A Plague Tale: Innocence - Released

Pros
Excellent story
Charming characters
Solid stealth gameplay mechanics

Woop woop !!

… and rats - @skavenhorde; will like this :)

Very good reception it appears. Will have to get that at some point in the future.

Having finished Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, I picked this one up. I'm in chapter VIII after a few hours of play and I'm enthralled. This game is a kind of Last of Us clone, only better than Last of Us in every aspect. Some of those aspects could be argued, such as whether the characters are better than Last of Us, the scenarios, the gameplay.. but above all, A Plague Tale: Innocence can be played at more than 30 FPS using controls optimised for mouse and keyboard, because it released on PC, which on top of everything else, makes it a greater game than Last of Us ever was or ever will.

If you liked the Last of Us gameplay, its narrative, its emotional, grim tale of brutal loss that always left you with a dim hope that was worth pursuing, A Plague Tale: Innocence is definitely a game for you, because again, in my opinion, it does all Last of Us did, but better.

Wow that "Mummy"" on picture, she's a beauty! Im in love!:blush:

Very true my friend. Thanks for thinking of me because you mentioned my name and in turn i was summoned back from the limbo that is being homeless. Seriously though thanks I didn't know about that til now

Having finished Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, I picked this one up. I'm in chapter VIII after a few hours of play and I'm enthralled. This game is a kind of Last of Us clone, only better than Last of Us in every aspect. Some of those aspects could be argued, such as whether the characters are better than Last of Us, the scenarios, the gameplay.. but above all, A Plague Tale: Innocence can be played at more than 30 FPS using controls optimised for mouse and keyboard, because it released on PC, which on top of everything else, makes it a greater game than Last of Us ever was or ever will.

Last of Us is 60 FPS on PS4.. i'd also argue that third person view games are way better with a controller.
Might pick this one up eventually.. depends on how the stealth is.

If you liked the Last of Us gameplay, its narrative, its emotional, grim tale of brutal loss that always left you with a dim hope that was worth pursuing, A Plague Tale: Innocence is definitely a game for you, because again, in my opinion, it does all Last of Us did, but better.
I've never heard about Last Of Us, so comparing Plague Tale with it doesn't tell me anything. :(

Thanks for pointing out that the game has proper controls on PC though.

The last of us was a fantastic game....only released on ps3/ps4....if this is anything like it I will have to check it out.

I've never heard about Last Of Us, so comparing Plague Tale with it doesn't tell me anything. :(

Thanks for pointing out that the game has proper controls on PC though.

I'll elaborate for your benefit, and those who don't know what this type of game is about.

It's a pretty unique mix of Adventure/Survival/Stealth game. The gameplay in most cases revolves around getting through areas patrolled by enemies using limited resources and mostly stealth, where taking armed action is a possibility, but most of the time far from optimal, and generally very punishing (enemies tend to be able to defeat you in a single hit/attack, you spend valuable resources and you get the general vibe that doing so is playing the game "wrong"). The game is pretty heavy in puzzle elements, most of which aren't really a challenge to human intelligence, more about being observant and a little ingenious.

The game is very heavy story-wise, there's almost no breaks in its narrative. You are constantly presented with events and choices that have an emotional impact because you are first person witness to a raw, brutal world in which fairy tales are as utopic as in the real world itself.

A Plague Tale: Innocence presents a unique post-apocalyptic setting - a medieval one, more accurately set in France, in a time where the English are invading and declaring war to the French territory. You are put in the shoes of a young French noble girl called Amicia who has to take her little brother to safety after life-wrecking events. The scenarios are very beautiful, they can be explored freely although it's not an open world, areas are quite contained in general. You can use this freedom to gather additional resources that you can later utilise to improve your survival kit, be it better tools, bags, etc. As well as to find "secrets" in the form of collectibles that have some value lore-wise.

Controls are fully PC-optimised as explaiend above, which is -very- welcome. I disagree with the user that said that 3rd-person games play better on a controller. I think the only thing that plays better on a controller is 2D platformers (16Bit Super Mario Bros and such) but that's matter of personal opinion.

I recommend trying this game, at least watching some gameplay to see if it's a game that can appeal to you. I personally think it's definitely worth buying and playing. If I had to rate it, I'd go with 9+ out of 10 score.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom