What are you reading?

Don't know that I've ever got my head around the difference, but I'd say Gemmell would be "lower" between the two.

That's just my opinion of the ending, and I'm not sure it's shared by many. I read a comment somewhere that the entire triology was already complete when book 1 was published and all these delays are just for rewrite/edit purposes. No idea if that's true, but if it is then I suppose it's possible that "maybe 2014" could indicate any time during that year, including early on. I don't put a lot of stock in that rumor, for what little that's worth, so I'm not expecting to see book 3 before Christmas season 2014.

I have also read somewhere (may be good reads) that book 3 was finished but need editing etc. I hope they release it this year! Not sure why editing and stuff takes way too long.

Anyone have experience reading any D&D novels? I have some Audible credit I need to use and apparently they have like 450+ of the D&D books available. I'm in the mood for a D&D book but have no idea what to pick - any suggestions? Preferably not R.A. Salvatore, just because I want to try out some other lesser-known authors.

Well, I liked the Shandril series by Ed Greenwood; first 2 are much better than the last. His Elminster series is OK. Again, the first few books are better than the later ones.

Picked up something shorter for a change — a collection of Sci-Fi short stories actually, called Tuf Voyaging, by George R.R. Martin. Yeah, he wrote Sci-Fi before ASoIaF.

It's about one Haviland Tuf, an unsuccessful trader-turned-ecological engineer with a soft spot for cats, who talks much like Kruppe from the Malazan books, except not in third person ^^, and his voyages. Anyway, the stories were pretty good fun so far. Classic tales about classic Sci-Fi themes, aptly presented.

Catastrophe's Spell by Mayer Alan Brenner. It's been good stuff so far, though you'll probably have to buy the books used to get them now.

I'm reading China Miéville's Embassytown now, a sci-fi novel with language as its theme. I'm only a few chapters in but so far it's beautiful. This is my first book from the author, and it's already heading in a 5-star direction for me.

What I find interesting is the use of German language terms to describe certain alien concepts, something I've seen done this way only in Manga / Anime.
(..) They hammered it with sometimes-guns, that violently assert the manchmal, this stuff, our everyday, against the always of the immer.
This was a major WTF sentence when I read it first, now that I read it with a little bit of background info it actually makes some sense.

China Miéville's work, to me, is brilliant. Aside from the first Three, the remainder are all very different. I envy you discovering them for the first time!

After finishing Wise man's fear, on friends recommendation I started reading Blade itself fist book from First law trilogy from Joe Abercombie, finished around 100 pages so far I love it, there is no doubt I will buy rest of series.World where book takes place is dark and corrupt,all of 3 protagonist are are not likable and they are hard to relate but they are very interesting and well written.Fights are also very nicely written.

Last edited:
I'll have to give that a spin soon, nameless. Thanks.

Just read Songs My Mother Taught Me - the Marlon Brando autobiography thingy.

Interesting reading, I must say.

Finished Embassytown.

Picked up Blue Mars, finally. While I agree with those who say the books get slightly worse — which isn't saying much, since they are all awesome — as the focus shifts from geology to sociology over the course of Red -> Green -> Blue, I'm still enjoying it very much. I'm digging all the landscape detail as well as the socio-ecological stuff and politics; basically the same things I enjoyed reading about in the six original Dune novels.

Thanks to whoever recommended the Red Mars series on these forums.

I'm reading about myself in The Idiot. I really enjoy the characters, so many I need to keep a separate note of them all.

Anyone got any recommendations for a book that dives deep into the recesses of the human condition, akin to Trier, stripped of tabooes and whatnot?

I just started Before they are hanged second book of First law trilogy.I loved first book so I can't wait to dive deeper into sequel.

I just started Before they are hanged second book of First law trilogy.I loved first book so I can't wait to dive deeper into sequel.
I bought the first one based on your recommendation, so if it sucks, I'm coming for you mister. ;)

Currently working on Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore. Not bad stuff with a few really funny lines, but not really his best book (Fool was bust-a-gut funny to me). Still a hundred pages for it to take off (or crash and burn).

I bought the first one based on your recommendation, so if it sucks, I'm coming for you mister. ;)

If you don't like it feel free to curse my name.;)

Few friends have recommended Lies of Locke Lamora anyone has opinion about this book?
After first law and Kite runner by Khaled Hosseini(which I am also reading atm but fairly slowly since First law has priority ), I will start either that or Belgariad series which DTE recommended.

Lies of Locke Larmora is decent. It didn't blow me away, but kept me entertained. When I read the prologue, I actually thought it was stupid so I put it away for a few months. Then I started reading again and found it better than I had initially thought. So if the intro doesn't entice you to finish, just keep pushing through for a little longer.

The second book, Red Seas Under Red Skies, was not as good as the first book, but I still enjoyed reading it. Never read anything in the series after that.

Just finished "the stars my destination" by Alfred Bester. Great read, constant flow of interesting sci fi ideas, and the least likeable protagonist I've ever come across. :) Yup, the main guy is beyond unpleasant - not an anti-hero in a cool way, but utterly morally repugnant. I couldn't stop turning the pages on this one to find out what happened next. Incredible use of words as images (spinning and turning across the page) as the text reached its conclusion.

I hear his other book is ace too - "the demolished man". I'm going to have to get it now!

Well, I liked the Shandril series by Ed Greenwood; first 2 are much better than the last. His Elminster series is OK. Again, the first few books are better than the later ones.

I read Spellfire years ago. Seem to remember that I really enjoyed the characters, especially the knights of myth drannor. I didn't realise it was a series - maybe i'll give it another go 20 years on! :)

Just finished Emphyrio by jack vance, another SF novel. It starts with the main character tied to a slab with his skull open and electrodes pinned to his brain - he's then questioned by three guys with clearly nasty intent. He gives his name, falsely, as Emphyrio. The book then tells the story of the man's life and how he came to be in such a shoddy situation.

It's a great opening, and I was totally hooked on it from there in. The novel is very slow paced, with loads of time spent on the main characters childhood with his wood carving father, but the characters are fantastic and their world is extremely well thought out and compelling. There are some great ideas in here too, such as the puppet show that uses little alien creatures, who get lead roles in tragic plays with real death scene conclusions when they start becoming aware of what they're doing. Everyone seems to know this, but its so normalized that no one questions it.

Of course, all the way through the book you have the opening scene in mind so you're waiting for it all to go wrong…. Recommended!

Back
Top Bottom