Final Fantasy VII - Do We Need A Remake

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamersector has a new editorial called, "Evaluating the Need for a Final Fantasy VII Remake".

Earlier this month, Final Fantasy VII, the beloved Square title released in 1997, saw its release on Steam. By this point, all of Final Fantasy fandom can agree on one thing: we aren't getting a PS3 remake of the original PlayStation smash hit. And yet, despite Square's persistence in denying its loyal fans any gratification in this realm, consumer demand for a full HD remake is high. Perhaps, with the release of next-gen platforms on the horizon, Square will consider revisiting this idea. But should they?

For those of you unaware of just how this demand was sparked, here's a brief history. In 2005, around the same time the compilation of Final Fantasy VII (hereafter referred to as the Compilation) was incepted, Square unveiled a tech demo at E3, mistakenly using the opening sequence from FFVII to demonstrate the PS3's technical prowess. Since then, speculation has arisen that a VII remake was intended as part of the Compilation, and outcry for a remake continues to this day.
More information.

Jeez, he's not talking re-make, he's talking re-boot with voice acting and a whole new battle system. That's NOT what the cries I've been hearing are asking for. What they want is the following:
  • Update the graphics
  • Update the music (but keep the old music as option)
That's IT. No more! Well, OK, you can smooth the font out a bit I suppose and maybe fix up the translations.

When he talks about voice acting he worries over the voice acting quality but he doesn't even seem to remember that text means you can rename your characters. As far as I'm concerned, it's not Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, Barret, and Red 13. It's actually Cloud, Lara, Sky, Flailer, and Dagget.

He's right in that Square hasn't been very impressive of late so maybe it's better to wait for a more... sane time. Frankly, though, I would rather them remake it now than let this guy stick his ideas into the game!

• Update the graphics
  • Update the music (but keep the old music as option)
That's IT. No more! Well, OK, you can smooth the font out a bit I suppose and maybe fix up the translations.

This ^ - and I would even say just leave the music alone.

Just give us the exact same game with next-gen graphics. Perhaps clean up the story a little though. I found the original plot a bit confusing, although that was probably just due to inconsistencies in the translation.

I don't have much love for jrpgs nowadays, but I would definitely play a remake of FF VII.

Just update the Graphics to next-gen, Everything else is great.

None plays JRPG's for the gameplay anyway so updating the gameplay would be pointless.

I'm not a fan, so I really shouldn't be talking too much about this. But if they want me to play this kind of JRPG - I could do with a faster combat system and some adult dialogue with professional voice acting.

Also, the console text-based UI was atrocious - so I'd like a modern implementation that works well with m/kb.

But, obviously, they should serve the real fans before someone like me.

If the dialogue is immature, the gameplay not the main attraction and the art assets badly need an update..what's so good about this game?

The problem with Final Fantasy VII is that it's not 3d to begin with, which means that the whole game needs to be rethought. Making a remake of FFVII is thus a lot more of a hassle than what it looks like and will essentially be building a whole new game.

I agree with everyone here. I'd like a remake but it doesn't have to be some crazy 3D thing that looks like the current FF games. I'd be happy with an update that keeps the graphics mostly 2D, just with with some sharp sprites and HD background images. Kind of like what has been achieved with the mods, only taken to the next level. And yes, an orchestral score for the music (like Distant Worlds) would be awesome as well.

DEFINITELY NO, keep it as-is. i dont see the point, it is a MASTER PEACE.

Remake NO! HD graphics yes. That is all.

FF6 is better anyway. However, I can't say that I really want either to be remade. Squeenix2013 would almost certainly botch the job.

to this day I still don't understand the appeal of this game. I only even noticed it because of the non-stop RPGDot coverage and its weird shaped box at Software, etc.

Updated music? Weren't there 27 albums with the Fainal Fantasy VII name on it that were all hits in Japan?

An HD rehash could be quite profitable as the main costs of development are already done.

Few updated graphics enhanced games do well however. Pirates was an exception but that was complete re-write.

Back
Top Bottom