Stellaris

Yes, that's the doomstack issue I was referring to. They're promising to deal with that in the upcoming patch, but no details have been divulged yet. I believe they'll probably have a fleet cap (possibly based on admiral skill) or some sort of "system attrition" mechanic.
The galactic terrain stuff, the chokepoints provided by hyperlanes and the new star fortresses should already make warfare a lot more strategic.

As for the combat itself (as in fleet-to-fleet, with fleet stances and the like), I don't think they'll flesh that out much more as that's not really in the scope of this game. You'll need to play an RTS a la Homeworld for that.

Gotcha, thanks.

I kinda enjoyed this game upon release - but it didn't hold my attention for very long. But I think it has the potential to be very good - so I'll try it again when it feels more complete.

As for combat, I think games like Sins of a Solar Empire have demonstrated that tactics and tech can be a big part of combat in real-time 4X/Grand strategy games. For me, a very big part of the fun of technology is tangible and distinct feedback when I upgrade or focus on certain things.

As in, if tech is just a number and doesn't have a personality that's both visible and significant in gameplay terms - then I find it incredibly boring and pointless.

Gotcha, thanks.

I kinda enjoyed this game upon release - but it didn't hold my attention for very long. But I think it has the potential to be very good - so I'll try it again when it feels more complete.

As for combat, I think games like Sins of a Solar Empire have demonstrated that tactics and tech can be a big part of combat in real-time 4X/Grand strategy games. For me, a very big part of the fun of technology is tangible and distinct feedback when I upgrade or focus on certain things.

As in, if tech is just a number and doesn't have a personality that's both visible and significant in gameplay terms - then I find it incredibly boring and pointless.
I haven't played this but I think masters of orion 2 probably handled that mix the best from the games I have played.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I haven't played this but I think masters of orion 2 probably handled that mix the best from the games I have played.

MoO2 is my favorite 4X game :)

But it's not real-time - and I think 21 years should be enough time for some sequel to outdo it ;)

The only reason I want a great real-time 4X space game is due to multiplayer. Turn-based strategy is my preference - but it's just too slow for multiplayer in most cases.

MoO2 is my favorite 4X game :)

But it's not real-time - and I think 21 years should be enough time for some sequel to outdo it ;)

The only reason I want a great real-time 4X space game is due to multiplayer. Turn-based strategy is my preference - but it's just too slow for multiplayer in most cases.
I think it's difficult to do real time combat well on such a scale. I think that it would be better to have something like total war then where you enter a separate map to play the battles in and or have the choice to autoresolve...

For sure! MoO2 certainly did well on that front (black hole guns!) but I consider Sword of the Stars the champion there. I mean - seriusly! You go from lasers, missiles, and rock throwers to having thumpers, plasma torps, anti-missile weapons, drones, lightning guns that arc from ship to ship, mines, tractor beams, and so on.

SotS2 has even more but it has other issues. I like it but most folks like the original better. (Just don't buy the original on Steam if you want multi-player. The keys they have been giving out since around June flat out don't work. Stick with the GOG version.)

For sure! MoO2 certainly did well on that front (black hole guns!) but I consider Sword of the Stars the champion there. I mean - seriusly! You go from lasers, missiles, and rock throwers to having thumpers, plasma torps, anti-missile weapons, drones, lightning guns that arc from ship to ship, mines, tractor beams, and so on.

SotS2 has even more but it has other issues. I like it but most folks like the original better. (Just don't buy the original on Steam if you want multi-player. The keys they have been giving out since around June flat out don't work. Stick with the GOG version.)

Certainly, SotS was better in terms of tactical gameplay - but, then again, that was pretty much the entire game.

MoO2 is my favorite because it is so very rich and varied. SimTex truly were masters of game design, in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of 4x space games but from the ones I've played Stellaris is my favorite. Probably because of the thousands of possible events you can get that make it more than just 'build ships, move units, resolve battles, next turn'.

There are indeed a lot more events now (though not sure how many are in the free patches and how many in the DLC). I am on my 2nd game now after the Synthetic Dawn release and while I might get an event twice a few times, for most part they all feel unique and interesting.
Actually, I would say the earlier part of the game, where you're exploring the universe around you, is arguably the best part. :)

There are indeed a lot more events now (though not sure how many are in the free patches and how many in the DLC). I am on my 2nd game now after the Synthetic Dawn release and while I might get an event twice a few times, for most part they all feel unique and interesting.
Actually, I would say the earlier part of the game, where you're exploring the universe around you, is arguably the best part. :)
I may have a look then. Thanks for the update...

Very interesting DD today on how they will rework combat and tackle the doomstack issue: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-96-doomstacks-and-ship-design.1058152/

I have to say, most of those changes sound pretty good. I'm especially glad to see the disengagement mechanic, the combat roles returning and the fact they're doing something about the constant juggling of your ship's power sources. Man, I wasn't even aware how annoying the latter is until I read the DD. :)
Not sure entirely how I feel about the "force disparity" modifier: if it isn't overdone that's fine, but at first sight it seems a bit of an artificial construction to make sure smaller fleets at least do some damage instead of being utterly evaporated without destroying a single enemy ship.

All these DDs are making the current iteration of the game unplayable though. I need these features now.

I am fairly hyped for this expansion, honestly, and from what I can tell, the (free) patch that will accompany it will majorly reshape the game. The one thing I'm not completely sold on are the colossi ("planet-killers", think Death Star), but we'll see.

This expansion can't come soon enough! I've been holding off playing because every single feature they unveiled made it harder and harder to keep to continue without said feature. :)

I've had Stellaris in my library for a year now and still haven't played it because I'm waiting for some kind final version. I should know better, how long has Crusader Kings II been out and they are still adding things?
If I want a complete Stellaris it will probably arrive in 2022, along with Stellaris II!

I wouldn't expect them to, Chien. You can actually predict that just from the trailer above. Does that look anything like the game? Has any 4X game ever featured more than a few flashes of gameplay? I swear, if they wanted to advertise chess, we would see the story of a couple of pawns - one of whom gets knocked off by a scantily dressed queen.

The simple fact is that these games are a lot more fun to play than to watch. (Except for Russians, who can somehow watch chess tournaments and get excited. Must be something in the Volga's water. ;)

I should know better, how long has Crusader Kings II been out and they are still adding things?
Or EU4. But they do actually, eventually, make the whole thing available. As you indicated - probably when they want to start talking about the next game in the series (Endless Space 1) or when they just don't want to work on it at all anymore (Victoria 2).

I've had Stellaris in my library for a year now and still haven't played it because I'm waiting for some kind final version. I should know better, how long has Crusader Kings II been out and they are still adding things?
If I want a complete Stellaris it will probably arrive in 2022, along with Stellaris II!

Why not just play it and enjoy it? These games are never finished so if you're waiting until it is, you'll wait like 5 more years when Stellaris 2 is released.

Back
Top Bottom