RPGWatch - The Memory of Eldurim Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
We had the chance to talk to Bryan Excell of Liminal Games about their RPG The Memory of Eldurim. The game is on Steam Early Access, and has just been updated.

RPGWatch: Thanks for agreeing to do the interview. Can you tell us a little about yourself, and your game The Memory of Eldurim?

We started working on The Memory of Eldurim over a year ago because we love games of this genre and thought we had some unique ideas that could contribute to the genre. Some genres are flooded with great games while others only have a few. We love open world RPGs and love making video games, so we felt like we were ready to give it a shot.

It has been a long road but we have loved it and are glad that our game started emerging into the public. It's still early alpha but so far the response has been positive.
More information.

Enjoy my second interview on the site everyone. I felt it wasn't as good as my first one though. Remember to help fund the development of the game it only costs you $19.99.

I have two more on the way one with Inner Void Interactive , and the other with Juggernaut Games. Hopefully they send back their answers this week.^^

I'm also looking for suggestions for future interviews, and what questions some of you might have with other developers. Send me a PM with the suggestions.

Also thank you Myrthos for Editing my text into articles.;)

Last edited:
The ideas about NPC interaction really sound good, quite ambitiuos.

I had backed their Kickstarter, but in fact I have a hard time supporting them now with early access, seeing the current state of the game and knowing nothing about their future funding. Does anyone has more informatiomn on this?

In an earlier thread they said the money from Early Access is their way of funding development. Here is part of the reply from the thread.
We have been severely limited by lack of funds (we are poor), but we are going to put the steam funds towards a new animator and we will be revamping all the character models and animations.
Maybe they should try another kickstarter, or alternative way to raise more funds.:thinking:

Thanks.

Currently another Kickstarter wouldn't make sense I think. They need much more stuff to show. And if they indeed did another crowdfunding campaign now, what message would that send to the guys who already bought it through early access?

The ideas about NPC interaction really sound good, quite ambitiuos.

I had backed their Kickstarter, but in fact I have a hard time supporting them now with early access, seeing the current state of the game and knowing nothing about their future funding. Does anyone has more informatiomn on this?

It sure does. It sounds great but saying you have these ideas and actually delivering on them are two different things. And without proper funding I doubt they'll be able to implement any of them.

I wasn't impressed enough with the pitch during the KS to back the game; Of course I'm not a big fan of Action RPGs, nor am sold on the whole "open world" RPG concept yet.. Yet to play one I like, unless you consider Baldur's Gate open world. And the combat looks very clunky, like playing Elder Scrolls in third person. As far as I can tell, all the game has going for it right now is beautiful graphics. Everything else is theoretical, if not hypothetical.

Right, that's what I meant with "current state of the game".

Looking at Kingdom Come: Deliverance (cryengine) and looking at Eldurim, I first thought a nice work has been done with the Unity engine. Then was surprised to learn its running on Unreal engine. Eldurim looks too simplistic for the Unreal engine and looks proper for Unity 3D. But if they say they can deliver, they sure show a lot of potential and youthful energy.

Looking at Kingdom Come: Deliverance (cryengine) and looking at Eldurim, I first thought a nice work has been done with the Unity engine. Then was surprised to learn its running on Unreal engine. Eldurim looks too simplistic for the Unreal engine and looks proper for Unity 3D. But if they say they can deliver, they sure show a lot of potential and youthful energy.

Eldrium is actually using the CryEngine.

It's not exactly fair to compare us to Kingdom Come: Deliverance, as they are a decently sized team of industry veterans, with a 1.5 million dollar budget (before KS).

We made what you see here with 3 people, and around 0.5% percent of that budget (mostly our own money).

Now that we are selling copies on steam and actually have some funds to work with (still orders of magnitude less than KC: D), the game will start getting better much more rapidly.

Back
Top Bottom