Arcania - Review Flood #4

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
This time with a small bonus: Two sites benchmarked Arcania on several graphics cards, including the brand new ATI 6850 & 6870.

• GameShard says Arcania deserves 7/10, and their conclusion sounds like that: "If you're a fan of the series, there's every chance Arcania: Gothic 4 is not for you. It's simple, streamlined, and linear to a fault, and the later parts of the game degenerate to a bit of a grind with little payoff. But the combat is fun, the visuals are stunning, and exploring the landscape is a compelling draw. There's certainly enjoyment to be had here, but Arcania won't satisfy those craving a more open RPG experience."
  • OXM Online has a quite positive review: "Easily the largest part of the game, combat initially seems to be a typical hack-and-slash borefest. However, it quickly evolves into one of the smoothest balances of magic, archery, and melee fighting that we’ve seen." They also see a couple of issues. - 7.5/10 (XBox 360)
  • GameFocus thinks the game is quite okay: "Arcania isn’t a bad game. [...] Fortunately, the combat is solid and in games like this, that’s usually not the case. Overall, Gothic 4 won’t stand out on any scale, but it does hold it’s own int he [sic!] middle of the pack. You won’t pick this up before grabbing Dragon Age, but if you’ve already moved past the RPGs released over the last few years, Gothic 4 is an easy going and serviceable runner up." - 7.0/10
  • CVG posted a slightly edited GamesRadar/XBoxWorld 360 review. The new score is a little higher - 6.7 instead of 6.0. New conclusion: "Decent but hackneyed hack-and-slashery, and still a way off feeling comfortable on Xbox."
  • ingame.de - "average" (transl.) - 6.5/10
  • huscarl.at, an Austrian site for everything medieval, posted a rather delicate review. The article was written by JoWooD's former all-purpose weapon Johann Ertl. He was their long-time community manipulator and the producer for Arcania for a ca. 6 months. His work for JoWooD ended in September 2009. It's an interesting piece. The verdict is that Arcania is a fun game but "no RPG per se and unfortunately no top class game". He's also not very fond of the ending. My dictionary says he calls it an "unbounded cheek".
  • Eurogamer - 4/10
  • ByteMe.gr - No idea what the rating means, but I like their name.
  • Polish site nvision.pl benchmarked Arcania on 22 graphics cards.
  • Techgage.com tested the new AMD Radeon HD 6870 & HD 6850 cards against many games, including Arcania and Fallout: New Vegas.
More information.

ByteMe.gr - No idea what the rating means, but I like their name.
The reviewer's rating is 3/10

He clearly didn't like it and says things like it being the black sheep of the (Gothic)family and a shame to the series.Moreover he believes it has nothing to offer to the average RPG player yet somehow manages to be worse than all the previous Gothic games and all the game of that genre like Risen,Oblivion or Dragon Age.He'd rather Fable 3 or a game that "respects" the genre it belongs to.

He liked only the detailed graphics,the varied landscapes and the decent length(unless you get bored)

Great review :lol:

Good riddance, the community is quite split over this, rarely saw so many so different reviews.

Sure, but to catch the other mistake I would have had to carefully read the text instead of skimming over it.

If they had just dropped the Gothic name it would have done much better. I've found it a decent diversion so far, but I knew and expected it to fall short of a Gothic game when I picked it up. I had sort of low expectations but have found my self enjoying it. It's more along the lines of Fable, not much for real RPG elements. There are no choices (other than a few skills and visuals from weapons/armor). Your pretty much just playing through a linear story.

The one choice you have is whether you go exploring or just stick to quests. I suppose turning the quest markers on or off is quite a significant choice.

Actually, there are a few choices, such as choosing between the baron and the rebels at Stewark.

I agree with most of the reviews - it's a fun game if you know what to expect.

The reviewer's rating is 3/10

He clearly didn't like it and says things like it being the black sheep of the (Gothic)family and a shame to the series.Moreover he believes it has nothing to offer to the average RPG player yet somehow manages to be worse than all the previous Gothic games and all the game of that genre like Risen,Oblivion or Dragon Age.He'd rather Fable 3 or a game that "respects" the genre it belongs to.

He liked only the detailed graphics,the varied landscapes and the decent length(unless you get bored)

Great review :lol:

Thanks for helping out, btw. :)

Back
Top Bottom