Non-irritating Let's Plays?

Generally an english written explanation of a game from some trusted voices (most RPGWatchers) is enough for me determine if I want to buy it. If someone has the capability to write a good description, then that means that person has some decent communication skills.

A video is not complete usually nor concise enough, and a much larger waste of time than reading a good summary. I'd rather waste my time playing rather than watching.

Now I agree if I am stuck and need help then I will watch a video. Veteran Maelstrom Arena in ESO comes to mind. In that case it is not a waste of time, as I can learn a lot of things quickly. I consider that more a tutorial than a let's play.

Generally an english written explanation of a game from some trusted voices (most RPGWatchers) is enough for me determine if I want to buy it. If someone has the capability to write a good description, then that means that person has some decent communication skills.

A video is not complete usually nor concise enough, and a much larger waste of time than reading a good summary. I'd rather waste my time playing rather than watching.

Now I agree if I am stuck and need help then I will watch a video. Veteran Maelstrom Arena in ESO comes to mind. In that case it is not a waste of time, as I can learn a lot of things quickly. I consider that more a tutorial than a let's play.
I understand that.

I was mostly replying to you saying/asking why anyone would watch 'these goofs'...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Uhm...uhmm.....me!

Well...unfortunately it's german only though. ^^
I am going into extreme depth of mechanics though most of the time and claim to have quite analytical and critical reviews most of the time.

Some other German Let's Players who I liked to watch for some specific videos were Gerugon (RPGs) and SittingBull (Strategy).

English:
Quill18, doing Stragey mostly. Very knowledgable and nice to watch

Honorable mention though, and I have to admit I almost watched nothing of her (I usually don't watch any Let's Plays at all), is Lilia, the only female Let's Player I have seen so far I found to be extremely nice to watch / listen to.

There's a whole raft of reasons to watch let's plays:

1. Hilarity. If a game is so bad that it's almost unplayable, it makes for some phenomenal entertainment to watch someone else attempt to barge through the game with sincerity and preferably blind. I could list countless examples.

2. An invaluable sleep aid. Some people sometimes need some kind of ASMR like noise to help them get to sleep, a let's play from someone who doesn't shriek much can work wonders sometimes. If you can find one that always works it's like golddust for a few weeks.

3. Quite a lot of games are more akin to television programmes anyway nowadays, such as Telltale games and stuff like Life is Strange or Game of Thrones games and, while there's no chance in hell I'd enjoy 'playing' these games and would never waste my time (not) 'playing' them, they work great as modern television, particularly if you can find someone watchable playing them.

4. Similar to Ripper's and Korandor's experience here, sometimes it's nice to have a look at a game one played a long time ago or currently playing, just to see how someone else approaches it, to see if other people enjoy it as much as oneself and to confirm stuff like difficulty or choices. Or just to 'reply' a game that you don't want to replay but want to wallow in for a bit for whatever reason.

I could list many more.

It seems quite a few people here have some kind of philosophical barrier to the concept, a sort of phobia if you like. It kind of reminds me of people who say "Why would I watch sports programmes when I can play sports instead", and you do get such people. It kinda misses the point.

Well, I certainly have no "philosophical barrier to the concept". Let's plays just don't interest me. There are a lot of things that do interest me, I haven't got enough time for all of them. And I have more unplayed games than I will be able to play in my remaining years.

I have nothing against Let's plays. I understand some of them can be annoying, but others are obviously quite good. Which is all very well for people who like to watch them. They're just not for me.

pibbur who'd rather read more mathematics. And program. And draw and paint. Play games. Play the guitar. Go to church. Spend time with the wife.

Yup. Tastes differ. I prefer doing other things. Hardly watch any TV programmes as well. I seem to lack the patience to sit and listen continuously. Even watching the news you’ll find me reading stuff on my ipad every now and then.
The exception to the rule: certain TV series I have READ about, the ones whose quality and contents match my interests, or that were picked by my hubby because he knows what I like.

Personally, I just don't get the overall appeal of watching someone else play a video game. I get that it might showcase the game before you purchase it, to make certain you're not wasting money, but I try to read up on products in advance, and ask a few friends as well as checking this site. I like to get a bit of information but I really don't want the game spoiled.

Retcon Raider is very good at making "non-irritating" videos. He's more in the tactical niche than general cRPG but he plays a few.

Retcon Raider is very good at making "non-irritating" videos. He's more in the tactical niche than general cRPG but he plays a few.

I tried watching a few of his but didn't like it so much.

His voice has a calming effect on me, kind of like a radio host from the 50's. He's also very meticulous…

But to be fair, I discovered him after watching a lot of ColonelRPG videos, who is inflicted by some severe verbal diarrhoea (he can never finish his thought), so maybe that's why I like Retcon so much.

I remember that you're a Battle Bro, you don't like Retcon's LP of that game?

His voice has a calming effect on me, kind of like a radio host from the 50's. He's also very meticulous…

But to be fair, I discovered him after watching a lot of ColonelRPG videos, who is inflicted by some severe verbal diarrhoea (he can never finish his thought), so maybe that's why I like Retcon so much.

I remember that you're a Battle Bro, you don't like Retcon's LP of that game?
I don't think I watched it. I don't remember which one of his I watched to be honest.

I migjt give him another shot.

I've never watched a full Lets Play. I only ever watch them if I want more detail on gameplay (pre purchase) than a marketing/lying trailer shows to help me decide.

That said, I highly recommend @Kordanor;. Not annoying. Great voice, smooth gameplay and verbal/brain skills to talk through his thought process without doing extremes of verbal diarrhea or stone silence.

Might want to speak German though if you use Kordanor. Most of his are in German; though he is quite fluent in English too. I always mute let's plays. I'm watching to learn how to get past something most of the time and I don't need to hear the blah-blah meanwhile.

Might want to speak German though if you use Kordanor. Most of his are in German; though he is quite fluent in English too. I always mute let's plays. I'm watching to learn how to get past something most of the time and I don't need to hear the blah-blah meanwhile.

Thanks, forgot to mention that.
Even when he loses me in the language it doesn't really matter. It's enough to see what hes doing and get a grasp on why. He also speaks calmly enough that I can understand most of the words except slang.

I cant remember if it was him but it took me a while to figure out "Jetzt haben wir den Salat” and "Klappe zu, Affe tot". I still dont understand anything about the monkey, just that it's dead.

Most youtubers annoy me, but over the years I've been mostly watching Nookrium for a quick look at new games & Nofairfight for some games he does (he has a nice voice).

Some other I occasionaly watch are Odd (positive personality), Zemalf, Marbozir and Bestinslot for dino and animal games.

I would offer that my own Let's Plays are not irritating. People say I have a calming voice and I just talk about RPGs while I play. Feel free to take a look if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom