Healing Items
Spell Point Potions
Quest XP Elixirs
Now through October 21st!

Weekly Coupon
Free Lasting Night Revels Key
Coupon Code MWUHAHAHA
Now through October 21st!

Yeah, but even Warlocks have been severely nerfed! Still, they are FAR more useful in epics than your typical Wiz or Sorc!! Barbarians for WIN!!!! :D

Wizards and sorcerers are great in epics. However, you need to have the gear and past lives to be able to pass the enemy spell resistance and saving throws.

Being a sorcerer nuker is probably the easiest way to contribute in epics since you always do damage. Not landing insta-kill spells is not fun and that's usually the fate of a wizard unless you're specced to land your spells.

Warlocks are easier to play ala the sorcerer since they always do decent damage regardless of past lives.

With the gear and past lives then wizards will outperform sorcerers and warlocks. So top players prefer being wizards at epic.

Peter, you missed the point. Wizards and Sorcerers are useless in epics UNLESS they have the right gear and past lives, etc, etc. A first, second, or even third lifer doesn't have either!! I certainly don't want to crawl through epics over and over and over again just to get that gear, or work through all those painful lives and ED's just so that eventually I can become totally powerful and useful in those same boring quests!!

Yes, the "unless" is the point, seemingly ( I just can't judge, having only 1st-lifers ).

Anyway, I've had 2 spontaneous internet disconnections within the last 2 days … I fear that another one might occur - so if I'm not responding anymore, and have "lost connection", you know , why …

One was caused by traing to play a ressource-intensitive game i hadn't played for 2 years … Trying to have a last look at it before uninstalling it resulted in my PC switching off the monitor and disconnect from the internet … I had this later as well, but I've restarted my router since then, so there's hope …

I have storms inbound, so if I'm late/suddenly drop, don't wait for me.

I'm also going to be working next Friday night; back on nights next week, and because a customer is slow, we're having to hoof it to make sure they get their job done.

Peter, you missed the point. Wizards and Sorcerers are useless in epics UNLESS they have the right gear and past lives, etc, etc. A first, second, or even third lifer doesn't have either!! I certainly don't want to crawl through epics over and over and over again just to get that gear, or work through all those painful lives and ED's just so that eventually I can become totally powerful and useful in those same boring quests!!

Yes, they could have. You can easily craft gear that will get you through epics. You have quest chains at level 21-23 that can give you nice gear leading you through epics.

I'm actually doing great in epics with my level 15 Sharn gear until my level 23 crafted gear takes over.

If you can do well at level 16-19 you can also do well at level 20-22 running quests in that level range.

It's mainly running high level epic quests on reaper that could be a challenge for under geared players. That is something we rarely do.

Sorcerers are never useless because they're usually damage based. You can't go wrong spamming meteor swarms. Just buy some fire power potions to boost your damage output. Those are easy to come by.

If you invest in maximize, empower and later intensify your delayed blast fireballs and meteor swarms do great damage even on epic. If you run in Draconic you get energy burst and dragon breath doing really high damage. You just need to team up with some people who can get the aggro you you can nuke the mobs.

Actually sorcerers do a lot more damage at high level epics than warlocks do. They did so much damage they had to be nerfed about a year ago.

Play tiefling to get a really good combo with vulnerabilities for fire sorcs. I'm playing a sorc at epics now and I don't struggle at all with the damage output. I'm running my level 15 Sharn gear.

Since we have kinda established a new mains-alts system, I'm thinking of doing a TRd with Senha, the level 21 ? 22 ? Sorceror.

In contrast to other characters - Alrih, for example - I never intended to go through the Epics with her.

The only other character I'm thinking of is Alrih, but I always wanted to try out and go through with her into the Epics as a trapper. However, her survivabbility wasn't that good in my recent tries, because she's geared towards being a trapper, but towards being a survivor.

My goal was, so to say, to go all quests - as many as possible - through with a competent trapper until the Epics, at least, because I kind of love disarming traps. It's a very satisfying feeling for me. :D

For that, however, I also have my Iconic Shadar-kai now ... although I'm not quite sure how she might fare in higher difficulty levels. (Vistani + Iconic Assassin Rogue). I have already found this play style to be very challenging, and demanding a very careful play.

So, what do you think ? Would it make sense to do a full TR with Senha ? Or rather with Alrih ?

I never did a full TR, only a partial one ages ago with Alrikadaram. Means : I don't even know how big the TR Cache is.

The TR cache is all the items that character had in their inventory and personal bank. Basically, the limit there is the limit of items you can store on that character. Nothing to worry about.

Are you going to use the TR as one of the mains, for a solo character? It takes a bit longer to reach each level as a TR; though it really isn't that hard once you can run through elite quests. Since the mains are only level 5, and we're mostly running alts right now, you should be able to catch up in that case.

Well, I'm kinds undecided right now. It's rather likely to use Senha for a TR, and I wanted to try out Horizon Walker + Ranger again … I've amassed so many arrows in recent times, because I just don't play a ranger with a bow (or crossbow) anymore. I might be wrong in this, but I have bad memories with kiting in my mind …

However, since I'm more story focused, I don't need fast levelling. There's already so much content around now that I still haven't played through everything - and some not for a few years. (Last Friday was the first time I played Carnoival in I think 2 ? years, actually.)

The XP penalty actually helps with pushing you into more varied content, but even with all the new stuff and on a third life character, you'll hit the wall before you run out of content at some levels. IIRC, when I did the 5k favor run, I ended up hitting 20 before finishing up level 16 content. And I skipped stuff at several points. That was what, 4-5 years ago?

There's a few spots in the mid-heroics that could use some more content, but for some reason the devs seem to be focused on low level stuff.

I honestly have never bothered with loot gen arrows or bolts since the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth. The summoned bolts/arrows work fine.

Thanks.

Yes, I agree, in the middle levels, there could be a little bit more variety.

Does anyone in the guild have a monk ? There are a few things which I do not understand. For example, the "finishing moves". I don't recall them being available for my character … - but maybe that was because when fighting, I'm more focused on the health bars than on my own character , or the ki bar …
I thought I understood the Wiki insofar that the main "finishing move" icon on the quick access bar changes and becomes an icon of an available finishing move … But which one ? And … do I have o put ALL available finishing moves from the feats list into the bar ?
I really don't understand this mechanic.

Finishing moves while powerful, can be tricky and complicated. You only need one finishing move icon, which will change to reflect whatever combination of moves you have used to be eligible for a finishing move. From memory you need 3 special moves in a row with nothing interrupting them (like picking something up) to earn a finishing move. Haven't run my monk in ages.

Finishing moves while powerful, can be tricky and complicated. You only need one finishing move icon, which will change to reflect whatever combination of moves you have used to be eligible for a finishing move. From memory you need 3 special moves in a row with nothing interrupting them (like picking something up) to earn a finishing move. Haven't run my monk in ages.
That's about right. Chain together 3 special "punches" in a row (earth, air, fire, water, light, dark) in the correct order and you'll activate the finishing move icon. Each finishing move has a recipe. So, for example, to get the "area of effect heal" finishing move, you have to throw 3 fists of light (also activated on the hot bar) in a row and then you'll be able to do that finisher. Another good one is the "caster's friend" with gives a 10% spell point cost reduction to your party for a while--that's water/light/water. Very popular when buffs are to be cast. You have to make sure you have enough ki banked up to support a total of 4 special attacks, the 3 punches and then the finishing move.

To follow on with what Dte and Corwin have given:

Earth = Strike of the Enduring I, II, III or IV, or Fists of Iron
Air = Storm Strike I, II, III or IV, or Knock on the Sky
Fire = Fires of Purity I, II, III or IV, or Eagle Claw Attack
Water = Flowing Water Strike I, II, III or IV, or Unbalancing Strike
Void = Void Strike
Light = Fists of Light or Shadows Cannot Exist Without Light
Dark = Fists of Darkness or Every Light Casts a Shadow

The Trembling Earth
Combination: Earth - Earth - Earth
10 Ki.
The attack has +2 critical multiplier, and the victim is unable to cast spells for 60 seconds.
Periodic Fortitude saves to negate.

The Gathering Storm
Combination: Air - Air - Air
10 Ki.
The target's ability to "land attacks" is reduced for 30 seconds. -3 on attack rolls.
Undead appear to be immune. Fortitude save negates.

The Raging Sea
Combination: Water - Water - Water
10 Ki.
The enemy's attacks are slowed for 30 seconds.
Fortitude save negates.

Breath of the Fire Dragon
Combination: Fire - Fire - Fire
10 Ki.
A cone of searing flame shoots forth, damaging targets in the area of the flames for 1d6 damage per Monk level.
A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + Monk Level + Wisdom Modifier) reduces the damage by half.
This movement, which mimics Burning Hands, is very useful when attempting to open damageable doors that require more Strength than the monk has at hand (even in Fire Stance).
Scales with 200% Melee Power

Path of Harmonious Balance Finishers

Healing Ki I
Combination: Light - Light - Light
10 Ki.
You heal all nearby allies for 1d4 plus 1d4 per monk level.
Does not harm undead foes.
Healing Ki is greatly augmented by Recovery enhancements of the player character, such as Monk Improved Recovery, is boosted by 1% per point in the Heal skill, and is magnified by any Devotion or Potency effect. Healing Ki affects any allied player, including NPCs.

Grasp the Earth Dragon
Combination: Earth - Light - Earth
10 Ki.
Nearby allies become immune to daze, stun, and sleep for 60 seconds.

Dance of Clouds
Combination: Air - Light - Air
10 Ki.
Nearby allies gain 20% concealment for 60 seconds.
While this blur-like ability is much shorter, it cannot be dispelled, as with other monk buffs. Unlike some spell buffs, a monk's buffs can blur NPCs.

Aligning the Heavens
Combination: Water - Light - Water
10 Ki.
Nearby allies gain a 25% reduction in spell point costs for 60 seconds.
This is a favorite move asked by experienced spell casters before buffing others at the start of a quest.

Walk of the Sun
Combination: Fire - Light - Fire
10 Ki.
Nearby allies gain a +2 untyped bonus to attack, saves, and skills for 60 seconds.
Remember that helpful monk buffs such as this can not be dispelled by enemy spell casters, including beholders.

Moment of Clarity
Combination: Void - Light - Void
Nearby allies gain a +5 bonus to attack and skills for a short time (15 seconds). Formerly this was open to any level 10 monk that put a point in the Void Strike line, but is now available only to monks that have taken the Henshin Mystic tree to tier 5.

Path of Inevitable Dominion Finishers

Touch of Despair
Combination: Dark - Dark - Dark
10 Ki.
You strike your opponent down with a terrible curse, halving all positive energy healing done to the target, reducing its fortification and increasing its negative energy vulnerability by 25%.
A successful Fortitude save negates this effect. (DC 10 + Monk Level + Wisdom mod) The target receives periodic saves to attempt to break free of this effect.

Pain Touch
Combination: Earth - Dark - Earth
10 Ki.
Target is nauseated for 60 seconds.
The effect in the hover-pop is understated. A target afflicted with Pain Touch moves at half speed, cannot attack, and cannot cast.

Falling Star Strike
Combination: Air - Dark - Air
10 Ki.
Target is blinded for 60 seconds.

Freezing the Lifeblood
Combination: Water - Dark - Water
10 Ki.
Target is paralyzed and helpless for 60 seconds.
Humanoid targets only. Periodic Fortitude save to negate.

Karmic Strike
Combination: Fire - Dark - Fire
10 Ki.
This attack is guaranteed to produce critical threat if it hits.
Using this finisher also costs the user 20 hit points, which cannot be reduced by effects such as Damage Resistance.

Curse of the Void
Combination: Void - Dark - Void
Your humanoid opponent is confused, and possibly charmed for a short time (up to 2 minutes).
A Will Save (DC 10 + Monk level + Wisdom bonus) negates this effect.
Each time the target takes damage there is a chance that they will break free of this effect.
The effect reads "humanoid", but will work on any target Charm Monster would.
As with Moment of Clarity, now only available to T5 Henshin Mystics.

Level 20 Finishing Move

Shining Star
Combination: Earth - Air - Fire
10 Ki.
You use the combined power of Earth, Wind, and Fire to set up harmonic vibrations within your enemy that force them to dance. A successful Will save negates this effect. (DC 10 + Monk Level + Wisdom mod + Stunning Bonuses)
The enemy will dance for one minute with no recurring saves.
This final finishing move mimics the effect of Otto's Resistable Dance on one target, but does not require a spell penetration check, and is not improved by Enchantment DC boosters.

To be honest, most people only use the triple light (healing ki, which I have ended up effectively solo-healing a Shroud before when the cleric got killed), and Aligning the Heavens (water-light-water) finishers, and the system can be a bit finicky about actually activating the finisher icon even when you hit the correct sequence of strikes. In a few quests, the Earth-Light-Earth move Grasp the Earth Dragon is VERY useful though, and Dance of Clouds can save a lot of incoming damage (Air-Light-Air).

Thank you very very much ... And ... uh ... this looks very complicated to me ..
Striking with 3 different strikes means that I'll have to activate the correspoonding buttons on my quich access bar, right ? Assumed I had put them there first.

Thank you very very much … And … uh … this looks very complicated to me ..
Striking with 3 different strikes means that I'll have to activate the correspoonding buttons on my quich access bar, right ? Assumed I had put them there first.
Yes, but like Az mentioned, most people in reality only use 1 or 2 finishing moves, meaning you really only need 2-3 buttons on your main hotbar (1-2 "punches" and the finishing move button)

It's really only 5-6 strikes, depending on if you go up to Tier 5 Henshin Mystic and get Void Strike. Four elemental strikes for the classical elements, and the Light/Dark strike. It takes a bit to get used to, but it's no different than any other new playstyle in the game.

The Coupon Code is: DDOQUESTS2021 (1/Account, available to redeem through December 31st, 2021)

The coupon code grants the following quest packs:

Against the Slave Lords
Attack on Stormreach
Delera’s Tomb
Devil Assault
Disciples of Rage
Dragonblood Prophecy
Eveningstar Challenge Pack
Harbinger of Madness
Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
Heart of Madness
Keep on the Borderlands
Peril of the Planar Eyes
Phiarlan Carnival
Reign of Madness
Secrets of the Artificers
Sentinels of Stormreach
Shadow Under Thunderholme
Shan-to-Kor
Sorrowdusk Isle
Tangleroot Gorge
The Catacombs
The Demon Sands
The Devil’s Gambit
The Devils of Shavarath
The Dreaming Dark
The Druid’s Deep
The High Road of Shadow
The Lost Gatekeepers
The Mines of Tethyamar
The Necropolis, Part 1
The Necropolis, Part 2
The Necropolis, Part 3
The Necropolis, Part 4
The Path of Inspiration
The Reaver’s Reach
The Red Fens
The Restless Isles
The Ruins of Gianthold
The Ruins of Threnal
The Sharn Syndicate
The Soul Splitter
The Temple of Elemental Evil
The Vale of Twilight
The Vault of Night
Three-Barrel Cove
Trials of the Archons
Vaults of the Artificers
White Plume Mountain & Other Tales
Additionally, enjoy a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the DDO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points through December 31st, 2021:
Menace of the Underdark
The Shadowfell Conspiracy
Mists of Ravenloft

Back
Top Bottom