60 hour experience, and enough soul and panache to make any disco-lover boogie all night long. It has won the hearts of the Shacknews staff, and as such has been crowned our Best PC Game of 2019.

[...]
More information.

I'm struggling to remember what other RPGs were even released on PC in 2019. It seemed to be another really slow year for the genre.

It’s best pc game not best RPG.

Disco Elysian isn’t my kind of game so I can’t comment on it. I’ll just say as I did in another thread my best game of 2019 is sekiro.

I don’t take these list seriously anyway. Many are just clickbait.

Yesterday I watched a YouTube video by gaming bolt that had mortal Kombat 11 as having the best video game story of 2019.

"Disco Elysium is unparalleled in the RPG space..."

"Disco Elysium has forever shifted the paradigm of what can be considered a good RPG."

What a load of hype…

I hope i like it, got it in the steam sale; but i see different opinions on length, some ppl say 20h and here they say 40-60h lol.

Was 30 hours for me and I did absolutely everything I could find. I dunno how it could possibly take anyone 50 or 60 hours. 40 maybe if you're extremely leisurely.

So far I gave it just short try how it feels (about 1,5 hour). I died of heart attack during conversation with some brat who was throwing rocks on hanging body. Its definitely super weird thing. but right now my detective itch is scratched by Blade Runner released by GOG. Really superior adventure game, cant recommend it enough. And top notch atmosphere, underlined by visuals and tones of the Vangelis soundtrack from movie. Audio visual heaven. Not even badly aged vector graphics used on characters can spoil that.

I feel like those who insist it's a point and click adventure game can't have played any point and click adventure games. I have, lots, and none of them are what Disco Elysium is. Disco Elysium isn't like most RPGs, either. Which brings us to the fact that the debate over whether it's a or b is futile and pointless, because it's its own thing. Games aren't just a or b. It's also a pretty cool thing, if you ask me.

I feel like those who insist it's a point and click adventure game can't have played any point and click adventure games...
I love classic point and click adventures.
But as far as i know no new classic point and click adventures were released since a couple of years. Disco Elysium is the best what we got in this genre for years. So to see this game as a point and click adventure is obvious, just because certain of its characteristics are very rare today in games.

I agree that Disco Elysium is very unique and that people are too inclined to putting things in boxes.
But people like to do it and I think Disco Elysium could have more buyers if the adventure game community would recognize it more.

Sorry but Disco Elysium feels more interactive fiction than an RPG to me. Technically there are stats but that's mostly in service of giving you dialogue choice/options to choose.

Anyway good game but definitely not RPG of the year. I'd choose Greedfall or Outer Worlds since 2019 was a bad year for RPGs. 2020 looks more promising.

Can't wait to play Cyberpunk 2077 and Bloodlines 2.:drool:

I love classic point and click adventures.
But as far as i know no new classic point and click adventures were released since a couple of years. Disco Elysium is the best what we got in this genre for years. So to see this game as a point and click adventure is obvious, just because certain of its characteristics are very rare today in games.

You're not looking hard enough. Unavowed, Thimbleweed Park, Whispers of a Machine, and plenty more.

And what characteristics are you referring to? Clicking on things isn't enough to define the genre, because you click on things in every game. Point and click adventure games don't have text-based interfaces. They don't have levels or skills or stats. They often (but not always) make heavy use of object interaction between inventory items or between inventory items and the environment, something Disco Elysium barely does.

It's an awesome game, this generation's Torment. Although Tides of Numenera was excellent too and might have something to say about that. Still, Disco is a bomb game. Highly recommended if you haven't played it yet and like great detective mystery RPGs. :biggrin:

Time for a real, true point & click adventure games definition thread.

Time for a real, true point & click adventure games definition thread.
Here? No.
Specific genre site, adventuregamers, exists for decades already.

Because it brings insecurity. Not knowing is torture. It prevents from associating with a group. Kind like a fifth column. This product is told to be RPG, fanboys join the group and eventually, they social engineer the group to be P&C dedicated. It is no longer RPG. The group is all in the american system.

Must keep the ranks in order, track down an enemy from within.

Like the space traveller in Alien. Had to be known. Mysteries are unbearable. Questions must be answered or it brings insecurites. The answers were delivered in life changing movies.

Or Space marines in W40k. Must know how they are made, or situation look out of control. It brings insecurity. Can not be a world of half truths, half lies even in the emperor relies heavily on propaganda.

Insecurity.

Back
Top Bottom