NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

Well, a proper upgrade would be very welcome. This sounds incredibly underwhelming to me, though.

NWN works perfectly on modern machines with modern resolutions. I played it a few months ago and had no issues. I use a 21:9 monitor, btw.

Quite the blatant cash grab from the kings of low-key cash grabbers ;)

Seems like an awful lot of work to grab cash from a few old, nerdy CRPG enthusiasts. :lol:

Why not Candy Crush Saga: NWN Edition? Or add lootboxes full of Bastard Sword +5's to the game?

There's got to be a better way, lol.

Seems like an awful lot of work to grab cash from a few old, nerdy CRPG enthusiasts. :lol:

Why not Candy Crush Saga: NWN Edition? Or add lootboxes full of Bastard Sword +5's to the game?

There's got to be a better way, lol.

We must have very different ideas of "a lot of work" ;)

But don't get me wrong, I don't fret about cash-grabs. It's the norm - not the exception.

It's just that most suits manage to hide it slightly better.

We must have very different ideas of "a lot of work" ;)

But don't get me wrong, I don't fret about cash-grabs. It's the norm - not the exception.

It's just that most suits manage to hide it slightly better.

Just seems like a lot of stuff to do for very little payoff. Recompile ancient code, figure out a weird, old and archaic engine. Do this reverse engineering stuff, just to grab cash from a few of us diehards on RPGWatch and GOG who might still play the game today? :lol:

I'm just saying, if I were out to make a quick buck, I could think of a lot more ways to do it then that, lol.

If you already have it then who cares.

If you haven't bought it yet after almost 20 years, you missed your damn chance.

Fuck, some gamers are such an entitled bunch over the price of two cups of Starbucks.

The 15 to 30 minutes spent arguing over this shit could be used to work an extra half hour at work and buy the damn Enhanced Editions.
I would not buy this shit even if I was Bill Gates. Actually if I was Bill Gates I would buy Beamdog and fire all their incompetent greedy bosses and give their developers real jobs.

I agree with Dart. If the "enhanced" edition doesn't contain more than reported by gameinformer, it's really trivial and not worth the price if you own the originals.

I don't care though. In best case Beamdog makes some money to fund an actual new game I'll like.
It's not theat they're trying to scam someone. They have a product and ask for a price. Consuments will vote with their wallets.

I would not buy this shit even if I was Bill Gates. Actually if I was Bill Gates I would buy Beamdog and fire all their incompetent greedy bosses and give their developers real jobs.

:lol:

Dog, if I were Bill Gates, I'd have a tightly-knit RPG dev studio full of geniuses working on a hardcore CRPG. The end result would not be based on the want or need for profit whatsoever, i.e. do whatever the hell you want, who cares if it sells as long as it's an interesting RPG.

Make my dream game, essentially.

Do this reverse engineering stuff, just to grab cash from a few of us diehards on RPGWatch and GOG who might still play the game today?.
How do you know they have to reverse engineer? The source code might as well be available to them.

:lol:

Dog, if I were Bill Gates, I'd have a tightly-knit RPG dev studio full of geniuses working on a hardcore CRPG. The end result would not be based on the want or need for profit whatsoever, i.e. do whatever the hell you want, who cares if it sells as long as it's an interesting RPG.

Make my dream game, essentially.
Your hardcore crpg would probably be some bethesda like shit so please never become rich.

I still replay NWN occasionally, and it still works just fine. I assume there's more to it than what little we've heard, because UI scaling and a slight polish on the graphics doesn't seem like something that would occupy them since the PST: EE. Either that, or they're also doing something else at the same time (it's a decent sized company now, after all).

If you already have it then who cares.

If you haven't bought it yet after almost 20 years, you missed your damn chance.

Fuck, some gamers are such an entitled bunch over the price of two cups of Starbucks.

The 15 to 30 minutes spent arguing over this shit could be used to work an extra half hour at work and buy the damn Enhanced Editions.

See the issue is not the price itself. It's about whether you are getting the value worthwhile for the price you pay.

You don't mind paying $20 for EE, that mean to you are getting your worth for that value.

On the other hand, people like me don't see the "enhanced" features bringing anything worthwhile to the table, hence cannot justify any extra cost to the original price.

Just seems like a lot of stuff to do for very little payoff. Recompile ancient code, figure out a weird, old and archaic engine. Do this reverse engineering stuff, just to grab cash from a few of us diehards on RPGWatch and GOG who might still play the game today? :lol:

I'm just saying, if I were out to make a quick buck, I could think of a lot more ways to do it then that, lol.

Again, we must have very different ideas of "a lot of stuff".

To me, it seems absolutely trivial compared with the profit they'll generate.

Remember, you don't need a huge market if you don't invest much time and money.

I think they're doing very, very well - and this is just opportunism.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that. I don't really care, to be honest.

Your hardcore crpg would probably be some bethesda like shit so please never become rich.

It wouldn't be Demons Age, that's for sure. :D

Probably something like Morrowind meets NWN with ELEX level (or tighter) balancing and a larger scale than any of them.

Probably would just buy PB and give them whatever money they wanted. Hire Avellone, Monte, all the classic Troika guys, etc.. And let Bjorn figure it out. :D

Last edited:
Again, we must have very different ideas of "a lot of stuff".

To me, it seems absolutely trivial compared with the profit they'll generate.

Remember, you don't need a huge market if you don't invest much time and money.

I think they're doing very, very well - and this is just opportunism.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that. I don't really care, to be honest.

I doubt Trent went back there just to do simple "cash grabs", though. :lol: He at least loves this type of game and wants to see it return in the long run. And hey, if it makes them money to do better things in the future, well, good. That's business after all.

I just don't know how easy it is to do these things when you are essentially working with 15+ year old code and ancient engines, but hey, I know nothing about this stuff so I won't speculate further. :)

I doubt Trent went back there just to do simple "cash grabs", though. :lol: He at least loves this type of game and wants to see it return in the long run. And hey, if it makes them money to do better things in the future, well, good. That's business after all.

I just don't know how easy it is to do these things when you are essentially working with 15+ year old code and ancient engines, but hey, I know nothing about this stuff so I won't speculate further. :)

I'm not exactly shocked you have no idea what you're talking about in terms of what it takes to alter existing code and add a few trivial visual features to the renderer :)

Also, I have zero knowledge of or interest in their motivation here. I'm exclusively looking at the price and then what you get for that price.

It's from that position that I think it's a blatant cash grab. I have no idea what Beamdog themselves think - nor do I particularly care.

I don't get personal here - and I will still buy anything they do that I consider worth the price.

I mean, they can consider themselves Father Christmas giving away gifts in an effort to improve the world - and yet it would change nothing about what I think it is.

I'm sure Trump thinks he's a great leader of men, for instance. Doesn't really interfere with my perception of his abilities, you know? ;)

you know? ;)

Nah, no clue what you're talking about at this point. :lol:

All I know is, every business is in it to make money, and every game is trying to make profit while spending less. That's business. I just don't live in a world where every game released is a cash grab.

Unless it's recycled Ubisoft stuff, then okay. I don't play those anyway, though.

Now Star Citizen, THAT certainly grabbed some cash, didn't it. :D

And yes, I understand how perception works. I'm simply giving you mine to counter the one you presented.

Nah, no clue what you're talking about at this point. :lol:

All I know is, every business is in it to make money, and every game is trying to make profit while spending less. That's business. I just don't live in a world where every game released is a cash grab.

Unless it's recycled Ubisoft stuff, then okay. I don't play those anyway, though.

Now Star Citizen, THAT certainly grabbed some cash, didn't it. :D

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

You seem to be going in circles.

Yes, they're a business and they're trying to make money here - and they're trying to spend as little as possible.

We absolutely agree :)

I also find it delightfully ironic that you would mention "recycled" stuff in this particular debate.

As for Star Citizen, yes - the budget is growing and unlike the vast majority of AAA games - they're actually spending the money to improve the game, rather than making it commercially viable.

It's essentially the dream of crowd-funding that I never expected to happen.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

You seem to be going in circles.

Yes, they're a business and they're trying to make money here - and they're trying to spend as little as possible.

We absolutely agree :)

I also find it delightfully ironic that you would mention "recycled" stuff in this particular debate.

As for Star Citizen, yes - the budget is growing and unlike the vast majority of AAA games - they're actually spending the money to improve the game, rather than making it commercially viable.

It's essentially the dream of crowd-funding that I never expected to happen.

Every game is a cash grab by your definition. Probably not Star Citizen, though, your One Game To Rule Them All. :D

I don't really care, just giving you a hard time, really.

Now I'm off to record some more ELEX. :party:

And P.S. It's not a cash grab. :p

Every game is a cash grab by your definition. Probably not Star Citizen, though, your One Game To Rule Them All. :D

I don't really care, just giving you a hard time, really.

Now I'm off to record some more ELEX. :party:

And P.S. It's not a cash grab. :p

You don't seem to understand the simple concept.

Let me try again:

To me, a cash grab is asking for more than your product is worth.

Meaning, it's not a cash grab to you - but it is to me.

I'm not sure what your obsession with Star Citizen is - but you're very right, it's not a cash grab to me.

Of course, I could be wrong - as the game isn't out yet. But, again, the game will tell all.

The text font looks horrible and pixelated. Hope they can fix this as by itself it would stop me buying.

I am starting to take offence at many of these releases being titled "enhanced editions" when they have only a very small list of improvements. Most games released nowadays get "patches" with a bigger list of improvements than this.

However there may be many more small fixes that aren't listed in this video.

Disappointing to see that beamdog do not have the resources to improve art assets. This says to me that they simply would not have the manpower/capital to make a new game from scratch as many people are hoping they would do.

While I am disappointed (would much prefer a "remaster"), it is still at least a good thing to have some companies making these classics work on modern machines.

Back
Top Bottom