RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

We have a subscription option to threads. You can manually subscribe per thread or edit your user settings from the User CP. There is an option named 'Default thread subscription mode' with which you can set the option to automatically subscribe to threads you created or posted in by selecting an option other than not subscribing. Your subscribed threads are visible in the 'Subscribed Threads' tab in your user CP.

I never used it so to be honest I do not know if it works :)

We have a subscription option to threads. You can manually subscribe per thread or edit your user settings from the User CP. There is an option named 'Default thread subscription mode' with which you can set the option to automatically subscribe to threads you created or posted in by selecting an option other than not subscribing. Your subscribed threads are visible in the 'Subscribed Threads' tab in your user CP.

I never used it so to be honest I do not know if it works :)

The problem is that there isn't an option then for it not to send me any emails. Could you add that in then :D

We are talking about one mail a week, that you can throw away on receiving it. I doubt that is much of a problem.

Security question too hard to read

Accidentally logged out, I just tried the forum search with the security question. I couldn't get it right in 5 tries! One of the words is in this really skewed, black and white style, and I apparently just can't read the letters properly no matter how long I squint at them.
- Just a heads up, maybe you could replace this with a more userfriendly variation, normally I don't use this.

However, if you use the same thing for registration, I would really recommend changing it - this might unintentionally keep people from registering at the site.

I have politely declined a frienship request. Several times, actually. It is still "open".
How does it "close" ?

Accidentally logged out, I just tried the forum search with the security question. I couldn't get it right in 5 tries! One of the words is in this really skewed, black and white style, and I apparently just can't read the letters properly no matter how long I squint at them.
- Just a heads up, maybe you could replace this with a more userfriendly variation, normally I don't use this.

However, if you use the same thing for registration, I would really recommend changing it - this might unintentionally keep people from registering at the site.

I absolute ABHOR those damn eye tests. Someone needs to come up with a better system.

We do not use Captcha for our registration. Aside from the unnecessary costs, it's (as y'all seem to agree) a pain in the butt for users. Our registration process involves a bank of questions that should be trivial for RPGers to answer. I won't get overly detailed, but one example of a question we might use would be "What is the traditional 3 letter abbreviation for the intelligence stat?"

Myrthos changes the questions in the bank from time to time as it appears the spambots eventually "learn" our questions. When Corwin and I start seeing a rash of spambots, we trek to the top of Mount Myrthos, toss a goat into the lava, and humbly request that new questions be set up. Then we start dodging the lightning. ;)

Since Captcha (am I spelling that right?) isn't free to use, I have a hard time believing the Watch is using it for anything. Perhaps we're not understanding GBG's problem?

Our admins wouldn't waste operating funds on that sort of thing when Corwin and I are nearly as effective and work solely for the ego stroke that comes with maniacally wielding the Banhammer on innocent little spammers. :D

Well how about that... Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't try it myself. I wonder if that's buried in the board software somehow. We've discussed Captcha in relation to spambots a couple times and (particularly given the cost) the unanimous verdict was always "no thanks".

Actually CAPTCHA was enabled on quite some things for some reason. Disabled it for most options, leaving only the NoSpam settings, which asks you one very deep question :)

Okay, did so.

Back
Top Bottom