I bloody love the brits!

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq
most of my favourite authors are from england.
my favourite musical groups as well.
and over the past few years, my favourite ebay sellers.
my latest game i got in under 3 days total time. i bought and paid for it sunday night and it was in my mail slot this afternoon (wednesday). this isn't a strange occurence and usually most games, books, and cds i purchase in the glorious island arrive quicker than the ones i get here in the us, even other californians! on top of which i get the games cheaper and usually only pay a dollar or two more for shipping which is astounding considering the pound is over twice the mighty dollar. god save the queen!

The British mail system does seem very efficient. I've bought stuff on Ebay from Britain (and even from Europe on a wider scale) and I've received those items much faster than things ordered from the USA (I'm in Canada).
The shipping prices are reasonable as well, usually being cheaper to import from the UK than to pay for shipping within my own country (Canada Post's rates are disgusting).

so what you're saying is you bloody well love them too:)

Bunch of Pommie lovers!! :)

I just got back from London for the first time in March. Got to see 221 Baker Street, Stonehenge, the queen in her carriage all that rot.

Had I known the Limey's mail service was that good I wouldn't have packed as much luggage.

Incidentally, the Tube runs through Heathrow, so if you can pack light its quite a savings. I paid $90 for my cab to my Hotel and it was relatively close by. Otherwise, book the shuttle ahead of time - its only $36.

Bloody limeys and their Gyros which they call Kebabs..brilliant.

Cheers

Yeah, if only you could play a decent game of Cricket!! :)

(Canada Post's rates are disgusting).

I've already heard about that. A friend of mine sends me (and a bunch of other friends) her small printed book with poems every year via Canadian post.
It always needs some time, but most irritating was to me the fact that one of these friends who lives about 100 Km away from me (or less) received the book about a week earlier than I did ! O_O

The sun never sets on the intellectual Empire! I am an Anglophile since high school (i.e.bloody love them too) Right now I'm debating whether to order Sapkowski's Last Wish from Amazon. uk--anyone have any experience with that?

Should I kill the buzz and mention the always-on-time-and-very-safe public transportation system, the soggy French Fries that taste like fish (not to mention they get smothered in vinegar), the left-driving, non-euro using, non-metric system non-conformity? :)
Just kiddin', every country has it's peculiarities but they are all forgiven when they bring forth things like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Cleese's Monty Python.

I'm happy to report the stories about undercooked food in Britain is a myth. I'm not happy to report that its a pain in the bum (butt) if you want to sit down to eat anywhere.

My wife ended up doing her presentation English food and customs in her Food and Culture class.

As for the transportation system it was hilarious when the an announcement came on at the tube station at Hyde park, "We apologize. The police have asked us to close Piccadilly Circus station...".

Across the pond here they'd just announce it was closed and let the rumour mill or the news tell you there was a shooting between gang members later on instead of inferring there was some sort of a stabbing.

As for the Canadian Postal system the first problem is that it was privatized by the Mulroney administration. Any company that picks it up for the extra business ends up dropping it the second their contract is up.

The delay you had was likely the same reason mine get's delayed: a random custom inspection. The gov't doesn't like to miss out on collecting duties for some reason. There are some tricks to getting things across the border faster like itemizing everything in the box.

Their ales are drinkable... I personally would stay away from the imported lager-stuff that they get from their nordish colonies - Norway, Sweden, Denmark, etc... ah wait, damn... these are not their colonies, are they? It just feels that way if you're playing the European version of World of Warcraft... Anyway don't drink the imported lager stuff... it's basically the only beer which causes a hangover while you're still working on your first pint.

80's New Wave? British.
Shoegaze? British.
Monty Python? British.
That pretty well covers it, I'd say. God save the Queen, indeed!

Monty Python, 'Allo 'Allo, Doctor Who, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, what is there not to love about the English.

And The Vicar of Dibley. She kind of grosses me out at times but the rest of the village is hilarious.

You forgot To a Manor Born and Yes Minister/Prime Minister, the 2/3 best series ever made!! IMHO, of course!!!! :)

@magerette
ahh no no no no...yes!

Back
Top Bottom