RPG Vault - Penny Arcade Adventures Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'm one of two people on the internet ambivalent about the famous online comic strip Penny Arcade, so I haven't previously come across their game collaboration titled Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. According to this interview with the strip's creators, their game will play like a classic RPG:
Jonric: For any readers unfamiliar with Penny Arcade, what are the comics about, and what's the full extent of the property? And what core strengths will differentiate the upcoming game?

Jerry Holkins:
Penny Arcade is an online comic that mostly discusses videogames and game culture. It was started by Jerry Holkins (that is to say, me) and Mike Krahulik in '98, and it has gained much wider acclaim than it probably deserves. Nine years on, we also do our best to operate a charity (childsplaycharity.org) and a convention (pennyarcadeexpo.com), and to help create the occasional videogame.
Well, I hope people will discern that it *has* core strengths to differentiate it! I would be overjoyed if that were the case. Mechanically, it plays very much like an RPG classic, propelled by an adventure game-style dialogue system.
Let us know if this is something we should keep an eye on.
More information.

It's not really an RPG, more of an adventure game, despite their claims.

Not that I don't dig them getting down and dirty with game development (if a bit vicariously), and the game looks like a fun casual title, but not really worth Watch time.

From what I've seen, but I've not followed it closely either.

What do you mean you're "ambivalent" about Penny Arcade? That you don't think they're funny, or that they're overrated?

What do you mean you're "ambivalent" about Penny Arcade? That you don't think they're funny, or that they're overrated?

Ambivalent generally means "mixed feelings", so I think it indicates he both likes them and doesn't like them, and perhaps hints that he doesn't care about the comic either way.

They're sometimes funny - often not (to me). Ocassionally on some board someone links one of their comics and I go look but I've never been motivated to check the site regularly. I'm not sure if that means they are overrated, because I don't have much of an opinion one way or the other (although their charity stuff is nice). No big deal - it was just a preamble because I wasn't sure if everyone else knew they were working on a game or whatever.

By your definition then Dhruiny, that makes me number two. However, I really wouldn't call myself ambivalent at all. I (mostly) don't like it. Except, if liking the the art style counts.

Truthfully speaking, I think there's quite a lot of people that think its just too sophomoric but I've surprised a few kids at the college by telling them I don't like it.

didn't we post about this game about there's before? It seems mildly interesting. I know I've seen it.

Back
Top Bottom