Filtering out the non-crpg stuff?

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Is there a way to filter out all the crap that's being posted about nowadays? There are jRPGs, iOS, non-crpg Indie, browser shit and everything else under the sun on the front news page. It's become AnythingWatch instead of RPGWatch. I've gotten to the point where I'm only coming here about once a week, it's so bad.

I come here for PC RPG's only. That's what the site was built around and it has seriously deteriorated in the last couple months. For God's Sake where is Dhruin?

Every post deals with CRPG'S except one or two posts. I'm sorry to see your disappointed but I try to include all tastes.

If people tell me what there interested in I can try to find more news to your taste. As it is I try to filter out 100's of links, and can barely find a few a day sometimes.

Anyone else have a problem please speak up? I'll stop posting and someone else can take over if the majority don't like what I post.:)

Last edited:
While I see where you are coming from CRPGNut, I think a bit of patience is in order. Couch is still new to this, and I think he's doing a good job. While I could personally do without the JRPGs and some other stories, this is "RPGWatch," not "Nerevarine's personal news preferences." The site's interface also makes it easy to quickly find stories you are or aren't interested in by listing them at the top left of the main page.

I've actually enjoyed some of the "left field" stories, such as the Skyrim Civil War overhaul mod. Considering that the past few months have mostly been slow regarding "CRPGs," I'm glad that there's still under-the-radar gaming content to be found here. Besides, even a big event like E3 barely had any RPG related content, so at least there's something to read about before CRPG news kicks up again.

Anyway, thanks for your time and effort in contributing to the site Couch.

I don't have any specific complaints and would much rather see something than nothing. What would it be like with out the support of Couch. I agree the site should skew heavily toward AAA Western PC RPGs but do not have many issues with the console/indie content. I own many CRPGs and many jRPGs and only picked some up like Xenoblade (playable on PC with emulator) after see it on this site. Some do not consider Jagged Alliance a RPG but I do and like like the diversity. I don't really think Mass Effect is an RPG but it still seems to be popular here for whatever reason.

Its not like we are getting several dozen AAA games a year. I would temper updates of the side stuff maybe to official releases or legitimate big announcements (which I thought was the general case anyway) or to stuff that gets a lot of positive comments regularly. If anything the constant kickstarter updates are probably more annoying to me since its mostly sales pitches anyway but then again there really isn't that much news exclusive to RPGs.

I prefer PC-RPG-News, too.
But it's good to look at the Indie scene, interesting J-RPGs, Kickstarters etc.

The border are mobile games and browser games IMHO - I don't need that at all.
-> the general rpg thread is polluted by a certain member AppleI… :) not the news.

I really appreciate the efforts of our newcomers, Couchpotato, Fluent, and GhanBuriGhan,…

Give them a chance crpgnut and they will only get better over time.
Open new threads about PC-CRPG-stuff by yourself helps, too.

The real problem of RPGWatch are NOT the news:
We have (again) too many sub-forums with not so many (quality) regular posters.
Merging a few threads/forums could be the solution.

Last edited:
Couchpotato has done a great job overall - thanks, Couch! It is to be expected that a new newsposter has some new preferences, but I am still getting the PC RPG news that I am looking for. I think the site has always been PC Western RPG centric, but never exclusive. Dhruin regularly posted general interest newsbits or news on games that were not RPG bu would interest readers. We even had an excellent article series on handheld RPGs by txa1265 once.
Maybe some items would be better off as forum posts than as general news posts, but I don't think its wrong to post news on some games or events that are out of the central focus of the site, provided there is a hook that might appeal to the general audience. So if there is news about a JRPG, or an iOS game, I'd like to read a sentence or two why it might appeal to me although these games are not generally covered by the site. For MMORPG we still have a subsite anyway, that could be revived if Couchpotato feels like it, I suppose.

All that said, it would be a great addition to have a tag-based news filter functionality for the main page... But I assume that would be a major, major effort to implement.

Couchpotato has done a great job overall - thanks, Couch!
+1

I actually like the news style. Majority of it is about crpgs so I'm not sure why is crpgnut complaining.

If there is some news about a smartphone game, so what. Hell, it better be stuff like that - I need to spit somewhere. ;)

Couch is doing an awesome job in my opinion. He has not skipped a day since he started posting news.
There is only one rule for posting news: News posters at RPGWatch are free to post the news bits they think fit the site. This rule will not be changed.
Finding and posting news is already quite an effort, especially on a daily basis and I find it sometimes a chore, so at the very least I want to be able to add also news on things I find interesting and that are somehow related to RPGs or perhaps have a large group of people on this site that have an interest in it.

On a side note I am working on getting you logged into RPGWatch automatically on the front page as well, based on your forum account. If that is operational I will also add the option to filter the display of news.
However as I am lacking time at the moment to work on this a lot it will be after the summer holidays.

Is there a way to filter out all the crap that's being posted about nowadays? There are jRPGs, iOS, non-crpg Indie, browser shit and everything else under the sun on the front news page. It's become AnythingWatch instead of RPGWatch. I've gotten to the point where I'm only coming here about once a week, it's so bad.

I come here for PC RPG's only. That's what the site was built around and it has seriously deteriorated in the last couple months. For God's Sake where is Dhruin?
In the past I have tried to be of some assistance to Dhruin and Myrthos every now and then by searching for news myself. I wanted to be of some help to them, because their job is hard and takes a lot of commitment to do on an every day basis.
Searching for interesting news took me a lot of time. There were weeks I invested more than two hours a day. I was asked if I'd like to post as well but rejected the offer because English is not my mother tongue AND because scrutinizing the entire text, chosing the tidbits and making a post out of it, with proper linking or embedding, would ask even more time than searching for news.

I have enormous respect for all news posters and I am in awe when it comes to those posting news on a daily basis.
Just like Dhruin Couchpotato is doing an amazing job. Top-notch.

When I read your sentences, crpgnut, my stomach cringed. Your words 'crap', 'shit', 'so bad', 'deteriorated', I find them most insulting. Surely you could have worded your wishes in a pleasant manner?

As for Dhruin and his whereabouts. I'm sure you'll agree Dhruin is allowed to have priorities elsewhere, without having to give an explanation why he is not able to serve your needs.
If you were trying to compliment Dhruin for his devotion to this site all these years, day in day out, without ever getting paid, try to do so next time without devaluing and critizing the efforts of someone who's showing the same discipline and time in this as Dhruin did, who is trying to make good and varied news postings that may appeal to many readers, interested in RPGs, just as Dhruin did.

Start contributing yourself, start by providing Couchpotato suitable links for the frontpage. You'll soon learn it's difficult to keep up the motivation as it is - without anyone tearing down your work. You'll learn getting comments about the contents of a newsbit at the end of the news posting can be very stimulating.

Keep up the good work, Couchpotato! Some people dislike even the smallest changes (like having to skip subjects they don't like), they want everything to stay as it was.
So, I am afraid that, if you stop posting, say five years from now, we'll read the impetuous outcry of some other frustrated person: 'FFS, where's Couchpotato?' :)

Last edited:
I send in something I find interesting myself - assuming that the staff decides over this stuff like in a democracy.

Personally, I like it as it is now.

I love the RPGWatch News in my RSS feeds, and think that there is a solid balance. Pretty much all of us are here for cRPG, but the world is blurred now and there are topics of interest to cRPG fans on pretty much every platform.

I also understand how some can get annoyed - for example, X-COM on PC is of interest to enough folks to warrant coverage, and KotOR on iPad deserves coverage because of KotOR. But X-COM on iPad tonight? That starts to push the boundaries for many. Not me ... I have a filter called 'my brain', so don't need to censor potentially relevant coverage to satisfy myself.

I think everyone at RPG watch is doing excellent job. I mainly play games on the PC but I am more than happy to see other platforms being covered. You never know what you will find.

Also I don’t really come here for the type of coverage alone. I come here for the coverage *and* the community so I am interested in seeing what other people are playing etc even if its not cRPGs.

Would you like some cheese to go with your whine? ;)

Yes, there is.

I find that if you use your brain - you can actually read the threads that interest you - and ignore the rest.

I know it's a challenge, but still :)

As for Potato - he's been great, and I like a variety of news myself.

For people mainly interested in CRPG news: Head straight to the news forum. Almost every article worth commenting will have comments on it rather fast, and will therefore show up in the news forum.

Couch, you are doing just fine. Though I don't much interest in platforms other then PC I still want to know what is happening in the game industry. I want to pick and chose what I read in detail, so keep posting the stuff so I can. I come here to stay on top of the news, and you are keeping that going.

I say we take away Nut's CRPG membership card. Also, let's drag him behind a dark alley and lay a beating on him. Does he play with the DDO crowd here? Maybe one of you guys can do something about that.

Seriously, thanks for taking up the slack Spud. You have been giving me a reason to still come here.

I'm also pretty sure Nut regrets what he said by now and is probably a little more than embarrassed.

Just shake hands and …
No hard feelings!

Without Watchers there is no RPGWatch - so please stay together and respect each other.

Thanks, spudboy, for the great work! I've been pleasantly surprised and happy with the new bounty of CRPG newsbits! And yes, I too can use my own brain to filter out the stuff I'm not interested in, so don't restrict on my account.

Back
Top Bottom