Journey - looks like an unbelievable game / concept

Their loss.
I'm not buying consoles even if my life depended on it and in this case that means -1 to game sales.
At least until someone makes an emulator or something… But who knows if we'll remember this game or care for it when it happens. ;)

I'll always be a PC first guy, but the PS3 is pretty damn cool for a gaming console. There are enough exclusive games (unlike Xbox) to make it worthwhile imo, plus Blu-ray and backwards compatibility with previous Playstation games make is easily worth the price.

Their loss.
I'm not buying consoles even if my life depended on it and in this case that means -1 to game sales.
At least until someone makes an emulator or something… But who knows if we'll remember this game or care for it when it happens. ;)

I know what you mean, these console exclusive games, no one will ever be able to play them at 1080p resolution. Instead they are all relegated to 1280x720 or lower, with low res textures, low quality lighting, etc.

It's a shame for the exclusives that look interesting, like Journey, Red Dead Redemption or the upcoming The Last of Us. I wonder how the designers feel knowing they can never play their own game at native res on their HDTV.

I'll always be a PC first guy, but the PS3 is pretty damn cool for a gaming console. There are enough exclusive games (unlike Xbox) to make it worthwhile imo, plus Blu-ray and backwards compatibility with previous Playstation games make is easily worth the price.

Some of the exclusives look interesting, but I still haven't encountered anything remotely interesting enough to persuade me to buy a console. I already need a laptop for work and there are so many multiplatform games out there. Also, PC games seem to be much cheaper if you buy them during Steam sales. Most games I only pay around $5 or so.

Last edited:
The PS3 can do 1080p, but unfortunately the majority of titles do not use it. However, when you consider the cost difference between a PS3 and a gaming computer, I don't find the visual difference to be a deal breaker.

The PS3 can do 1080p, but unfortunately the majority of titles do not use it. However, when you consider the cost difference between a PS3 and a gaming computer, I don't find the visual difference to be a deal breaker.

I think it's around $300, right? If you buy a PS3 and 10 games (if console games sell for $60), then you are going to spend $900.

If you buy a mid range desktop or laptop with 1080p display and 10 games during a Steam sale, you will spend about the same, and you will have a very useful device that most people already need for school or work.

I think it's around $300, right? If you buy a PS3 and 10 games (if console games sell for $60), then you are going to spend $900.

If you buy a mid range desktop or laptop with 1080p display and 10 games during a Steam sale, you will spend about the same, and you will have a very useful device that most people already need for school or work.

That's pretty much a moot point since having a computer in your household is almost a given now. But if you want a "gaming" computer that's going to run games significantly better than a PS3, you're probably going to spend a lot more than $900.

That's pretty much a moot point since having a computer in your household is almost a given now. But if you want a "gaming" computer that's going to run games significantly better than a PS3, you're probably going to spend a lot more than $900.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "significantly better" than PS3, but in my view 1920x1080 resolution, 16xAF, high res textures, most settings maxed except AA is night and day better than console settings of 1280x720, 0xAF, etc., especially if you are playing on a good quality HDTV. And well under $900, at least here in the US.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "significantly better" than PS3, but in my view 1920x1080 resolution, 16xAF, high res textures, most settings maxed except AA is night and day better than console settings of 1280x720, 0xAF, etc., especially if you are playing on a good quality HDTV. And well under $900, at least here in the US.

Yeah..ok. ;)

I think you're missing the point, but I'm not going to drag this thread any further off course.

Back
Top Bottom