Deus Ex: Universe - Triolgy Rumors

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
While we haven't heard that much about Deus Ex: Universe yet it seems there are some new rumors the series will be a new trilogy. Playstation Trophies has more information.

New details have emerged regarding Deus Ex: Universe, the Square Enix project announced last year as an “ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games.”

Square Enix hasn’t elaborated on what these core games are, but we’ve been chatting to some insiders who have shared a few interesting bits of info.

According to one of our sources, Deus Ex: Universe was initially conceived as one huge game, but was split into a trilogy because the project was considered too ambitious.

Across these games, we're told that player decisions will be carried over in much the same manner as the Mass Effect trilogy. Indeed, the idea is to transfer even more info between instalments than BioWare’s celebrated sci-fi RPG series.

Our source also says that the core Deus Ex: Universe games will be coming to consoles, although Square Enix has already said that further “experiences” will be released for “other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc.”

The source adds that all of the information shared is accurate as of last year, but may be subject to change. In particular, the number of console games released under the Deus Ex: Universe banner could shift according to a variety of factors.

In addition to this, further information has emerged from a separate source who has seen promotional material for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, a trademark for which was filed by Square Enix back in March.

We’re told that the promotional material featured Deus Ex: Human Revolution star Adam Jensen and Deux Ex: The Fall protagonist Ben Saxon. Deus Ex: The Fall is a mobile (and Steam) title released last year.

Could Deus Ex: Mankind Divided be the first Deus Ex: Universe release, with Jensen and Saxon as the lead men? It's possible, although our sources would not confirm or deny.

When Deus Ex: Universe was announced, Square Enix released a piece of concept art representing a “'ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes.” You can see it below.

“The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance,” said Square Enix. “This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.”

A Deus Ex: Universe logo appeared in an EU trademark database last week, sparking speculation that a proper reveal would come at E3 2014. But it wasn't to be. Square Enix has yet to formaly elaborate on its plans.
More information.

If they'll build upon DX:HR I'll buy.
If that trilogy is two more The Fall phonegames, count me out!

Did someone else read the words "project flare" between the lines?

I'm wary of this. Seems to me that Square is ready to destroy the franchise to make what they think will be a cash-cow.

Tip Square, nobody liked the boss fight you forced on DXHR.

Yea, they sort of milked HR with DLC and a repackaging and then a phone game. In that time they could have created a full new Deus Ex HR: 2.

Totally agreed, Thrasher. If they wouldn't have been stupid and greedy, they'd already have doubled their profits with HR2. If they would've have made the next one immediately after HR, they could have used the same engine. Now it is badly outdated.

I'd like to disagree. They did nothing unusual with the DLC. Also, the iOS game was above average for that kind of game and game audience. You simply shouldn't expect a core pc game on a mobile platform, but that's what the most vocal opponents did. I don't know, what they were hoping for? A core game on a mobile platform for free? Wrong expectations, the same way as with Dungeon Keeper F2P. The truth for DX: The Fall maybe is, that it was too much of a core game for this casual platform. I also don't like restrictive thoughts from the beginning, like "DX has to be played on PC/Console/... only".

The second point is, that I don't think they gave up plans for a new core DX in favor of this mobile game. Their marketing focus during the last years was definitely on Thief. We all remember that the development process of Thief was a little bit painful and they definitely didn't want to compete with their own sister franchise for public reception. But the same time Thief was released, almost instantly the hints about the future of DX and an early concept art popped up. So I think they have already been in a pre-production phase for a long time now. The iOS game wasn't part of that plan, it was an experiment for Square Enix to broaden their portfolio and audience with an established brand, just like all the others did (e.g. Sega with Total War F2P). As it seems it failed, but I think it was worth a try and it was an honorable attempt to improve the game market on mobile devices. I would never rank it in the hall of fame of my all-time favorites, but it was an entertaining product in its own set of games.

Back
Top Bottom