Mass Effect 3 - Interview @ CVG Part 2

aries100

SasqWatch
Part two of the interview for ME3 is up at CVG. They talk about, sound, music, art and working with Dice. Here's a quote on the building of combat levels:
BioWare tend to build spaces that often feel like they exist only to have a fight in, not to live and work in. How important is it to fix that?
NL: Absolutely important. All the departments are involved now - we'll have writers and combat designers in and we'll really talk about the history of the places.
DL: We're really pushing the variety within the levels, so you're not walking into the same room just decorated differently. We're really trying to push each room as a functional space. A hallway has a function for people working there, and we're just trying to really make sense of it in the game.
More information.

you don't want to walk through a room and go, "okay nothing's going to happen here. There's no cover for me here," and then you walk around the next corner and you just see a sea of these chest-high things - you basically see the fight ahead

Oh so somebody there did actually play the game they made. Glad they are at least attempting to make things a little less hamfistedly obvious.

I also liked this little bit here:

I'm doing something right now where I've built the environment as an undamaged structure, and then I start smashing bits up. We try to design the architecture first before we blow it up, rather than just having a box and cramming destroyed bits in it. We're really thinking about how someone from the future designed this building, and whether it functions well. Then we blow it up!

Sounds like they've decided to create ruined buildings rather than a combat run with ruined building themed decor slopped on. That was something Obsidian did rather successfully (if unevenly at times) in Fallout: New Vegas.

The new Assault Rifle has different layers that change depending on what type of environment you're in, for example. There are lots of interactions between sounds - you can hear the different decay as shots echo off walls.
Welcome to 1998 :p

Back
Top Bottom