Path of Exile - Free Beta Weekend

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I finally have internet access fully restored...now to catch up on a mountain of newsbits.
Grinding Gear Games writes they will be holding a free open-beta weekend for the promising action/RPG, Path of Exile this weekend. Here's the press release:
Indie Action RPG Path of Exile opens up its Beta for This Weekend Only
AUCKLAND, New Zealand – 27 March 2012 – Grinding Gear Games, the New Zealand developer of the much-anticipated action RPG Path of Exile, have announced that its Beta will be open to the public for stress testing this weekend: March 30-April 1.
The game has previously been in a restricted Closed Beta test, and this public stress test will be the first opportunity for many patient fans to play Path of Exile.
The Path of Exile Beta servers will open for public access at 5pm PDT on Friday, March 30. Public access will end at 11:59pm PDT Sunday night, April 1. A full FAQ about the Public Weekend is available at http://www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend.
Featuring its own dark, gritty take on the Action RPG genre, a unique skill gem system and a complex passive skill tree, Path of Exile is on track to enter permanent Open Beta within a few months. PvP combat and cosmetic purchases are planned for the Open Beta.
“We’re really looking forward to getting feedback from the wider gaming community,” says Chris Wilson, Grinding Gear Games’ co-founder. “We’ve arranged a number of interesting events for the public weekend, and we’re looking forward to meeting you in game.”
Players participating in the stress test weekend will be ranked on a ladder web page, showing who has gained the most experience. A separate ladder is available for players playing in 'Hardcore' mode where characters are removed if they die. Developer-run events, such as two hour ladder races and competitions to full-clear areas first, will occur throughout the weekend with details posted on the Path of Exile website.
All of Path of Exile’s current content may be played during the public stress test weekend, including the upcoming 0.9.8 Beta patch, which adds new skills, improved social features and numerous balance improvements.
To take part in this Beta, sign up for an account at www.pathofexile.com.
Key features of ‘Path of Exile’:
  • Completely free to download and play
  • A persistent online world capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of players
  • A dark and gritty game world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
  • Randomly generated levels and items for extreme replayability
  • Online ranking and ladders for every game mode
  • Visceral combat with dozens of combinable skills
  • Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition
  • Dynamic skill system
View the trailer at www.youtube.com/grindinggear
HD trailers are available from www.pathofexile.com/video
More information.

Dang too bad its an online game, the screenshots look nice.

It actually plays kinda good...haven't had time to play it much though...

I have been waiting to get into beta forever now. Not sure I want to tease myself with two days only.

I've been in beta about a month. Pretty slick game, and very stable.

When i saw the dead baby washed up on the beach .I knew it was going to be a good game. The skills MAP is beautiful.Thats right its a map.

I'll be all over this one. That's one sick passive skill tree!

Yeah, me too. I'm not exactly an action RPG fanatic, but I have been known to play the occasional one, and this looks pretty slick. Also, gotta support my fellow Kiwis ;)

downloaded and waiting for tonight

Well, I'm playing and it seems pretty cool so far. Nice (gloomy!) atmos. A guy who I assume is involved in making the game tells me that the cost model is one of "ethical microtransactions", i.e. not paying for power, but paying for things like aesthetics and stash/character space.

Played some last night as an archer. I think I chose too easy a difficulty cause I didn't die once. Imitation being the best form of flattery, you can guess what this game resembles. I won't go as far as using the world "blatant" but this is more of a Diablo clone then I have ever seen so far. Music, minimap,UI layout, etc.

I like the idea of a skill tree that I can work my way in any direction too. Also, when you put gems in weapons, you get a usable skill that levels on its own so that is pretty cool. Story? Haven't noticed any but with this big a skill tree it seems all about loot and levels. I might try a different character tonight as I am a little bored with this one already.

stress test indeed…major freezes, long queues.. but still when it works it's pretty much fun game…not sure about it still though.

some of it feels like sacred(which i didn't like), and some of it diablo, but it's still refreshing with the scroll instead of money and the gems replacing the whole skill system.

the game is even less story driven than DS 3

I didn't have any freezes or queues. At first I thought maybe I'm blessed by location (for a change!), but was told that the server I was on was based in Texas. Possibly I logged off before hoards of US citizens piled on.

Okay, I spoke too soon :)
Got kicked during a transition and now I can't get back on darn it.

I'll say again about the atmos, it's well done. And check out some of those creepy enemies. E.g. in the Submerged Caves (fairly early on in the game).

Edit: oh, it was a complete server crash. The third one apparently. Well, I guess that's what beta stress tests are all about.

It's a good game at first, but then once you start to feel the formulaic way it plays out, where everything is the same over and over, just incremented a bit each step of the way, it doesn't last. This kills replay value.

Back
Top Bottom