Project Eternity - Interviews @ RPS, IndieRPGs

Yeah, but that's just a wishlist of features and properties, and tells me nothing of what the game is actually about and how they want to achieve that. Regarding the mechanics and more specific design goals we got some useful info since, but initially it was just "we'll take the best of all these previous games and it will be totally awesome! You know you can trust us!"
And, to be honest their reply regarding the story: "The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go." Is so vague that it's impossible to judge if it is really generic or something more interesting.

Personally, I only need one sentence:

Chris Avellone, Tim Cain & Co are working on this without any publisher to hold them back :).

Glad to see there's at least a few places left on the Internet where good old classic High Fantasy is appreciated. Everywhere I go, people now seem to regard it with nothing less than bile-spewing disgust... (though I do like dark fantasy as well)

I wish that Rock Paper Shotgun guy would stop harping on about "innovation" and Kickstarter's "dangerous" use of nostalgia. It's such nonsense.

Glad to see there's at least a few places left on the Internet where good old classic High Fantasy is appreciated. Everywhere I go, people now seem to regard it with nothing less than bile-spewing disgust… (though I do like dark fantasy as well)

I wish that Rock Paper Shotgun guy would stop harping on about "innovation" and Kickstarter's "dangerous" use of nostalgia. It's such nonsense.

Yeah. Innovation is a bit of a fashion word, to me alot of times it's just a nicer way of saying "dumbed down". And what's wrong with nostalgia? Sure I like that they're making something new, and starting an original IP. But would anyone complain if they said they were doing Baldurs Gate 3 or Planescape 2? I sure as hell wouldn't. I don't necessarily need NEW, I just want MORE of what I love.

As for the setting, I'm absolutely fine with High Fantasy, although I like the "Arcanumish" twist. I would also have been fine with Cyberpunk, Sci-Fi, Technofantasy and several others. As long as it's good, I don't care where (or when) it's at.

Last edited:
RPS may be critical, but Feargus did post that 5% of all BACKERS of PE came from RPS links, and that they were the #1 external referral for backers. SO. It's all good.

Thaurin said:
Yeah, like people would complain if there would be another TV series or movie set in current times. "I'm so sick of the contemporary genre, I wish they'd do something new!" hahaha
Bad analogy. It isn't about the era but about the theme. Imagine if all contemporary TV series were about the Police.

Well, that's actually exactly what I mean. You could do a police theme in a fantasy setting, yes? ;) The point is that you could pretty much do anything you want. It's a setting. It doesn't have to be about a group of heroes vanquishing a terrible evil all the time. If people are tired of the fantasy setting, it just means that developers aren't doing really doing new things with it.

You could do a police theme in a fantasy setting, yes? ;)

If people are tired of the fantasy setting, it just means that developers aren't doing really doing new things with it.
I don't think it is the Fantasy itself but the traditional presentation and the same old stereotypes.

Btw, I will take my hat off if someone is able to pull off a Police/Detective game in a typical Fantasy setting. Perhaps a Fantasy Noir RPG in black and white might be a good idea for the next Kickstarter :).

Last edited:
Works for me, I prefer fantasy settings, high fantasy, not more of 'dark, gritty' that all fantasy games seem to use nowadays.

Exactly. One of the main things I liked about BG1 over BG2 was that in 1 the world was bright. It was fun. It wasn't dark and depressing.

Many of the best things in life are not new ideas. This idea that innovation is required for a good game is pure bullshit. I'll say it again, something classic done very well is 10x better than something new done poorly. I hope Obsidian can make the quality grade this time.

Many of the best things in life are not new ideas. This idea that innovation is required for a good game is pure bullshit. I'll say it again, something classic done very well is 10x better than something new done poorly. I hope Obsidian can make the quality grade this time.

I agree and that why many mainstream reviews started bothering me, because they were taking off points for "not being innovative" or having "archaic gameplay." If it worked before, why not now? Unless it was because of technical limitations, of course.

But I'd like to see a fantasy setting where actual stories happen one day. Not the epic quest or heroic stuff. Some classic adventure games had some interesting stuff (The Longest Journey, Tex Murphy with the Noir/sci-fi angle).

Well, I guess RGPs are too combat-focused to do really interesting things.

Allow me to say I whole heartily agree with you. DA2 could be used as an example.

Btw, I will take my hat off if someone is able to pull off a Police/Detective game in a typical Fantasy setting. Perhaps a Fantasy Noire RPG in black and white might be a good idea for the next Kickstarter :).

I am interested in a Police/Detective game in a typical Fantasy setting also. Why hasn't anyone made one yet?

I am interested in a Police/Detective game in a typical Fantasy setting also. Why hasn't anyone made one yet?

Didn't Ultima 7 start with a "police" investigation. Also, there was one quest in BG2 about something like this (I love that quest).

Although, I think Fantasy games tend to be a bit "everywhere" in term of themes, so you never get a focus on this aspect.

Well, in contrast to the myriad of people who welcome another fantasy setting, I'll just reiterate my fatigue of the genre. And I don't think it a simple case of the grass being greener… but rather of it being done to death over the years.

Regardless, all we can hope is that Obsidian will bring fresh ideas to the table; Torment was a fantasy setting, afterall - a twisted, pseudo-philosophical mystery story that had you in open conversations with abishai on the streets.

If you hate fantasy so much, there's always the other big kickstarter going. Go give them all your moneys! They're going to need it to reach their goal.

If you hate fantasy so much, there's always the other big kickstarter going. Go give them all your moneys! They're going to need it to reach their goal.

Pledged to Arakion, WL2, P:E, Shadowrun, & Defense Grid 2. For a guy who normally buys 2 or 3 games an entire year, the well runneth dry :)

Dresden files comes to mind (books and short-lived TV series)

Tv series was nothing like the books....the sexified dresden...how wrong is that.

Back
Top Bottom