The TV Series discussion thread

Well, that immediately sounds much better than Discovery, which is more of a blatant insult than mediocre. If I hear raves about the new Twilight Zone at some point, I'll likely just pick up the dvd version.

Happy just makes me.....Happy. Yeah, I know it's a show not meant for everyone, but to me this is one series based on a comic story that actually, for the most part, gets a lot right. The casting is almost perfect, I've enjoyed the main lead since he was on Oz, and the guest stars this series have been nice additions. Seeing that guy from Moonlighting get a part on a current telly show is pretty cool!! On top of that, any show that gives Al Yankovic a role gets my immediate approval!!!

If we're talking GoT, I was actually quite underwhelmed by it.

In the first place, having a melee at night, in a blizzard, with super-choppy editing, meant that I couldn't tell what was going on half the time. I also thought there were several things that made very little sense, and then to take out the Night King by having Arya pop up out of nowhere like a jack-in-the-box with a shank didn't feel very satisfying.

The undead part of the storyline always felt like a sidecar to the main plot, and it seemed to me that, without any particular idea of what to do with the Night King, they just took him off the board in quite an arbitrary way, so they can get back to the real business.

I also felt a bit underwhelmed, Ripper.

• We never knew the true Night King's motivations and I believe we'll never know;
  • Why would the cavalry advance first, when anybody couldn't see anythng in that dang darkness? Go figure!
  • Arya jumping out on the Night King is a Deus Ex Machina move :p

Yet, it was a great episode. Now… to the end of the series shall we go.

Underwhelmed is a serious understatement for how the television version of Westeros went. So....Cersei is more formidable than a six thousand year old undead menace?? That's the endgame of the television series????

Please Martin, don't take this route in the novels. That's all I can ask.

Underwhelmed is a serious understatement for how the television version of Westeros went. So….Cersei is more formidable than a six thousand year old undead menace?? That's the endgame of the television series????

Please Martin, don't take this route in the novels. That's all I can ask.

I loved the episode however, I am glad the TV series came first because now Martin can pivot and make appropriate corrections.

OTOH, with episode 3 out of the way, it looks like a lot of anti climax to look forward to. Cersei is bad but Joffrey may have been one of the best villains ever created. Kinda reminds me of Luke Cage season 1 when they killed off their excellent villain far too early in the season.

Great episode of GoT.. Lots of people with uncalibrated TV's, or shitty TV's, it seems..
Looked great and it was not hard to see. One thing i didn't care for was the music, which was extremely lame and generic.

I was probably expecting something a little less hi fantasy for this ep though, but it was ok and i didn't care about "motivation", it's the generic one that we all know already, which is common for all fantasy and is not completely unrealistic either (but not too exciting either).

Also, Bran is a very poor character i must say.. It's beginning to border to the comedic.

Overall i enjoyed it a lot though, exciting all the way through.

I thought it was great, but I expected the usual nitpicking. :)

Worth mentioning though…

Arya didn't just pop out of nowhere. That scene was set up by an earlier scene in the episode, but it was easy to overlook if you didn't get it or simply forgot about it among everything else that was going on.

Arya taking out the Night King had been subtly set up over the course of multiple seasons. It was quite brilliant actually, and if you watched the episode recap afterwards, the executive producers talk about how they planned that scene for over 3 years. It was anything but Deus ex machina. Everything she went through since going to Essos led to that moment.

I'd thought for years that the final opponent would the scion of Bael, the person that the Stark family basically erased from history. This battle played out perfectly in my mind for the past five years or more, the Aeg that was born in the crypts would fact off against the scion, two ignoble offspring squaring against one another for the history of the world at stake. I even had a role for Jamie in my mind, he would provide a distraction at some point in the fight, stabbing Ser Frosty in the back and giving Aegon another chance at victory. After all, this is what Jamie excels at, taking people/kings from unawares and securing the end of battle.

Instead, some forty year old twit is the main antagonist. I really should have seen this coming after the prior two series, I suppose. After all, I believe that one of the writers is the person that sewed Wade Wilson's lips together in another franchise, so I shouldn't be surprise this one sputtered at the end.

Instead, some forty year old twit is the main antagonist. I really should have seen this coming after the prior two series, I suppose. After all, I believe that one of the writers is the person that sewed Wade Wilson's lips together in another franchise, so I shouldn't be surprise this one sputtered at the end.

The only thing sputtering here is your imagination. ;)

I don't enjoy GRRM's prose. But dang, seeing what's happened to GoT since it outpaced his books sure makes me appreciate the difference made by having even a mediocre writer -- but a writer by profession -- guiding the ship instead of people who may love the material but are basically businessmen by trade.

Don't forget the TV show is based on his drafts for the GOT ending. Can't deny HBO's writer changed a bunch of things, but if so his book ending might not be so great either.

That's if he lives long enough to finish three more novels.

Martin will not follow this path, of that I'm certain. We just need him to survive another thirty years or so until we get the correct resolution to the tale. You can tell that the entire show simply disintegrated once they no longer had the script spoon-fed to them by Martin anymore. It turned into the worse kind of tripe, it doesn't even anger me at this point, I just pity the result.

Novels, don't let us down!!

What's the general opinion on Cobra Kai? I've always blown it off as a silly cash grab, but a friend of mine keeps bugging me to watch it.

I just loved every second of the last GoT episode and the one before that too. A-class tv. I don't care what anyone says. :biggrin: It was really worth of all the wait. I was on the edge of my seat whole time. And weren't there quite many epic moments… The revelation of Azor Ahai, not the least. ;) They will have hard time topping the long night, but I'm sure they prove me wrong.

I loved it myself, but there sure are a lot of Debbie downers here. Intense and hard to watch for me. I particularly liked the scenes with Arya though. She's my favorite. That's 2 episodes in a row that really plucked my heartstrings.

At least he keeps the Wild Card series going, and I was invested in that a full decade before his plunge into Westeros. I'll have to hope that the television version of Wild Cards turns out to be worth watching, every time I see a preview of the new upcoming Watchmen show, I find myself cringing.

Spoiler alert I'm calling it now.

Arya ins't Azor Ahai just a fan favorite. So it was altered from the books to TV adaptation, and in the end she will be the one to kill Cersei Lannister.
Also this prophesy from Melisandre.

“I see a darkness in you,” Melisandre tells Arya. “And in that darkness, eyes staring back at me: brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you’ll shut forever. We will meet again.”
Hint:Cersei has green eyes.

Back
Top Bottom