Wiz8 debate

@mike- BWA HA HA! Cue Queen! Sing it with me, everyone! bum, bum, bump...Another one bites the dust...

Hehe ... :) I never finished before, and have been meaning to start again ... but all this talk is just making it too hard to wait.

Of course, Missile Shield, I forgot about that one.

Are everyone's progress reports too much foreshadowing for your liking, or are you aiming at more blatant "how to" spoilers?

Certainly not the reports themselves, but only the specifics for quests, hidden things, etc.
If it's too much trouble, dont worry, I can go around with one hand before my eyes and just peak between my fingers.

I think we can all try to keep our updates "suitably vague", right folks? Under no circumstances will we tell how to get into the sunken ship in Arnika! [size=-4](Cuz you can't)[/size]

On a side note, I just noticed that I might have to cut you off the help list--still haven't forgiven the Habs for signing Dandenault away from us last year. You're guilty by association...

Last edited:
I think we can all try to keep our updates "suitably vague", right folks? Under no circumstances will we tell how to get into the sunken ship in Arnika! [size=-4](Cuz you can't)[/size]

I SAID NO SPOILERZ PLEAZE !!!

On a side note, I just noticed that I might have to cut you off the help list--still haven't forgiven the Habs for signing Dandenault away from us last year. You're guilty by association...

Do the Red Wings really miss him ? I find him adequate, no more. But maybe I'm too harsh, good defencemen are hard to come buy. The Habs have good D this year -- except for Rivet, cant stand that blunderer and I hope they dont resign him --, especially with Bouillon back, they have 8 guys who can play in the big league. 5-2 yesterday against Buffalo.

I always liked Dandy. On a team of guys that often coasted on talent, Dandy held his own by working hard and doing whatever the team asked. A hard worker with speed would have been helpful last year against the Oil. When Grandpa Chelios and One Leg Stevie are your hardest workers in a playoff series, bad things happen.

That wasn't a spoiler, BTW. You'll see when you get to town. There was a rumor back in the day that it (and the adjacent lighthouse) was part of an unfinished quest, but it's clearly just eye candy now. Don't worry--I'll be careful about genuine spoilage.

I'm still pissed about the Wings letting Brendan Shanahan get away. Cheap bastards! What were they thinking?? He has 40 points(23 goals) through 35 games already with the New York Rangers.

Ton of unfinished quest in Wiz 8. Still a fantastic game though. What do you think are the chances for a Wizardry 9?

Same as for the wings winning the cup, NIL!! :biggrin: GO LEAFS!!!!

Reached Arnika. The road to the city wasnt so bad. I suppose everyone who played the game know who Hogar (not sure of the correct spelling) is; well when I saw him I decided my band could take him and off I went after him. It was over before the first round ended: my boy Mitsurugi landed a hit for 1 HP damage, but it was an instant kill.
In comparison to the opposition I found on the road, the two encounters I had in Arnika were laughably easy.

-Generally, switiching classes doesn't pan out well. There's a couple powergaming techniques that rely on class switches, but that's intended for specific purposes. Of course with a grubby one-eyed RPC, who really cares... ;).

Yes--Vi is a sad spectacle as a level 13/levl 1 ninja --I imagine dual classing should be done much earlier--but she's going to be hanging out in the bar in Arnika for the rest of the game anyway. Maybe she can snort down a few with passing assasins and talk the ninja talk. ;)

DSL box showed up yesterday. Don't think Mrs dte will let me get away with skipping all the other boxes to unload my mistress (as the Mrs refers to the PC)...

My husband refers to my rig as The Beast.

@Cormac
Sorry if I exceeded the bounds of spoilerishness. How is your lord coming along?I'm curious if he's delivering as well as your bishop, since I dumped mine in favor of the Bard. My only party problem is that I kill more with spells than melee, so I have to remember to walk in and give my fighter a chance.
About Hogar--he's not a one but a many, as in hogars, so you can look forward to meeting his kind again. I find they freeze well.

The odd thing about my Lord (not The Son of God) is that he was doing much more damage with his offhand weapon than with his main (he's dualwielding). I had given him a cutlass to replace his rapier and a poignard instead of his main gauche; I'm guessing that he's simply better with thrusting weapons than with slicers ? So I went back with the rapier. I'll shop around in Arnika for better weapons, though. Overall, considering my lack of experience, I think he's doing allright.

The game doesn't differentiate between cutting and slashing weapons. It's possible your dagger stat is higher than your sword stat. For that matter, a poignard might have a higher average damage than a cutlass anyway. Otherwise, it's randomness at its best.

@magerette-exactly correct on the class switch- generally, you start in one class to get access to certain skills, train those skills up as high as your patience can stand, and then switch over to the "real" class at level 2.

@JDR13- I miss the Irish Jig, but somehow we needed to get the youth movement going. I would have picked a couple other guys to sacrifice before Shanny, but so it goes. Keep in mind that he's playing in the Eastern Conf on a team lacking scoring threats outside of Jagr, so his stats are going to be a little inflated. As for Wiz9, the odds are somewhere between zero and nil. Well, let me clarify that a bit--the Wiz8 team will not do Wiz9. That's not to say some publisher won't whore out the franchise someday, but I wouldn't expect the magic to survive.

@corwin- and the last time the Cup was touched by someone in a Laffs sweater (other than the occasional misguided Hall of Fame employee) would be??? :p

Last edited:
The odd thing about my Lord (not The Son of God) ....

Yes, when that Lord starts dual-wielding, we're all in trouble. I agree it seems odd in any rpg for an offhand weapon to do more damage--in Vi's extremely brief ninja career, she was doing damage of 1 or even 0 with a fairly high quality dagger.

My present problem seems to be placement in the goofy divided circle which supposedly indicates your party formation. If I have a full party of eight it works fairly logically, but now that I've dropped the RPCs, I can't seem to find the best spot for my ranger--he always seems unable to use his bow, even when I place him to the rear. The side positions also seem not to work right--you can have your party on top of an opponent and one or another of them is still shooting a sling. If anyone has a magic bullet on this one I'd love to know.

I would place the ranger in the exact middle. But if mere words are not enough to sway you, may the undoubted eloquence of the following schematic do so:

F row:----------L---F---S------

M row:-------------R-----------

B row:-----------B---M---------

The letters, naturaly, stand for the character classes (L = Lord, R = Ranger, etc.). I put dashes in there because they look so cool. That's my usual setup except that I have a ninja in lieu of a ranger.

I'd like to see the others' setups too.

@dte: no, that poignard's stats arent better than the cutlass'; it's no big deal, I suppose, but I found it curious because it would continuously hit better than the cutlass, that's why I assumed slash and thrust were taken into account by the game -- especially as the Lord starts with thrusting weapons.

As for the Leafs winning the cup. . . come on, folks, let's be serious here.

I'll try a modified version, Cormac. being as how I have 3 backyard players, the ranger, and two fighters--maybe like this:

-------------V---------F---------

------------------R---------------

-------------B---M---B---------

Sometimes I think I am getting way too into this game.

@corwin- and the last time the Cup was touched by someone in a Laffs sweater (other than the occasional misguided Hall of Fame employee) would be??? :p

Actually, I have a picture of ME with the cup taken last year in the HHof F !! :)

I'm still in the lower monastery. Granted, I don't play all that much. I also have no clue what the hell I'm doing most of the time. :) I should probably read up on a lot of stuff. I give points to what seem to me the most obvious places, like strength and vitality for fighters, intelligence and piety for casters, etc. and focus on divinity and one or two realms (fire for mage, water for priest).

Also, one of my party members died. Usually I reload when that happens in a game, but that's not very nice, is it? Can you resurrect party members and is it actually a bad idea to just go on fighting? (does the dead party member lag behind in experience, for example?)

It depends how long you go on without them. I always tried to resurrect deceased party memebers as soon as possible because I like all my original party members to be close to each other as far as experience goes. I don't remember where you find resurrection powder for the first time, but I bet dteowner could tell you.

By accident, I read that you can find resurrection powder somewhere from the monastery at the waterfall, or something. I suppose I should go get that. I still have no idea what I'm doing, though. ;) I'll post my party setup and formation when I get my hands on it, so you can comment.

There are two "set" sources of ressy powder in the lower monestary, one of which has been mentioned.

If I can get away with it, I often try to ressurect deaders before combat is over, that way they share in the XP. It doesn' t really matter as you will never be able to keep your entire party at the exact same XP level, but I try my best.

Gotta run for now, but will toss out some formation thoughts later.

I'm not sure why magerette's ranger was having trouble shooting--that shouldn't have been an issue unless he was out of ammo or stuck on his melee weapon. I almost always keep my ranger in the back. Usually, I go with a 2-3-1 approach (2 tanks in front, 2 casters and L&T middle, ranger in back). I like having a non-caster in the back. Sooner or later, you're going to get attacked from behind. Having the ranger back there allows you to take the beating in the first round and then turn the party around without getting a caster killed. You need to equip your middle row folks with extended range weapons if you want them to be able to melee.

My current crew is doing a 3/3/0 arrangement because I'm melee-heavy and my ranger is a mook (we'll leave it at that to stay away from spoilers).

A neat arrangement I've seen for melee-heavy and upper-level parties is 0/1-3-1/1 (1 left, 3 middle, 1 right, 1 back). Allows 5 melee attackers regardless of weapon range. In fact, one person I knew did a "magic sux" party of 6 lizzy fighters and used a 0/2-2-2/0 formation to deal some serious whoopa$$.

Back
Top Bottom