Project Eternity - Update #23, $3.15M

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Project Eternity has kicked up a new update as they push towards the end. As I write, Project Eternity is at $3.15M on Kickstarter plus another $75k+ on Paypal (40 hours left). Other than a wrap-up of events, the big announcement is a Double Fine-style documentary:
The big news for the day is that we are adding a documentary covering the development of Project Eternity.
After getting a lot of requests to do a documentary, like the Double Fine Adventure, we started looking into it a couple of weeks ago. We talked about it more last week and decided that we don’t have a visual history of one of our games, even after almost ten years as a company. We felt it was something we should just do and do it without it being a new stretch goal.
So, we are happy to announce that we are going to include a stream, download, or physical copy of the documentary in all of our Kickstarter reward tiers. At the $20/$25 level you will be able to stream it, at the $35 level you will be able to download it, and at the $140 level (and physical tiers above) we will include a DVD / Blu-ray.
More information.

Wow, it does look like they have a genuine chance at hitting 3.5 million. Fingers crossed, a second big city would be great news indeed.

Last edited:
Wow, it does look like they have a genuine chance at hitting 3.5 million. Fingers crossed, a second big city would be great news indeed.

No No! I hate big cities! I hope they end at $3,499,499

Well I don't. Go play dungeon crawl games they seem more to your taste.:p

You could always ignore it.

But it's looking roughly 50:50 if they'll make it - if they finish the same as WL2 they won't. If they finish the same as DFA they will.

Now that the kickstarter is almost over and we see all the additional content and features they are adding.

Is there anyone who thinks they will actually hit their release window?

I'm crossing my fingers but I'd be surprised if they do and with the game in an acceptable state.

"Now that the kickstarter is almost over and we see all the additional content and features they are adding.

Is there anyone who thinks they will actually hit their release window?"

I do think it's a bit over ambitious for their release window. However, I'd like to point out that Obsidian is a real company. They're probably the biggest company to launch a video game project at Kickstarter. To the extent that they receive more Kickstarter funds, I have no doubt that they are able to efficiently make use of these new resources. It's not like with some of these smaller teams, where you're really wondering how the new money will translate into new areas and features. With Obsidian, it's pretty straight forward.

Still, even with that said, I do think it'll take longer than they initially stated.

Edit: Let me just give a sense of what I mean here. When a start-up promises a new area or character or something comparable, that means one of three things: 1. One of the main staff members will have more to do, almost certainly increasing development time. 2. A new staff member, which tends to be difficult for a start-up to painlessly and efficiently hire, integrate into the team, and set free to create new content. 3. Find some way to outsource, which, again, will probably be difficult and costly for a new start-up.

When Obsidian makes the same promise, it could mean any of the above. But, more likely, it means this: 4. More of Obsidian's staff will be directed to PE. This could mean their art/music/presentation department. It could mean design. Or it could mean both.

Alternatively, I'm sure it'd be much easier for Obsidian to engage in outsourcing or to hire new staff than start-ups as well. They know the industry, have contacts, and know what they're looking for. Pretty much across the board, Obsidian is much better equipped to make big promises than other Kickstarter companies.

Now that the kickstarter is almost over and we see all the additional content and features they are adding.

Is there anyone who thinks they will actually hit their release window?

I'm crossing my fingers but I'd be surprised if they do and with the game in an acceptable state.

If the game does slip its release though it wont bother me. Not every game needs three years of development. At least the unity engine comes pre-built all they have to do is create the content. Just to be safe I'll cross my fingers also.:)

Yep, that release window can be tossed. My guess is Xmas '14. Hope to be proven wrong....on the early side.

Yep, that release window can be tossed. My guess is Xmas '14. Hope to be proven wrong….on the early side.

Later is fine by me, means a more polished game and I have plenty in my pipe line. I'd rather them take their time and make a great game, than try to rush it out.

Well, they're at $3.2M on kickstarter with 34 hours to go. If the above post saying they had $200k in paypal is correct, they are likely going to make it to $3.5M I think. Sweet!

This is why I'm waiting until the game is done, then they can have my money.

Well, they're at $3.2M on kickstarter with 34 hours to go. If the above post saying they had $200k in paypal is correct, they are likely going to make it to $3.5M I think. Sweet!

Where did you read the figure 200k? Last update I saw they had 86k or some such thing. Their total is nearing 3,3 million as far as I know, still quite a long way to go.

I thought I read it in one of these threads, but I might be mistaken (there are so many threads now with these updates). Even at $100k, that still puts them needing $200k and they still have a day. As someone else said, donations really accelerate that last day.

I think we don't have to worry too much about them rushing the game to meet a deadline though. The won't have some publisher breathing down their neck since they seem to have completely funded it with donations.

I think we don't have to worry too much about them rushing the game to meet a deadline though. The won't have some publisher breathing down their neck since they seem to have completely funded it with donations.

Aye, I'd rather have a polished product and them taking the time they need. The public perception is that they release buggy games, so they need some polished releases to change that. This and the South Park game will be of immense importance for the future of the company I think.

Paypal is at $92k now for people wondering.

Back
Top Bottom