Votes: 2 2.4%
  • NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Gothic

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Which cRPG has your favourite endgame? The endgame includes the actual ending as well as the gameplay immediately leading up to it, so please consider both elements when voting.

Bloodlines received my vote. The game doesn't actually have a particularly good endgame in any way, but the taxi, car sequences in the last bit of the game is enough for me to give it my vote. They are some of the best and most atmospheric moments I've had with video games.

Last edited:
Of the options I've only finished Gothic and BG2:ToB, and the latter has an ending that is too tedious in terms of gameplay. My Gothic ending was very satisfying though, and it felt good to not actually have to hack everyone into pieces.

The first choice would be the ending in Planescape:Torment. It had very satisfactory climax resolution from the deep stories and characters build up prior to that. Fallout's ending also one of my favorite - it captured the dark mood and uncertain future in a post-apocalypse world.

Way too easy to choose. ;) Even though I liked the ending for The Witcher, it was nowhere near as perfect and emotionally moving as that of Planescape: Torment. I remember shedding a teardrop or two upon completing the game - something that had never happened before or has transpired since then.

I never played PS:T, so I'l have to choose between TW and Gothic. Gothic was pretty rushed at the ending, in the last chapter everything was expected while in TW everything in the end was well plotted. I'll go for TW.

Had to go with Planescape:Torment for just being the best writing and story in an endgame I've experienced. There were faults, but the opportunity for failure there was very high--think how the end could have been screwed up in a variety of ways if it had been rushed or poorly conceived. Instead, the end for me exceeded my expectations instead of as in so many games, falling short.

Second place is The Witcher for another complex and interesting resolution, with Gothic in close contention.

I only finished Gothic, KOtOR, and Vampire so I will restrict a real vote. Kotor was a letdown, once you find out you were revan, it was all downhill. Gothic becomes great from the moment you meet xardas(if it wasn't great before :p) and Vtm: bloodlines was so great with the story and the NPCs but the endgame was a shooter and nothing more. But the surprises at the end were great so I would vote VTM: bloodlines

I haven't played NWN2:MtB yet (I haven't had time, darn it!), but of all the rest PS:T won my vote, hands down. What an emotionally impacting experience.

I haven't played NWN2; other than that, my favorite endgame out of this list was the one from Jade Empire.
My favorite endgame of all the cRPGs I played would be that of LoL 3, however. The end boss fight may not be the most brilliant in history, but I really love the *complete* endgame (with the stuff that will happen if you sit through the credits). Probably because it tied up some loose ends from the other games and gave me the chance to settle some minor affairs concerning NPCs that had bothered me since LoL 1...

KotOR and MotB both had great endings, but let's face it, this is hardly even a competition - Planescape: Torment simply had the best writing (ending included) in any game so far.

While many of the games listed have great endings, they just can't touch Planescape: Torment in my book.

However, if a reverse poll with the worst endings was to hit this site then Mask of the Betrayer would get my vote in a heart beat. A great game with the biggest let down of an ending I've ever seen in all my years of gaming. >:O

KotOR and MotB both had great endings, but let's face it, this is hardly even a competition - Planescape: Torment simply had the best writing (ending included) in any game so far.

Agreed, probably the only game to ever manage an emotional impact on a par with cinema or literature.

Did anyone read the round table thing on the iron tower studios linked to recently? Chris Avellone (planescape writer) was talking about settings I think, and said that he tried to think about what moment in the game would be the unbelievably cool moment and then work back from there, and cited the planescape ending. Certainly worked brilliantly in this case, the whole of the rest of the game had built up to it perfectly.

Shame nobody's proposed a rewrite of it with a new engine and some extra / deleted content, given the writing was already so perfect and engines these days are so cheap I'd have thought it would be a winner, there's enough guaranteed sales on nostalgia / young people who've heard so much from older players about how great it was who can't bring themselves to play such an old interface & graphics.

While many of the games listed have great endings, they just can't touch Planescape: Torment in my book.

However, if a reverse poll with the worst endings was to hit this site then Mask of the Betrayer would get my vote in a heart beat. A great game with the biggest let down of an ending I've ever seen in all my years of gaming. >:O

Which ending did you get? I was a bit let down by the one I got the first time, but the one I got the second time was much better.

If you're referring to

not being able to tear down the Wall

I sorta understand where you're coming from... but it does make a pretty refreshing change from most games, which tend to end up with you succeeding in everything you try.

Which ending did you get? I was a bit let down by the one I got the first time, but the one I got the second time was much better.

If you're referring to

not being able to tear down the Wall

I sorta understand where you're coming from... but it does make a pretty refreshing change from most games, which tend to end up with you succeeding in everything you try.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. I got the "best" ending and as such it was a nice ending and all but the aforementioned "sorry you can't do that ... Alrighty then, moving along" handling of one the major themes/threads throughout the game was such a slap in the face for me that I was still staring at nothing in shock when the credits were over.

And just to rub salt in the bleeding wound I was forced to watch Kaelyn the Dove make her stand and fall on her own while I was supposedly frolicking around the countryside pretending to be a farmer even though I KNEW without a shadow of a doubt that my character would have been standing right there beside her come what may.

I'm not allowed to tear down the wall. Fair enough, but at least give me a chance to go out in a blaze of glory while trying to do what I spent the entire game convincing others was the right thing to do.

Last edited:
I havent seen even half of those endings yet so its hard to say. For what I know Id vote for gothic but som of those games might have better endings i.e planescape: Torment so who knows.

Just finished Gothic for the first time yesterday in fact, which leaves only Ultima V on that list I haven't finished. I liked the ending, although the talking part seemed a little short on detail, but I still give my vote to PS:T

I liked BG:2's ending although it was predictable.

I preferred Arcanum's and Wiz8's ending much better though.

The best was Questron though. The game was cheesy but the whole pomp and circumstance it gave you was pretty entertaining. It made it a real treat to play with a reward like that.

I went with BG ToB. I haven't played Ps:T (Yet!) so I had to wave off from that one. I'm glad to see some props given to an old school game in U5, for the time, it had a great ending!

Back
Top Bottom