Oxymoronic Game Moments-Had Any?

magerette

Hedgewitch
Life-and gaming-is full of little ironies and inconsistencies that can be either frustrating or amusing depending on your POV. Right now I am having a little problem with a well known game convention--the health potion. I can only regard the following situation(a composite of several games) as oxymoronic:

Playing along last night, I was killing Undead(oxymoron#1) while cleaning out the sewers(oxymoron#2) when (o.m.#3)a "slain' skeleton dropped a health potion.

My immersion level immediately dropped to -5. :p

I can understand an animated skeleton with a strong lust for living blood perhaps having in his possession a rusty sword, some tattered rags, a tarnished gold piece or two, or a bit of formaldehyde-drenched flesh clinging here and there, but what was he planning on doing with a health potion? I mean, isn't it a little late for that? And if he did drink it, wouldn't it simply pour out through his ribs a la Pirates of the Caribbean?

Also, when did it become impossible to finish a combat without one or more of your characters guzzling red potions like a wino sucking up Mad Dog 20/20? With that amount of liquid sloshing around in your insides, I doubt you could even breathe, let alone fight.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Anybody else have any sterling moments of game silliness?

Maybe the skeleton got it from a previous adventurer he killed and wanted to keep it as trophy? Maybe the skeleton HAS a wierd sense of irony, hm? ;)

That was one of my favorite things about the new Bard's Tale - the early part when the irony of having a broadsword left behind when killing a wolf or something ... hilarious stuff!

Loot drops have often been silly. I think it was Wizards and Warriors where I killed a rat and received leather armor.

It's very fashionable in rat circles these days. They wouldn't be caught dead in anything else.

Yep, gold, weapons and armour from animals is ridiculous!!

Maybe the skeleton got it from a previous adventurer he killed and wanted to keep it as trophy? Maybe the skeleton HAS a wierd sense of irony, hm? ;)

That's an excellent explanation. I feel much better about it all now. ;)

@dte-re: Wizards & Warriors-
well, I guess if you can accept a race of intellectual elephants, a mere armoured rat is nothing to balk at. :)

Don't get me started about the Diablo flies. They left human-sized plate mail behind. :biggrin: Had it been fly-sized stuff, well okay, but...

I always thought the way the original U5 did it was best. After you killed something, it might have been guarding a chest which contained the loot. You had to open the chest (often with traps) to get anything after defeating the monster!!

Also, when did it become impossible to finish a combat without one or more of your characters guzzling red potions like a wino sucking up Mad Dog 20/20? With that amount of liquid sloshing around in your insides, I doubt you could even breathe, let alone fight.

Olnigg recently wrote about an MMORPG (I think it was about Archlord ), where he wrote that battle mainly consists of kind of a "drinking contest" with the question "who is able to swallow more health potions, me or the enemy ?"
We call drinking contests in German language "Wett-Trinken", which captures the image Olnigg created a bit better. ;)

Don't get me started about the Diablo flies. They left human-sized plate mail behind. :biggrin: Had it been fly-sized stuff, well okay, but...

Yes, you can't start questioning things like that in Diablo or it will make you give up. My big issue there is how can all those monsters have such a death wish? At your feet lies a pile of their slain compatriots the size of North Dakota, yet they keep coming in a suicidal jihad. And where the heck is everybody else on the planet--oh, forgot--turned to zombies which must be killed so they can drop a few health potions.

@Alrik--well I guess drinking does increase some people's belligerance level. And it helps you not notice that wolves are dropping forks and broadswords, as well.;0

@Sorcha-hilarious link. At first i thought the young man's child had written the note--Daddy come home from the computer room! That would really guilt you out!

Back then I half-expected the lightning guards in RotT to drop wallets with pictures of their family. I mean, come on, if seriously wounded, these guys fell to their knees and begged for their lives...
beg1.gif

Another thing done wright in the gothic series. The only thing you will get from an animal are animal suff: meat claws etc.
Maybe the skeleton or zombie still had the life potion from when he was alive

omg hilarious comments

true tho, so true!

The only logic I can come up with, is that purrhaps it was leftovers in their digestive tract from the last adventurers they ate. Ever try and pass a spiked plate helmet?

That would help answer magerette's aggressiveness issue. Between the dislocated jaws and the severe constipation, they're bound to be a little cranky.

Good point Dte, good point!! In our NWN campaigns, we use CM for a similar purpose!! :biggrin:

It usually bothers me when I'm saving the world from the darkest of evils and people still treat me like a regular customer. Those jerks should be offering to fix my armor for free! Also, why is it that most games have a fairly low amount of people in cities yet, there can be countless monsters?

Yeah, Ive always had a problem with people's treatment of me in games. I mean, all the way from the top, you know. Hook me up with some coin there, King Midas.

In RPGs, youre given charge of this huge undertaking to save the world. Not only do you get no breaks from the people offering services, etc, you dont even get set up by the totally rich king, lord, or whomever it is sending you on the quest!

Here I am, sent out by some bigshot as the last hope. Youd think he'd purrhaps hook me up with a decent set of armor and a sword or something, right? No, here I am, spending my time rummaging thru back alley barrels for a few coins and whatever junk I can sell so I can maybe get a few scraps of armor and a rusty dagger! There's gratitude for ya!

Back
Top Bottom