BioWare - Next ME Game not to be Called ME4

aries100

SasqWatch
In a post at the official Bioware forums (the BSN) Chris Priestly states in post that the
next ME game wille not be called ME4 -
and here's the reason why:
We have already said that the Commander Shepard trilogy is over and that the next game will not feature him/her. That is the only detail you have on the game. I see people saying "well, they'll have to pick a canon ending". No, because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side. Or with characters you know. Or yaddayaddayadda. Wherever, whenever, whoever, etc will all be revealed years down the road when we actually start talking about it.
Likewise Yanick Roy, studio director at Bioware Montreal also in post on the official
Bioware forums (the BSN) states:

What Chris is saying is that thinking of the next Mass Effect game as Mass Effect 4 would imply a certain linearity, a straight evolution of the gameplay and story of the first three games........... Story-wise, the arc of the first trilogy has also been concluded, and what we will do is tell a new story set in the Mass Effect universe. That doesn't mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won't get recognized, but they likely won't be what this new story will focus on. In other words, because the game takes place before of after the first trilogy does not mean it necessarily is a straight prequel or sequel.
More information.

Who cares if the game will be named ME4 or something else?

We simply want a good game with any title.

Who cares if the game will be named ME4 or something else?

We simply want a good game with any title.

If you read what he said you would understand what they were getting at.

I won't read another EA PR rubbish.

The next game will of course be the next COD killer. It will be a pure FPS with dialogue and cutscenes. Think of the possibility's.:biggrin: (That's sarcasm by the way, and more than likely the truth)

Really they only have four options. Prequel, Sequel, reboot or a story set along Shepard's tale.

Neither am I. But somehow, when it cones to a fraud company, y'know, the one that payed Metacritic critics entries for DA2 score, I can't be arsed to read anything they brag about.

The first quote actually muddled the waters even more.

Why set something in a universe or a game series if there are no forms of continuity (even with a prequel there is a continuity), which Priestly seems to imply. Why not a new IP?

Or are they going Final Fantasy, which is to my knowledge is one of the only big series that really doesn't have any continuity in universe and story between it's main installments.

Mass Effect 1-3 was all about Shepard. It's not a necessity, but I can see why they don't want to name the next title ME 4.

ROTFL

Chocula you've made my day. Night. Both! :D

Got bored a few hours into the 1st one,never started the second one and didn't even buy the 3rd.

Maybe a whole new direction would be good.

Or are they going Final Fantasy, which is to my knowledge is one of the only big series that really doesn't have any continuity in universe and story between it's main installments.
You say it like it's a bad thing. :)

Ofcourse they don't want to name it ME4, and they don't know when and how they stroy will be told. Why? Because they ruined trilogy with an unlogical conclusion, and there is a trap that whole new series will be unlogical too :p

Sheppard, the character who saved, will save, is saving an entire galaxy, changing a millenia long cycle, did, will not, is not existing.

Looks like somebody wants to disinherit a child.

Man a lot of stupid opinions in here.

These be fighting words. youngling. Care to elaborate?

I question BioWare's gall posing all offended how their own community (which I find has been pissed on quite a few times, now) dare to call their next project by a new number, while not even caring enough to offer an alternative.
What did they expect? Fans will be fans and they are going to talk about the next thing, and they need a simple name for it. ME4 fits, given that sequels are what the (parent) company is known for best.

@couchie: sorry, my reply was to Rune's arrogance, actually. No offence to you :)

Last edited:
These be fighting words. youngling. Care to elaborate?

Not really. Just the usual when it comes to rune_74. We had a difference of opinion before so it's nothing new.:)

Thank you for calling me a youngling though. Feels good I can pass as younger. If your referring to my join date then that's pure discrimination I tell ya.

Back
Top Bottom