Ok Guys..lemme know what you think...

Malifax

Watchdog
Well, I finally started with the game programming. I have been an avid PC RPG fan since as far as I can remember, and I finally broke down and started learning to make my own game.

Heavily influenced by Bard's Tale, old Might and Magic and Wizardry games, I have started work on Elementium, and boy is this programming thing a daunting task. I have done all teh sound, art, etc for the game.

Character creation is done, and I made a video of creating a human wizard, it's up on youtube. If you guys have time, could you give it a view and give me some opinions? What should I change? Should I just give it up? Does it show any promise whatsoever? If interested check out this youtube link and bash away, LOL.

EDIT: Forgot the link..here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eS7J8Epv-c

Thanks all!

Last edited:
It would help if there was a link.

Bard's Tale, old Might and Magic and Wizardry games

I love these games - and if you can catch the spirit and mechanics of these games
-turn based combat with many options
-many stats, skills traits with an impact on the gameplay
-developing (over many levels) a party of characters with complementary skills to beat the game

you have my vote ;)

Congrats and good luck Malifax! I'm heading down the mod path for the first time, so I can empathize.

What you've put up looks like a good start. One question, are you doing everything by yourself? If so, I'd recommend seeing if anyone wants to help out. You don't need an army of people, but a few extra helpers might really help polish it up!

Yes, as of now everything is all by my lonesome :(

I would love to get some help, mainly in the art department. The coding is not as much of an obstacle as the art stuff, which is VERY time consuming. Thanks for the replies though guys. I am sure it will change a lot in the next couple of months, I will keep you updated.

I hope you can maintain your enthusiasm. :)

Your graphics skills are good enough for placeholders, I think. So no need to hurry. The more convincing the rest of the game the easier it will be to find support for the art.

Is this your first game? Maybe an RPG is a bit too complex? The usual suggestion in developer forums is to start with a Tetris clone. ;)

Good luck with your project, and I hope you won't be discouraged since it looks promising. As Gorath said, an RPG can be quite complex to design. Even a simplistic game like the one I made is still quite a task.

Looks good. Keep up the good work :)

Back
Top Bottom