SpellForce 3 - Reforced Edition released

I really appreciate developers who release updates like this and make it a free upgrade for current owners. The updates they are listing don’t look huge but they could have milked it by calling it a dlc or “remastered” version or something like that and charged for it, which always seems a little shady to me.

Price aside: Disciples 3 or Spellforce 3?
Depends if you already played the original version I say play Disciples 3. As it's basically the same game with a few changes that's all. It's also a free upgrade for old buyers.

mos def spellforce 3, game is pretty long, with both addons you can get over 120-130h

I keep starting this game and it's right up my alley but I never get far. I guess this gives me another reason to delve into this game again.

I sometimes wonder if in ten years I'll be playing new games or just further patched/remastered versions of games that I have loved for all time. I look forward to the ultra-modern isometric 2D "Pools of Radiance" game once the lucrative SSI/TSR license is purchased some half decade from now, along with Skyrim: Ultra-Dooper Edition and perhaps another nice little expansion for Titan Quest, preferably by ANOTHER new studio/developer just to give it spice.

:D

if only they would pick a genre and stick to it. AS a rpg only it could be a great game...

if only they would pick a genre and stick to it. AS a rpg only it could be a great game…
Ah but then it wouldn't be a SpellForce game then. Anyway I actually enjoy the hybrid formula. I love the RTS base building and army combat, but that's just me.

I've seen many just use their heroes and play it as an RPG though.

I haven't bought or played either one.
Both then but I'd play SpellForce 3 Reforced Edition first.

The entire franchise is also on sale as well.

I keep starting this game and it's right up my alley but I never get far. I guess this gives me another reason to delve into this game again.

I sometimes wonder if in ten years I'll be playing new games or just further patched/remastered versions of games that I have loved for all time. I look forward to the ultra-modern isometric 2D "Pools of Radiance" game once the lucrative SSI/TSR license is purchased some half decade from now, along with Skyrim: Ultra-Dooper Edition and perhaps another nice little expansion for Titan Quest, preferably by ANOTHER new studio/developer just to give it spice.

:D
Tell me about it this whole year has been about remasters or remakes.

PCGamer published an article about this industry trend.

It's been a great year for RPGs, if you hate and fear the new - PCGamer
In 2019, Disco Elysium pushed the RPG genre so far people said it wasn't really an RPG at all. They called it an adventure game, or a visual novel. Disco Elysium really was an RPG of course…�one with roots in CRPG classic Planescape: Torment and the kind of tabletop roleplaying with actual dice but it was revolutionary enough to sail right to the edge of our convenient definitions. It felt like evidence of a genre that was thriving.

While games directly influenced by Disco will take a while to start arriving, it felt like the product of an overgrown RPG greenhouse. Surely that same climate was about to produce even more unusually proportioned fruit?

Maybe not. By contrast, in 2021 the genre felt safe and predictable. For starters, it was dominated by remasters, re-releases, and ports. As well as Disco Elysium's own Final Cut, there was Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Diablo 2: Resurrected, Final Fantasy's pixel remasters, Nier Replicant, Legend of Mana HD, Geneforge 1 - Mutagen, more Kingdom Hearts games on PC than any human could ever actually play, and the incremental update of Skyrim Anniversary Edition. Further ahead, we can look forward to The Witcher 3's next-gen edition and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake.

There's nothing inherently wrong with re-releasing old games. It used to be that classics were often lost, either hard to find or hard to get running on modern machines, the history of the medium evaporating behind us. Though games are still routinely delisted these days, overall the industry is better at preserving and valuing its own history than it used to be. (And profiting from that, of course.)

What's surprising is that most of the new RPGs that squeezed out between 2021's herd of re-releases didn't feel like the future, either. They skewed toward celebrations of the past, the kind of games that will inevitably be described as "love letters."

Great find on the PC Gamer article @Couchpotato;! They hit my sentiments exactly. I wasn't aware you could complete Spellforce 3 with just heroes, so I may look into it if there's a sale. I love resource gathering and base building is okay, but I hate fighting with an army. I prefer to solo fights. I also hate a battle that lasts more than a couple minutes. Any idea if it take a hero half an hour to win a single fight?

I am curious about the hero mode as well. It has been on my wishlist but also was put off a bit by how it seems coop heavy. Maybe I misunderstood that.

Ah but then it wouldn't be a SpellForce game then. Anyway I actually enjoy the hybrid formula. I love the RTS base building and army combat, but that's just me.

I've seen many just use their heroes and play it as an RPG though.

yeah true, but back in the day it was a Rts first with abit of light rpg sprinkled in.. abit like Sacrifice.

Now it's the other way around and i don't see it working the same way at least not for me. Maybe it's ok for multiplayer. But i think they have a great rpg hidden in there if they give it space to grow.

Spellforce 3 is a pretty good gam... not great, but i've enjoyed it quite a bit. If anyone is interested, there's a nice discount on steam for this: 75% for soul harvest, 40% for fallen god and additional 25% if you buy the bundle (base game plus addons). Since i had the base game i've ended up paying 12 euros for both expansions... not a bad deal.

Back
Top Bottom