Thronebreaker - GOG Exclusive

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@GameWatcher Thronebreaker will be GOG exclusive. Additionally IGN went hands-on with Thronebreaker.

Up until now, we've kind of expected for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales to follow the usual CD Projekt RED release schedule, where the game would simultaneously come out on every major video game marketplace, or that perhaps they'd stagger the game's release on other services a bit.

This has now been proven wrong, however, with the launch of Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales' pre-order website, which very obviously points out that the game will be an exclusive GoG release.
[...]

We take an early look at Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales with its lead writer.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

GoG-exclusive? OK. Guess they want to try to capitalize on the popularity of the Witcher series. Could work...

I will have to get it anyway.

Nice, fuck steam.
This looks awesome from what ive seen so far; havent played gwent since last year's summer and it evolved spectacular.

I'm against any exclusivity in games. I don't think this bodes well for GOG in my opinion. It's just the same as EA does with games and it makes me rethink my support of them.

Drm free does not excuse it.

If it were a delayed launch that would be fine but making it exclusive is a dick move.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'm against any exclusivity in games. I don't think this bodes well for GOG in my opinion. It's just the same as EA does with games and it makes me rethink my support of them.

Drm free does not excuse it.

If it were a delayed launch that would be fine but making it exclusive is a dick move.
Maybe but I've seem plenty of other developers never release their games on GOG either just Steam. So it's nothing to get worked up over, but I get what your saying.

As for this game I never liked playing Gwent in Witcher III, but I want to play this game.

I think another way to look at it is that, if you have your own distribution platform and it's popular enough that you have confidence in it, why would you pay Steam a 30% cut?

I 'm taking my games only from GOG because the have no DRM.

NEVER STEAM.

And this seems a very good little gem.

I'm not sure i will like this -will wait for reviews. I'm ok with gog exclusive because you can download the binary and don't have to worry if they go belly up or shutdown. You can't say that bout ea, ubi, steam or quite a few others ..... now if htey all allow you to download the game without worry about the platform ceasing it would be a different story.

Maybe but I've seem plenty of other developers never release their games on GOG either just Steam. So it's nothing to get worked up over, but I get what your saying.

As for this game I never liked playing Gwent in Witcher III, but I want to play this game.
I think that's different as in this case it is the publisher making an exclusivity decision.

If you are a developer it is usually that you do not think gog would be your place to get more buyers.

I think, though, that "exclusivity" in this case just means they're not putting it on Steam. And if they don't feel they need the exposure that Steam provides, I don't see why they'd hand them a big chunk of their revenue.

I just hope they don't make it require Galaxy. Aside from no DRM, the fact that you don't need to have a client running is the main draw of GOG for me. But Gwent requires it and I fear this will too. Shame.

I couldn't care less about the distribution method (I do care a lot about the price, though).

The game looks very interesting, reminiscent of one of my favorite games ever for its day Shandalar which was a 1990s game (sort of RPG) in which the CCG Magic the Gathering MtG was used as the battle system. I enjoy MtG a whole lot and I'm a bit less than so-so about Gwent, so I don't know if I will enjoy this, but I very much like the idea of an RPG of this style.

Despite being a huge fan of The Witcher series, I'll probably skip this.

The platform is irrelevant. I'm just not a big fan of card-based games. I enjoyed Gwent as a side activity in TW3, but playing a game that revolves around it doesn't appeal to me much.

Good for great old games!!! I have enough games to satisfy me for now, but I'll be watching reviews and keeping this one in the back of my mind for when I have a lull in the current heavy game cycle.

Um… CD Projekt owns both…
Yes I know. The point is that if a developer wants to release something on a certain platform to maximise their audience that is one thing. When the publisher does it to restrict the ability of people to choose their purchasing method it is another entirely.

In this case it is simply CD projekt making steam users having to purchase on gog.
It is obviously to inventivise their relatively large audience who purchased previous games on steam to start using gog.

Yes I know. The point is that if a developer wants to release something on a certain platform to maximise their audience that is one thing. When the publisher does it to restrict the ability of people to choose their purchasing method it is another entirely.

But, if they're doing it because they've looked at the figures, and concluded that paying 30% to Steam is very bad value compared to distributing it themselves, don't you think that would be fair enough?

You have to bear in mind that choosing Steam is not a neutral choice. What they charge is way beyond what would be a reasonable price for outsourcing the distribution infrastructure - it's a very high tariff they can charge because they are the gatekeeper of the dominant market.

Can't wait to see Cyberpunk 2077 only released on GOG/Galaxy.:lol:

Just imagine all the replies about how someone wont be buying it. As I said above this is nothing new and goes on all the time with console exclusives. It's the same practice.

Like Ripper said why pay someone 30% of a sale when you have your own service to use for free. Gamer's will buy a game regardless of platform if they to play it badly.

Back
Top Bottom