Cyanide Studios - Acquired by Bigben Interactive

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming Bigben Interactive have acquired Cyanide Studios, who are developing Call of Cthulhu, to expand their catalog of IP.

By adding this step to its value-creation chain, Bigben secures strategic know-how and high-quality design for its next games, fulfilling its clearly defined ambition to become a leader in the AA video game segment.

This transaction also allows Bigben to acquire several IP assets representing key assets as well as an outstanding experience accumulated over numerous productions by confirmed developers recognized for the great quality of their games.

[...]
More information.

All the Cyanide titles are still in my back-log, so I cannot speak about their quality. Although, I always had the impression they tried to explore new ways however imperfect the result was. I commend them for that.

I believe this is just a small step to some bigger company merger where BI will become a part of EA, Ubi, Warner or, hopefully, Tencent.

Blood Bowl was pretty decent. Confrontation, Aarklash, Of Orcs and Men and Styx (based on the Confrontation board game) were also decent, especially Aarklash

To be honest i would have prefered someone like Nordic or Focus, instead of Bigben, which is a rather c..p company.

You're probaby right... EA closed their studio in Montreal.

Yeah, this isn't going to be good for the Cthulhu universe. At least I just don't see how it could be.

It should have no influence on Call of Cthulhu. This game is too far into production.

The acquisition is expected to close in June 2018. Cyanide will maintain its existing agreements with publishers, with Call of Cthulhu, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and Space Hulk: Tactics to be published by Focus Home Interactive.

On the other hand I wonder if it could harm a little the other games, Werewolf and Space Hulk, that just started production at best. Because new publisher would like them to focus more people on new titles.

Bigben also commanded all Cthulhu developers to take the Cyanide, and now they are lying very still with a bluish tinge, on the floor..

People who are involved with Cthulhu laugh at mere mortal pains like cyanide. They are more likely to be concerned with such abstracts like, "Where is my soul? I could swear I left it just right over here"......

It's not just Cyanide. BigBen just sprang for the wallet again and got themselves Spiders too:
https://wccftech.com/bigben-just-acquired-french-studio-spiders/
Bigben Interactive announced the acquisition of French studio Spiders, known to RPG fans for titles like GreedFall (due on September 10th for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One), The Technomancer, Bound by Flame, Mars: War Logs and Of Orcs and Men.

The acquisition, to be fully paid in cash, is expected to be completed by early September. The press release mentions how this is yet another step in Bigben’s ‘2022’ growth plan. This is, in fact, the fourth investment made recently by the French publisher, who had previously purchased Cyanide (Styx, Blood Bowl, Call of Cthulhu, and the upcoming Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood), increased its stake in Kylotonn Racing (TT Isle of Man, V-Rally 4, and the upcoming WRC 8), and acquired Eko Software (How to Survive, Warhammer Chaosbane). All of these investments were made into French-based game development studios.

The kings of mediocrity acquired by someone I've never heard about.

Hmm.....

Back
Top Bottom