Microsoft - Could Acquire EA or Valve

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamesN Microsoft could be looking to acquire EA or Valve.

There are rumors, and then there are capital-R Rumors, so big as to seem like the wildest bits of forum speculation. But a report published by Polygon today cites anonymous sources suggesting that Microsoft are looking at making some major acquisitions for their gaming division in the near future.

Polygon say that “a reliable source close to Microsoft” indicates the company is looking at acquiring Electronic Arts. “Whispers” also suggest that Microsoft’s gaming division is interested in picking up PUBG Corp or even Valve.

[...]
More information.

I really hope so. Vive la révolution!

The apocalypse is upon us!!!

Good Lord, I hope they don't buy Valve. I don't give a frog's fat arse what happens to EA.

Ideal world Microsoft buy EA and allow independent studios to develop games with EA IP which will also be released on Steam.

How about valve acquires MS, burns all Xbox inventory and makes a real gaming OS. It’s good to dream.

Seriously though doesn’t Gabe hate MS? I’d think he’d go broke before selling out to them.

I’m no fan of EA but the last thing I want to see is MS snatching up more assets to try and turn my pc into an Xbox with.

I am not keen on the Xboxification of Windows either but trying to think of best possible scenario's. The reality is that Microsoft has more than enough money to do this. I don't think Valve would sell to them however given the realities of a corporate structure which most employees of Valve would not be keen on.

Microsoft is (imho) far worse than EA - esp if they force everything to use window store and the other crap they impose on both developers and consumers.
-
Having said that if they offer enough the board will be forced to accept the offer. As others have noted Valve is a private company and does not have the same pressure towards investors; further more I suspect the majority owner (Gabe) has enough $$$ to last 1000 life-times so the only reason to sell out is if he is sick of the business.

Steam would turn into a steaming pile under MS. EA might actually improve under MS.

Steam is lovely piece of software when compared to Windows Store.

There are rumors about Microsoft trying to buy EA every year or so. Here an example from 2009.

Uh, Mindcraft was private and they were acquired. Public or private is irrelevant.

Noch wanted to sell it because he was tired of dealing with haters (and Microsoft gave him a few billions). For Valve to be sold to Microsoft, the owners needs to want to sell it, they can't do an hostile take over like for a public company.

Back
Top Bottom