Embracer Group - Lost $431 Million last Year

Never heard of this group before, yet I'll hope they'll stay the course, as what was lost can easily be acquired in the future. The business philosophy seems sound, be a little diverse, try different approaches and when you find something that resonates with your audience, take your ques from there.
Re-read the post above Embracer is the latest name for THQ Nordic. This company changes it's name every few years. It gets very confusing if you don't follow the news.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group

You probably played a few of their games in the last five years or so.

PB confirmed they are working on Elex 3 as well. Doesn't surprise me with that ending.

Did they really confirm it?

Couchpotato said:
Like you both said the money paid the 30+ workers. Obsidian spent around the same or less for Pillars 2, and they even used crowdfunding. That game unperformed as well.

It seems that part of core audiences of both games were not really impressed by PoE1 and Elex1. Second games doesnt seem like much evolution so a lot of players probably moved to competition that rise meantime. ARPG evolved a lot with Witcher and others, their is finally Elden Ring etc… and there is also more CRPGs than it was in time of PoE1. Especially Larian aims high with BG3.

On the other hand, its opposite story with Spiders. They got successfull with Greedfall because there is actually less story-driven ARPGs in Bioware style and they were smart to create pretty original world with great art direction (not perfect graphics but nice enough). So it all pays off.
To create original world is not the same as throw together post-apo, sci-fi and fantasy elements like apples and potatoes and mix it up in mixer. :) And you Couch should know something about it. :)

Couchpotato said:
Anachronox I've been waiting over 30+ years for a sequel.

Do you expect THQ will revive such old IP?
It doesnt have the same status as Deus Ex or Thief.

Do you expect THQ will revive such old IP?
It doesnt have the same status as Deus Ex or Thief.
A sequel for Anachronox probably has a small chance, but a remaster is surely possible as Embracer loves to make money off of the older IP's they buy. I'll take either.

A sequel for Anachronox probably has a small chance, but a remaster is surely possible as Embracer loves to make money off of the older IP's they buy. I'll take either.

I think so too. Embracer has way more than 100 internal studios. They love to give remasters to the more cost-efficient ones. Sometimes they only ramp up the resolution, upgrade the interface and ensure compatibility with modern hardware. In other instances they do graphics upgrades and new content too, or even full remakes.

This remaster thing, including bringing old games to new platforms, is part of Embracer's core business.

I'm quite optimistic we'll get another Deus Ex. Remasters of the old ones first, though.

I think a new Deus Ex game is inevitable, but you really think they'd remaster the older titles? I'd pay double for a decent remaster of the original DX.

I still find that name "Embracer" weird for a company.

I suppose it's meant to invoke a strong emotion. Kind of like ... psychology play.

Hmm..well Gothic is getting a full remake so I don't see why the older Deus Ex's wont. Question is will it be a full adaption were fans wont complain or something different?

We've already seen what happens with the Gothic fan-base.

Re-read the post above Embracer is the latest name for THQ Nordic. This company changes it's name every few years. It gets very confusing if you don't follow the news.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group

You probably played a few of their games in the last five years or so.
It may not be the "THQ Nordic" you're thinking of though. There were two companies named "THQ Nordic":

- An Austrian game publisher named "THQ Nordic GmbH". They publish games like SpellForce, ELEX, Expeditions: Rome, and so forth. This company is still named "THQ Nordic" today.

- A Swedish holding company named "THQ Nordic AB" which owns the above company, along with many other video game related companies, for example Gearbox Entertainment and Koch Media (which owns Deep Silver and Warhorse Studios). This is the company that changed its name to Embracer, one of the reasons being to avoid confusion with the above company.

Yep hence the rename a few years ago. I knew about that as it was in the news on this very site. It was a logical decision but for those not in the know it gets confusing.

I should have added the AB after Nordic but didn't so thanks for the reply.

Alright, wasn't sure based on the way you phrased it. I would guess that when most people think of THQ Nordic, they think of the Austrian company, not the Swedish one that's now called Embracer. And nothing's changed with the name there.

I wonder why they choose to name them-self's after their umbrella company? It had to cause problems in business matters. Probably the main reason for the change.

There was a twitter post about that announcement years back.

Anyway the original THQ is dead and the Austrian company isn't even the same.

I think a new Deus Ex game is inevitable, but you really think they'd remaster the older titles? I'd pay double for a decent remaster of the original DX.
(I'll just write "Embracer" to avoid having to sort which publisher calls the shots in this case.)

It would make a lot of sense. A new Deus Ex would probably be made by the studio which made HR and MD, simply because they were very good games. Safe bet, low risk, yadda yadda.
But the Montreal studio is busy with one or more unannounced game(s). It's more likely they are working on something Marvel related than a new Deus Ex. Unless we're getting lucky and it's already in the works, it could take another 2-3 years before development even starts. So there could be a time window of 5-6 years available to do something with the older games.

A quick tech-fix remaster for the first 2 games, with minimal work apart from that, would probably be a small project for one of their specialized studios. Or for a bigger studio between projects.
Black Forest Games for example worked on at least one smaller remaster (Titan Quest for consoles) and a port (Risen 3 for PS4) before they did the Destroy all Humans Remakes. So Embracer likes to shuffle things around and stay flexible.

The business reasons are obvious. At least the small remasters are dirt cheap, and ports based on it probably too. So that's easy money, given Embracer's expertise on very broad monetization of their back catalog. Bigger remakes are a different beast, but still less risky than a new IP.
Even here Embracer tends to be flexible. The Black Forest GM said in their DevPlay (*) YouTube show that the original idea was to do the quick turnaround tech thing for DoH. But they managed to convince their publisher to let them do a full remake including all assets except voices and music. The math worked and the project made money. They're working on the sequel.
Now Embracer has precise numbers to decide if there's a market for a new game and how big the budget can be.

There's a problem Embracer needs to solve though, for all games coming out of the new studios they bought from Square Enix: They are console studios. The Dutch studio (**) which made the superb PC conversions for the last couple of Tomb Raider and Deus Ex games is no longer available. So the know how needs to be found elsewhere.
The good news is that we can expect a lot of high quality ports of Playstation exclusives from Sony. ;)

(*) German language, with Black Forest Games, Piranha Bytes, Deck 13, King Art and the guys who did Fantasy General 2, plus guests.
(**) Nixxes handled the PC ports for more or less all relevant EIDOS North America games since the year 2000.

Nixxes did some of the best PC ports of Eidos-Montréal games. To bad they are now owned by Sony, but I don't know it they are able to help their competitors now?

As Sony keeps most of their owned studios PS exclusive.

Nixxes did some of the best PC ports of Eidos-Montréal games. To bad they are now owned by Sony, but I don't know it they are able to help their competitors now?

As Sony keeps most of their owned studios PS exclusive.

They can't. They are a Playstation Studio. The only way they could help out is if there's a deal between Embracer and Sony. And this won't happen. Nixxes will probably port things like Uncharted, etc. to PC.

Solid PC ports aren't rocket science though. Embracer has many PC studios. Just give the ports to an AA-studio and fund the work appropriately. The usual problem is the budget.

I would think that's the case, yet we still seem to get so many half-assed ports for some reason…

Money, as in lack of budget.
Or lack of interest (From Software).
Or it's considered unnecessary because the stupid community will fix everything for free within a few weeks. (Bethesda RPGs)

Nice summary Gorath you forgot to mention Square Enix.:lol:

The ports are always a mix but mostly poor cash grabs that need mods to fix.

Back
Top Bottom