Most memorable NPC dialogue

My favorite recent NPC dialogue was from a guy named Maverick who could be found in King Henselt's camp in Chapter 2 of The Witcher 2.

I posted this awhile back in the Witcher 2 forum, but I think it's worth re-posting here.

"A human is one thing, but a specter is something else."

"There's no other way to put this… I shit myself… out of fear. Pants right full by the time I got back to camp."

"Now they mock me.. call me The Crapper."

It's interesting to note that everything (or almost, not sure on a few) that has been mentioned was voice acted dialog.

- The whole insult dialogues in Monkey Island 1.
You fight like a dairy farmer.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

- Also, Cortez in Dreamfall -- see my signature. ;)

- Ravel from PS:T was memorable too, of course.

- Some snake lady in Neverwinter Nights (forgot her name), I loved they way she talked.

It's interesting to note that everything (or almost, not sure on a few) that has been mentioned was voice acted dialog.
Hmmm ... a bit of game dialog that impressed me for some reason was the chat with Imago Storm in Battlespire. As I played this game during a time when I had no sound card (I played in MP shooter tourneys without sound as well back then), all in-game dialog was subtitles (text) only, yet I still found it interesting. I wonder if there was voice acting at all in Battlespire (never played it with sound), and if so, if it was at least decent ...

Grovel from NWN-HotU, hands down. Simple, pointless drivel, and yet so fun.

Perhaps not long-time memorable, but I find the goblin dialogues in ... that MMO game quite funny.

Hmmm … a bit of game dialog that impressed me for some reason was the chat with Imago Storm in Battlespire. As I played this game during a time when I had no sound card (I played in MP shooter tourneys without sound as well back then), all in-game dialog was subtitles (text) only, yet I still found it interesting. I wonder if there was voice acting at all in Battlespire (never played it with sound), and if so, if it was at least decent …

It had voice acting for some of the lines. It wasn't awful :)

- The whole insult dialogues in Monkey Island 1.

You fight like a dairy farmer.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Haha, yeah monkey island had really good dialogue! especially those fighting ones....

Conversations with Heck in Alpha Protocol were always entertaining, including the non-voiced emails:)

Most recently was just about anything in Dragon Age. I also remember one in Titan Quest.

One of the merchants as you closed the buy/sell window would say:

"Travel Far…!

(away from here)

Yay! This is my favorite line in any game. I just cracked up out loud, when I heard it. My wife was trying to get me committed :D

"Fool! Now we'll need another mule!" Says Montaron upon the death of a party member in the Original Baldurs Gate.

IWD Female Character: "Hold still while I smite thee!"

that always cracks me up

Nathaniel and Anders in Awakening: "You don't always wear robes, do you?" - "Not when I'm naked." Or Anders and Ohgren about who's worse. Or Anders and Velanna about whose fireball is bigger. Or Anders to nobody in special: "Hold me, I'm scared!"

Well, pretty much all of Anders' Awakening dialog is memorable.

David Warner's performance in BG2 is so overrated. His dialogue is fine, it's the acting - he just seems bored. Compare him in BG2 to Kain in the first game (Blood Omen) and there is absolutely no contest!

SImon Templeman absolutely rock :) I'm talking about both performance and the wonderful dialogue in that game. I mean, come on - instead of a boring screen with text showing you what a spell does, you get his narration:

Of all the methods I employ, this is perhaps the cruelest, causing my victim's body to shrink on itself, crushing bones and rupturing organs 'til the pressure inside burst the sac of fleshy skin, spraying its contents for all to see.

And from the beginning of the game:

Vae Victus -- suffering to the conquered. Ironic that now I was the one suffering. Not anything as pedestrian as physical pain. Rather the cruel jab of impotent anger -- the hunger for revenge. I didn't care if I was in Heaven or Hell -- all I wanted was to kill my assassins. Sometimes you get what you wish for. The Necromancer Mortanius offered me a chance for vengeance. And like a fool, I jumped at his offer without considering the cost. Nothing is free, not even revenge.

As for NPC dialogue (never mind the voice acting if any): I love BG2. It's not the greatest writing, just that replaying it again recently it's amazing how much humor there is in that game. And it's not overly verbose or colorful, just straight to the point. And a lot of the funnier lines are from the non-important NPCs you run into which is awesom.

just straight to the point.

JanL.jpg

I see this guy hasn´t made into your party :).

I liked pretty much all the dialog with HK-47 from Knights of the Old Republic. I liked all the "meatbag" stuff :)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic

HK-47: Analysis: There is a 98% chance this meatbag is requesting our help in rescuing its friends master.
Revan: And the other two percent?
HK-47: Answer: That it is wasting our time and needs to be blasted. That might be wishful thinking on my part.

Glados from Portal speaks probably the best dialogue of any game I've seen. Consistently witty and funny. And some of the 90's Lucasarts point & click adventure games also had really good dialogue.

As for RPG's, dialogue in Mass Effect was really well done. Felt like real people talking, which is rare in the genre.

Glados from Portal speaks probably the best dialogue of any game I've seen
GLaDOS has one the best parting comments in recent computer game history in Portal 2 (nevermind it not being an RPG): "It's been fun. Don't come back." Splendid stuff!

The first thing to come to mind of recent CRPGs, is Dr Mordin's Gilbert and Sullivan song in ME2 (nevermind what I otherwise think of ME2 or what I think of it as a CRPG), it really took me by surprise and had me laughing out loud: teh linky to the song. Thumbs up for that Bioware.

But none of this, or anything mentioned before on this thread, has nothing on this marvel of NPC dialogue. It is the epitome and ultimate excellence of NPC dialogue, the mother (and father) of all NPC dialogues: Feel the Epicness. :thumbsup:

A "Devourer Disciple" in DDO, uttering to me : "Why don't you die ?"
(Meanwhile I was fighting not only him, but also several various Zombies ...)

Back
Top Bottom