Fallout 4 Settlements/crafting

Hmm, I get new purified water in my workbench every day without a scavenging bench: 2 water purifiers with about 17 settlers (a lot allocated to trade routes).

And you don't have it in any settlement? Odd.
Well, it might be a bug on my side.

You need an excess supply though. If food and water is being sent to other settlements to feed them then that may explain it. I have only one settlement (the Drive-In) that isn't self sufficient with an excess of production. And that one has 2 supply line provisioners only. No crop or water production. Just a power generator, a beacon, 1 turret, and 2 beds. Well, also the Red Rocket has no settlers or food either.

Also, I thought the limit on number of settlers was 10+charisma. Well my charisma is 6 and I have 17 settlers at Sanctuary. Do the NPC settlers from the minutemen questline not count? Or if you assign settlers to trade routes, do they not count? Or is it just bugged? :)

The number displayed is bugged. Beta patch doesn't fix it. :(
Settlers on trade routes do count!
Although if you ask me - they shouldn't as they're travelling around.

So I'm now about 20 hours in, build the necessary stuff in Sanctaury for the quests to complete and could now build more there and in other settlements.
However I'm generally not into crafting/base building and the UI makes it even worse.

So what will I miss if I ignore settlement building at all? What are the drawbacks?

Beside a few Minutemen and initial main quests plus later teleportation "gadget" also in a main quest, you don't have to build anything. Especially if you won't side with Minutemen in the end.
However, without settlements you can't have nor use Minutemen artillery. Not that it's necessary to complete the game, but for fun, to nail those bloody oversized mosquitos, an overkill like that is perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Anyone else have the bed bug? I had 25 beds and 17 settlers and they always complained about not having enough beds. Idiots can't seem to find them apparently.

So I built a bell of summoning and tediously assinged them each to their own beds. Even assigned a few provisioners beds. Happiness rose from 45 up to 70.

Now it's plummeting again and down near 50. WTF?

I've got enough food, water, and defense (no attacks there yet). Even strung up so power lines for indoor lights and turning on the TVs. And made some rungs and paintings...

Anyone else have the bed bug?

It may not be a bug, just finicky pathfinding.

I had built a bed up some stairs and at night the settlers would walk halfway up the stairs and then just stand there sadly. I checked and even though it looked connected and you could easily walk across, the stairs weren't quite aligned precisely with the second floor of the building.

I fiddled with the stairs until the match was exact, and now they go up and down on their own with no problem.

Anyone else have the bed bug? I had 25 beds and 17 settlers and they always complained about not having enough beds. Idiots can't seem to find them apparently.
Yes.
You may also hear they have problems (not specified) although there are none.
You may also hear them starving and being thirsty although food and water is green.
Ignore it.

So I built a bell of summoning and tediously assinged them each to their own beds. Even assigned a few provisioners beds. Happiness rose from 45 up to 70.
Scrap the bell and ignore happiness unless you're after 100% happiness achievement. If you are, use a big area settlement, fill it with clinic level 3 stands, send a mass of settlers from other settlements there, then put them as sellers on those clinic level 3 stands.

Now it's plummeting again and down near 50. WTF?
Did I mention that you should ignore it?

I've got enough food, water, and defense (no attacks there yet). Even strung up so power lines for indoor lights and turning on the TVs. And made some rungs and paintings…
Scrap everything that's not basic (food/water/defense/beds) and from bonus stuff keep only, as I mentioned above, clinics level 3.
TV you say? It totally destroys stats of the settlement, happiness included. Dunno if it's a bug or a feature.
Scrap it first.

Poor settlers tryin to watch the Wire, and then fifty super mutants show up. I might log back in at some point just to break every damn tv in Boston! You know those combat skills are going right into the toilet the moment the TV's work again, lol.

TV you say? It totally destroys stats of the settlement, happiness included. Dunno if it's a bug or a feature.
Scrap it first.

Lovely. I had read about it but didn't know if it was true. Have you verified this? Of course the house I decided to electrify and add lights had 2 TVs in it….. :/

Has anyone else had workshop objects turn into static parts of the background environment?

I planted a huge field of mutfruit and corn for my adhesive-making needs. But most of the plants never started producing fruit, and still stranger, they can't be selected in the workshop screen, so I can't remove or replace them.

If you don't have settlers to farm them, they can die. You can shoot them and then repair them with their food type, sometimes. Sometimes repair doesn't seem to work. Sometimes adding more settlers to farm will repair them. It seems like a buggy system. Not predictable.

Last edited:
They're not dead, they've just become completely non-interactive, like they were parts of the background environment instead of workshop objects.

They won't produce fruit and you can't assign a settler to them. They are effectively dead. Non-interacting. Until you shoot them. Then you can repair them and move them.

This … worked. Thanks, but what a weird system.

Back
Top Bottom