Rules for Shilling Video Games On YouTube

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Kotaku were approached by a firm to promote Perfectworld NWN Online and Star Trek Online, but they decided to explore what they had to do if they accepted so they could find out the "marketing plan".

It's all in this article.

You might look differently at the "youtube personalities" talking about how great game X is after reading that, especially when the "sponsored by" tag is rarely visible.

Same goes for Instagram, Twitter, and every other social medium.

Unless you know the person, it can be safely assumed someone broadcasting endorsements for products mayyyy have been paid.

Marketing is a stain on this world. A stain that can be removed with help from eco-friendly Ajax! The best stain remover at the lowest price.

Last edited:
Star Trek Online is a gambling machine packed into f2p MMO.
I don't think Kotaku should promote it. By any means.

With Youtubers it's normally quite easy to spot whether someone is a shill or not, similarly to how you can spot shillers on forums. It's in the tone, the history, the style and, most importantly, a general understanding of whether the game actually turns out to be shit or not. It takes very few obvious misinformations to send a channel south, so the good channels try to keep it honest.

I've watched CohhCarnage a few times and he seems to be one of the more honest. Annoying and terrible at gaming, but fairly honest. I've seen him play a game for a while, declare it total crap, and stop streaming/playing it. Gotta respect that.

On the other hand, he is 100% money motivated and constantly courts his subs and websubs. If I hear him say "GOOD SHOW" once more I swear I will start raping cute bunnies.

If I hear him say "GOOD SHOW" once more I swear I will start raping cute bunnies.

But... but the bunnies!

Unless you make gloves or hasenpfeffer.. then its ok.

youtube personalities would not be among the 3 people I trust.:)

I'll watch them occasionally but only to see gameplay. I don't trust what the have to say about it, I'll trust my own eyes.

They've only deceived me a few times but I was young and alcohol was involved.;)

I have friends, I don't look to the webs to find out about stuff or life, I ask real people. Think of the internet as a vast sewer with a few occasional dry spots, and, like I try to avoid sewage, I also avoid most of the internet =)

I've come to a point where a feeling or my intuition tells me "this could be it", or "this could be interesting" when buying a game.

Back
Top Bottom