Starsector - 0.91 release

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
RockPaperShotgun report on Starsector's 0.91 release.

I’ve previously described Fractal Softworks’s space sim Starsector (primarily the work of solo dev Alexander Mosolov) as ‘Mount & Blade: Warband in space’. High praise at the time, but as of today’s version 0.9a release, I feel it might be selling it short. Today’s update (patch notes here) is over a year in the works, and vastly broadens the scope of involvement you can have in its still-expanding procedural space sandbox, including colony management. The excellent real-time tactical combat has been improved too, including new battles against enormous orbital platforms.

[...]

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Wow, i bought this several years ago in alpha stage.. thought its dead. Looks like there has been a lot of work done. Hopefully i find my key or license.

They had to change name years ago. Development was going on for 10 years mininum?

The game got under my radar, too. (Have 2D graphics will do that.)

I bought this yonks ago and enjoyed it a lot. So, when the new release was announced I immediately jumped on it. Turns out I bought this game in 2011 back when it was called Starfarer. The key still worked, thankfully, and I can tell you all that the new update is good stuff.

Has anyone encountered any story events or interesting missions? I don't want to give spoilers, but I found one. Sometime I check out the bars, and this one time I found a guy who told me about a red planet on the other side of the universe. When you get over there, you have an interesting encounter with some Remnants.

I also found a signal device giving a "high" warning. When I went to that system, I encountered multiple massive Remnant fleets and a space station. Is there anything more to it, story wise, or is it just a series of battles and loot? Can you ever salvage the Remnant vessels, or only the weapons? I salvaged some remnant bombers at one point.

I bought this yonks ago and enjoyed it a lot. So, when the new release was announced I immediately jumped on it. Turns out I bought this game in 2011 back when it was called Starfarer. The key still worked, thankfully, and I can tell you all that the new update is good stuff.

Has anyone encountered any story events or interesting missions? I don't want to give spoilers, but I found one. Sometime I check out the bars, and this one time I found a guy who told me about a red planet on the other side of the universe. When you get over there, you have an interesting encounter with some Remnants.

I also found a signal device giving a "high" warning. When I went to that system, I encountered multiple massive Remnant fleets and a space station. Is there anything more to it, story wise, or is it just a series of battles and loot? Can you ever salvage the Remnant vessels, or only the weapons? I salvaged some remnant bombers at one point.

i played it some 10hrs each release since 2 or 3 yrs, it seems a pure sandbox to me so i'm not sure any "main plot" is taking place.

The combat is majestic in this game. Good weapon sounds. Engine glows are changing per speed, there is visible damage to the ships, when destroyed they break apart in nice explosions. Very satisfying.

There are a lot of these games so it is hard to pick and choose the one that works- having said that the space game I really want to see is a modern freespace or x-wing. Those dog fights were epic.

Back
Top Bottom