Phoenix Point - AMA with Julian Gollop

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Reddit AMA with Julian Gollop about Phoenix Point and the Epic Games Store decision.

HerrJemine
56 points 10 hours ago

A lot of backers choosed a higher tier to get access to the first two DLCs. Do those get the difference back or at least some other compensation?

JulianGollop

LEAD DESIGNER 11 points 9 hours ago

The living weapons / chitin armour is actually a single DLC pack, and will remain exclusive to backers. You will also get at least 3 DLC packs free over the course of the year.

-

Sharillon
63 points 10 hours ago

Question: Backers who backed the game from China can't even install the Epic Launcher, since Epic Games actively blocks the Launcher there. Why do they have to wait 1 year now because you decided that?

How could I, as a backer, even play the game in China? I could easily do it via GOG or Steam.

Business Guy-17 points 9 hours ago

We're looking into our options for China right now, and hope to have something to share on that topic soon.
MRIchalk

-

Epic does not, so far as I'm aware, have a 'workshop' like Steam does. Does this affect the sense or extent to which PP will be mod-friendly,
and can you clarify further yet how modding is expected to be facilitated?

JulianGollop

LEAD DESIGNER 11 points 9 hours ago

We will be supporting some limited modding post-release, but it will not come before the first major DLC.
We don't know yet what modding support Epic will be providing in the future, but we will provide a custom solution if necessary.

-

JulianGollop
LEAD DESIGNER 26 points 9 hours ago

Phoenix Point will be DRM free, and will run without the Epic Launcher. You can uninstall it after downloading or updating, and the game will run fine.
You can even add it to your Steam library manually. All backers will get at least 3 major DLC packs throughout the year. If you only want to play on Steam/gog.com, you will get a Steam/gog key after the exclusive year has ended which will include all the DLC up to that point. Yes, we did expect some people to be upset by the Epic deal, and we did not make this decision lightly. We have enough resources to release the game, but the Epic deal will help the game enormously in terms of quality and post-release content. It helps give our employees security and gives them the confidence they can get the job done, despite the stress and high expectations.

-

Salty_Marshmallows
9 points 9 hours ago

"Major" DLC? Are there going to be "Minor" packs that backers do not have access to? (Disregarding Pre-order bonus such as living armour)

JulianGollop
LEAD DESIGNER 14 points 9 hours ago

There will be some free content updates as well.

-

MrRatt
40 points 10 hours ago

I'm looking at getting a refund, because I do not want to support the Epic Game Store and their exclusivity purchases such as the one that just happened with Phoenix Point.

Why are you unable to provide the refund via the payment method? I'm sure I'm not in the minority of being uncomfortable with handing my bank account information over to a third party.

Business Guy
19 points 10 hours ago

Because we are offering refunds to anyone who purchased from the Fig campaign (almost two years ago) until today,we literally can't refund via original payment method because too much has elapsed in many of these cases.
After extensive research and testing of a number of methods (including PayPal), this is the most efficient way for us
to process a significant number of refunds to people in many different countries around the world.
They have a 9.2 rating with TrustPilot (https://www.trustpilot.com/review/transferwise.com) and
we use them ourselves to transfer money to pay studio salaries every month.

-
elusiveElk
18 points 9 hours ago

I think it's fair to say that the marketing for this game so far has suggested an experience that will in some ways fall closer to "old" than "new" xcom, as a tactical or strategic experience. Is there any element of the design direction in X-COM: UFO DEFENSE and its direct sequels that you would say was a mistake? Anything you're trying to avoid in this new game, when it comes to how players will react to it?

JulianGollop
LEAD DESIGNER 21 points 9 hours ago

Good question. There were certainly big problems with the original X-COM - lack of tutorials, poor interface, lack fo feedback,fiddly inventory management. We are taking a few lessons from modern XCOMs, while keeping and improving on some stuff in the old ones. Phoenix Point also takes some ideas from X-COM Apocalypse, with multiple human factions and agendas. I want it to have more of a simulation / sandbox feel, but with some strong story lines from each faction.

-
Arioch_RN
20 points 10 hours ago

Free DLC - with the new influx of money, will the missed funding goals from the Fig be implemented as part of the free DLC? The sea missions, floating bases etc?

JulianGollop
LEAD DESIGNER 22 points 10 hours ago

Yes - all the proposed DLC from the Fig campaign will be implemented, plus more.
We plan at least 3 major DLC packs which include new missions, storylines, aliens, equipment etc.
Backers who ordered the living weapons/armour sets will get those as an exclusive DLC pack in addition.
We will be supporting the game with extra content as soon as possible after release and throughout the following year.
We are definitely in it for the long haul.

-

IsaiasSkywalker
11 points 9 hours ago edited 9 hours ago

Epic games hate blah blah all that, but besides the hate, I still have genuine questions.

Will there be an action cam similar to Xcom2s? I loved seeing a close of up of my soldier or an alien getting blown away, I would at least like the option.

How many voice lines will you be adding, mostly for aliens, because if I hear that alien say that damn line one more time while he shoots me i'm gonna flip.

Would it be possible to add some old time war weaponry and such? I know its all futuristic and stuff but if there are rag tag teams in cities I would imagine they don't get the top of the line gear.

Ragdoll physics, this is small thing to me but I think they go a long way in making the game just have that feel, will you be improving them? For example reactions to multiple shots, even after death etc. This is also another reason why I loved the action cam in Xcom2, even though it didn't have the best physics.

Action cam tho pls.

JulianGollop
LEAD DESIGNER 13 points 9 hours ago

Yes absolutely - there will be plenty (you will also be able to turn them off if you wish).

The aliens will have quite a few more barks in BR4, with more yet to come. Soldiers will also get them.

The independent havens have soldiers that look like bandits with rough looking weapons. Still from the future though.

Yes, we will be improving them, during our polish phase. The environment destruction will also be getting a major overhaul.

-
More information.

Having no single comment on this thread 1.5 day after an awaited AMA happened only confirms how weak such AMA was. Julian Gollop/Snapshot only answered to the most unharmful questions asked (or as most Reddit users said, "softball questions" - I didn't know this expression).

Of course after what they did, people would, this time, focus most questions on the Epic Store deal (instead of the game itself): why did they do that, doubts about the whole refunding process, a confusion that still exists about whether or not Steam/GOG users will also get all those 3 "free DLCs" for free one year after game releases on Epic platform, etc etc etc. But they came to the AMA kinda unprepared to answer those questions. Even more sadly because Jullian Gollop himself, on his video, made it appear he would be ready to face the angered backers. To the best of my knowledge, he spontaneously announced the AMA, he wasn't hard pressed to do that.

Last edited:
I saw the other news thread, skipped.

Gollop justification are total non sense (sorry if now non sense is an insult in English, sigh).

They take backers as hostage, unacceptable, gangster behavior.
They broke engagements, unacceptable, thief behavior.
The refund isn't complete, fees are for the hostages, robber behavior.
Delivery delayed of one year, either Gollop is an idiot (not the insult, fact about mental deficiency) or he thinks players are idiots then he is a double idiot (the double fact, not the double insult).
No consultation of pledgers opinion, zero respect to pledgers, stinky mentality.

This guy is probably senile now, here the probable sad truth.

To be clear I'm 100% in favor of a serious concurrent for Steam, but never ever from Epic that always stole from true creators.

Moreover, I'll never ever buy to a store that claim focus on dev not buyers, lol.

Seriously, are players are cows or what?

Are you saying that you have vision of future and predicted Epic store?

I wish!!! No, I was speaking as someone that has contributed to many kick starter programs and, at times, I've ignored warning signs and premises/ideas that just seemed a bit off. This one, since it went the route of indie gogo, completely scared me off and I'm happy it did so.

I wish!!! No, I was speaking as someone that has contributed to many kick starter programs and, at times, I've ignored warning signs and premises/ideas that just seemed a bit off. This one, since it went the route of indie gogo, completely scared me off and I'm happy it did so.
Indie gogo? I didn't knew, I pledged fig.

Once again, I'm truly glad I avoided buying into this mess. One of the few times where my danger sense went off and I actually paid heed!

:music: I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky... :music:

Moreover, I'll never ever buy to a store that claim focus on dev not buyers, lol.

A couple of days ago I read an online interview where Tim Sweeney (CEO - Epic Games) tells the same thing: Epic Store focuses on the devs, not the consumers. IMHO, this is a big mistake, for there are no devs if there are no consumers.

JDR13, the question is not as simple as installing or not installing another gaming client. At least, not to me.

Last edited:
In this case, I do understand people being upset if they backed the project from the start expecting a Steam or GOG release.

Let me ask a question though. Were those things ever guaranteed at any point?

To be honest, I backed expecting to get a Steam key at launch. Back then, when original Fig campaign was released, there was no Epic Client. So the original campaign revolved around "You can choose either Steam or GOG key". Nobody could foresee the future, that few years later a Epic Client would exist, etc etc. Because of that, we can't say things were ever guaranteed from the start… But yes, the campaign stated you would choose either a Steam or GOG key.

Last edited:
My question is would people have backed this game if they didn't have any sort of expectations? I'd say not. I think most of people backed it expecting the game quality to be decent with features noted in kickstarter page (which means on Steam and GoG). So, why shouldn't backers be disappointed or angry?

I'd suggest, though, that a change of distributor is just one of many differences that occur between what is described in a typical Kickstarter, and what is ultimately delivered. People are often unhappy about those differences, and they don't usually get the offer of a refund.

My question is would people have backed this game if they didn't have any sort of expectations? I'd say not. I think most of people backed it expecting the game quality to be decent with features noted in kickstarter page (which means on Steam and GoG). So, why shouldn't backers be disappointed or angry?

Eh? While I totally understand why people would be upset about it, the platform it's on is not a "feature".

Eh? While I totally understand why people would be upset about it, the platform it's on is not a "feature".
It's a feature because it was in Fig campaign description, Steam or Gog.

Moreover I thought Linux was included too but Linux is not for Epic store.

I deeply vomit Epic, because they are only good to steal ideas where they see there's money to do. This store is just one more example.

You can remove Epic from whole gaming history and you won't lost much. Do that for those they cloned and the gaming history would be deeply changed.

What do you need to do to sign up for an Epic Games Store account anyways.

Seems like I could use a free gmail to sign up. Download the game and the DLC when it arrives and archive it (its DRM free). Then I could disable my Epic Games Store account once all crucial patches have been delivered and play it at my leisure. Then I close my Epic Games Store account and get the GOG version as promised. A temporary throw away email will not keep me up at night.

Julian has worked out how to use this EGS money to his advantage to get the game to where he wants it. None of the Phoenix Point customers have to stay with Epic Games Store if they don't want and I'm presuming no credit card information has to be provided upon signing up. Smart guy.

A question: how about the eventual patches that will be released? Steam and GoG Galaxy both have their patching and DLC delivery systems which require these clients be installed on the computer. How can we get rid of Epic Client Store without affecting patches and DLCs?

A question: how about the eventual patches that will be released? Steam and GoG Galaxy both have their patching and DLC delivery systems which require these clients be installed on the computer. How can we get rid of Epic Client Store without affecting patches and DLCs?

Maybe I can get my patches via the Snapshot Games launcher, considering its being used for Phoenix Point beta. Or download them from somewhere else hopefully. With the game DRM free I don't have to have the client running to play the game. I just need to check sporadically for new patches/DLC and then re-archive until its time to leave the store.

Back
Top Bottom