Grinding Gear Games - Tencent Takes Majority Stake

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCInvasion Grinding Gear Games, the maker of Path of Exile, have been acquired by Tencent.

New Zealand based Grinding Gear Games has had great success with their ARPG Path of Exile thanks to their no pay to win monetisation policy and regular content updates. Today that have announced that Chinese publisher and all-round mega-company Tencent has acquired a majority stake in Grinding Gear Games.

According to GGG’s CEO Chris Wilson, this latest move will not impact the way in which the game operated or the company is run. The company will still be independently run by the current team with the change being that they have financial reporting obligations to Tencent. They say there will be “minimal impact on our philosophy and operations”.

[...]
More information.

Isn't Path of Exile just yet another MMO and not arpg?
Whatever… So far Tencent didn't touch creative process anywhere which proved to be fruitful, IIRC different acquisitions in the past decade resulted in $18 billion profit last year.

They're not forcing scams in games - if a product didn't have lootboxes and energy phonecrap already, they do not force developers to add any of that rubbish.
Are they some sort of gaming savior? Sadly, not really. As I said, if a product didn't… Well, if a product had lootboxes before Tencent buying it's developer, they didn't order removing those scams.

But they didn't buy then kill a studio. Not yet. Seems that Tencent ain't EA. Again, not yet. Here's hope they won't ever be.

btw, that reminded me… All 3 King's Avatar OVAs are supposed to be available on Tencent's youtube channel. ONA to be more precise (original net animation).

@PCInvasion Grinding Gear Games, the maker of Path of Exile, have been acquired by Tencent.

More information.

Isn't this just standard non-sense by all acquired companies ?

"According to GGG’s CEO Chris Wilson, this latest move will not impact the way in which the game operated or the company is run. The company will still be independently run by the current team with the change being that they have financial reporting obligations to Tencent. They say there will be “minimal impact on our philosophy and operations”.

In this case it's not. Read what I wrote above. If a game is singleplayer only, Tencent buying it's developer won't suddenly force Mass Effect 3 multiplayer in it's sequels. Nor will transfrom Kotor 3 into MMO. It'll continue as strictly singleplayer. If actual developers don't want to scam fans, of course.
The other side of the coin however is the "independance" being a case also in products that include scams already. Tencent will not remove microtransactions after buying a developer of some lootboxes riddled phonegame.

But that's how Tencent operates today. Will it change in near or far future, it's hard to know. I have yet to see any developer studio closed or firing a single employee after Tencent's acquisition.
Here's the top list by game revenues:
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-25-companies-game-revenues/

Last edited:
Remember, boys'n'gals:
Tencent lives and thrives because there are users who actually play and buy their stuff.

tumblr_ot0bw3EIMP1s1bwvio3_400.gif

Isn't Path of Exile just yet another MMO and not arpg?
It not an MMO. You can play single player or in a party, both require you to be online.
You can play with a party of up to six people at the same time. So nothing massive. :)

Gameplay follows the concept of ARPGs like Diablo.

Remember, boys'n'gals:
Tencent lives and thrives because there are users who actually play and buy their stuff.

What kind of statement is that?

No. Tencent thrives because their suits do not force anything on creative process. You won't see Tencent CEO bullshitting publically all their games will have multiplayer.

It not an MMO. You can play single player or in a party, both require you to be online.
You can play with a party of up to six people at the same time. So nothing massive. :)

Gameplay follows the concept of ARPGs like Diablo.
Sorry any game that requires a server to play is not single-player. :cool:

So any game like that will not get my support, and that includes Diablo III.

Last edited:
Whoa, I've been greatly looking forward to the Path of Exile game, but if I have to be online to play the bloody thing, I'll happily say no and deride the entire project for the farce that it is. I'm ok with making such a thing an option, but if you attempt to force me into it, you'll get naught but derision from me, and certainly no monies.

Whoa, I've been greatly looking forward to the Path of Exile game, but if I have to be online to play the bloody thing, I'll happily say no and deride the entire project for the farce that it is. I'm ok with making such a thing an option, but if you attempt to force me into it, you'll get naught but derision from me, and certainly no monies.
Yep Path of Exile is basically an online F2P ARPG with all the DLC/Expansions you can buy.
Path of Exile is a free-to-play online action role-playing video game developed and published by Grinding Gear Games. An open beta for Microsoft Windows was released in January 2013, and the game was officially released in October 2013

Why have you just been looking forward to it? It's been playable with plenty of content (and grinding, as one might expect given the name of the developer) for years now.

The game is free-to-play and the only microtransactions that most players recommend are the stash expansions, but they aren't needed if you keep on top of sorting it and don't hoard everything, and those microtransactions (I think, anyway) are reasonably priced. The other microtransactions are supporter packs (which many longtime supporters on the forums say they'll no longer be purchasing because of this acquisition) and way overpriced cosmetic stuff. So you certainly don't have to give them money to get a lot of enjoyment from the game.

Personally don't get why needing to be online to play games is such a big deal for some people these days (unlike back when dial-up was the only option and it tied up your phone line).

I've enjoyed the game quite a bit and am kind of worried about the reactions of people about this recent development (I don't know anything about Tencent other than people don't like it), but I'm willing to wait and see how things go.

Personally don't get why needing to be online to play games is such a big deal for some people these days (unlike back when dial-up was the only option and it tied up your phone line).
It's called gaming preferences Rhawkas.
The fundamental doctrine of game theory is that players make choices on the basis of preferences that take into account all factors that can influence their behavior. Classical game theory requires that preference orderings be categorical, meaning that they are individual, unconditional, and immutable.
That all their is to it.

Path of Exile is the best a-RPG out there; tons of content, tons of fun, and truly free to play. Noone really cares whether or not you're stuck in 1990 and refuse to play online games - the only person you're shortchanging is yourself if you're at all a fan of the original Diablo.

Having said that, I'm really leery of this buyout… PoE has been releasing massive amounts of content the past few years and recently even expanded to xBox after virtually doubling the size of the game with [free] expansions. The game has been nothing but an exemplary f2p model with no strings attached and I only fear this might change now, given time.

Path of Exile is the best a-RPG out there; tons of content, tons of fun, and truly free to play. Noone really cares whether or not you're stuck in 1990 and refuse to play online games - the only person you're shortchanging is yourself if you're at all a fan of the original Diablo.
Ah yes the same same PR speak developers use when gamer's express my preference.

Its the same with the latest WarHammer ARPG game from NeoCore.
In 1999, I craved offline only gaming because I did not want to ring my parents' phone bill so far up, and internet was unreliable back then. Nowadays, not so much. Following other titles, it became clear that online only is the way to go. We will do our absolute best to keep the gaming experience fluid and intact throughout the lifespan of the game.
Pff whatever they wont get any of my money. I'll just go play my latest crowdfunded RPG, or indie RPG game that doesn't require an internet connection & server just to play.

I can't remember the last time I disconnected from the internet. 2006? I'm only offline if there's a power outage. I'm still with those who don't want the limitation though. Just because I can afford to be connected 24/7 doesn't mean everyone can.

On topic, I guess time will tell. I got bored with PoExile quicker than Diablo 3. It is probably the best theory-crafting game to ever exist though. The skill tree is ridiculous. For me, it just takes too long to gather the necessary crafting mats w/o farming endlessly.

I did purchase extra inventory slots as I felt that was a fair price to pay for an otherwise free game.

i would sell my underrated niche game to a billion $ company anytime!

how much money did they get?

Sorry any game that requires a server to play is not single-player. :cool:.

Didn't say it's single player. Its not a Massive Multiplayer Online game.
The massive part is missing. The rest is true, yes.

Path of Exile isn't that great of a game that I somehow keep coming back to, having spent an embarrassing amount of money and time on. So in that sense it's an MMO for sure! But I play it almost exclusively solo, even turning on the Solo-Find mode or whatever it's called.

I don't mean to knock it though, it's still probably the best at what it does out there. Diablo 3 just feels pointless somehow, whereas PoE at least does the job of providing a sense of movement forward during it's not so exciting moments. My only complaint is the sheer amount of grinding gets wearisome, but it's right in the company's name.

I'm going to hold my breath on this acquisition. Chinese take-overs haven't gone over well for some of the other games I've seen it happen. They definitely like their lootboxes. Hopefully joxer's right about them keeping back. PoE has been the BEST example of a runaway success without a shred of Pay-to-Win, no matter how you feel about the game otherwise.

I can't remember the last time I disconnected from the internet. 2006? I'm only offline if there's a power outage. I'm still with those who don't want the limitation though. Just because I can afford to be connected 24/7 doesn't mean everyone can.
Yes I can afford to be connected 24/7 that's not my problem though. My problem is developers making games that require servers to play, and still trying to call it single-player. Just like all the GaaS nonsense infecting games now, and in the future.

I'm the same way, I do not want my single player games to force me to do anything online, at any time. When games go that route, I avoid them and I also tend to be quite vocal about it. It offends me in ways that not many other things can so easily achieve.

Back
Top Bottom