Project Eternity - Update #5, Souls, Technology and Adventuring Companies

my curiass armour in mount and blade with fire and sword along with a sabre and pistol is a wicked combo for sure. toss in some grenades on occasion as well.

I also dislike guns in fantasy settings.Fantasy means a different world and when medieval weapons are mixed with gun powder I feel its Earth history with magic on top.

I also dislike guns in fantasy settings.Fantasy means a different world and when medieval weapons are mixed with gun powder I feel its Earth history with magic on top.

Could that perception be because firearms are still with us, while swords and metal armor have gone to the dust bin of history? Blackpowder was very much an invention of chinese alchemy.

Hey, if you need a fantasy-based reason for blackpowder weapons, how about as a defense against dragons? That dire necessity would tend to spur the development of new weapons.

Last edited:
Or D&D and "fantasy" novels screwed people perception of historical warfare.

Firearms were invented in the 12th century (blackpowder in the 9th century). Plate mail were invented in the 13th century and limited to really rich people. Both were used together in Europe until plate mail were "phased out". Guns stayed around though.

Yes but firearms for the most part weren't used much nor as primary weapons until around the 15th century. There was some used prior to the 15th century but not many. Even in the early 15th century they werent used that much, some cannons were used but they were heavy and unweildy and often blew up on their users. Mostly they were used for shock tactics before a melee from what I have studied. Same thing with hand held firearms, they were heavy and innaccurate and took a long time to load. It wasnt until improvements in gun and gunpowder tech that guns started to replace traditional weapons and plate armor started becoming less usefull and this was mostly in the 16th century.

I dont love guns in my fanstasy either, but if they are not a major weapon and used in a primitive way like Arcanum I dont mind it. The magic vs technology in arcanum I thought.

Sounds like PE guns are going to be very primitive muzzle loaders, that sounds fine to me. Obviously more modern guns against armor would be a bit silly. Although I saw a tv show where they fired a handheld gun from the pirate age (mid 17th century) and it did not penetrate a 15th century plate cuirass.

I disagree about the guns ruining the experience. Some, if not most, of my favourite games and fictional worlds mix it up great. Arcanum has already been mentioned, and Wizardy. How about the Sphere in Baldurs Gate, that was one of the most interesting quests (although i admit there weren't guns around). And Star Wars should probably classify as Fantasy too right? (Some would like to say science fiction, but I don't think that's correct.)

To me, I would actually say that it adds to the immersion and the feeling of "another world" when it's just not medieval weapons and magic, but more…weird. Planescape Torment anyone? Now that's NOT generic Fantasy.

Body armor was worn all the way through the US civil war (1860s) at least. In reading about it the reason most soldiers didn't wear it was because it weighed so much given their other gear and was uncomfortable.

It's been replaced with Kevlar armor. I can't wait till we get power armor and lasers. Maybe in the next 200 years.:) I couldn't resist the fallout reference but in fact they are being developed. There just still in the very early stages.

Last edited:
Its been replaced with Kevlar armor. I can't wait till we get power armor and lasers. Maybe in the next 200 years.:) I couldn't resit the fallout reference but in fact they are being developed. There just still in the very early stages.

We already have powered exoskeletons. There is a full body exoskeleton which is used for load-lifting and a lower-body exoskeleton used for movement-load assistance in the field. The first is actually in-use in some manufacturing evironments as a civilian version and a more advanced military version is in the works. The second is I believe still in prototype. There are a few other models out there which are equally impressive at the very least and what is shown here is only what is declassified.

I'd say it would be more likely that armored exoskeletons would appear - at least as proof of concept models - a great deal sooner than that. The power systems to make them feasible for long term field deployment could also be far closer than you might think. They can already produce exoskeletons capable of assisting a soldier carrying a heavy pack and full kit (as well as its own weight) so an exoskeleton that caries an articulated armor as well probably isn't all that far off.

We already have powered exoskeletons. There is a full body exoskeleton which is used for load-lifting and a lower-body exoskeleton used for movement-load assistance in the field. The first is actually in-use in some manufacturing evironments as a civilian version and a more advanced military version is in the works. The second is I believe still in prototype. There are a few other models out there which are equally impressive at the very least and what is shown here is only what is declassified.

I'd say it would be more likely that armored exoskeletons would appear - at least as proof of concept models - a great deal sooner than that. The power systems to make them feasible for long term field deployment could also be far closer than you might think. They can already produce exoskeletons capable of assisting a soldier carrying a heavy pack and full kit (as well as its own weight) so an exoskeleton that caries an articulated armor as well probably isn't all that far off.

Looks good but still a long way off for complete full body power armor. The laser will take a while to since right now it only fits on a destroyer military ship.

Link-http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=awsQs4ct0c4

I think full body power armor development are taking a back step because drones and robots development seems to be where warfare is going currently.

But drones and robots could use lasers.

Looks good but still a long way off for complete full body power armor. The laser will take a while to since right now it only fits on a destroyer military ship.

Link-http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=awsQs4ct0c4

No we can fit them on trucks. But really for an offensive weapon a laser makes less economic sense than even the powered armor does. It's also far easier to render useless through countermeasures than a gun is. I think its pretty unlikely that lasers will ever be attractive as primary offensive weapons for ground based infantry. Power armor will probably get made as proof of concept then be re-designed as remote operated and/or autonomous drones.

No we can fit them on trucks. But really for an offensive weapon a laser makes less economic sense than even the powered armor does. It's also far easier to render useless through countermeasures than a gun is. I think its pretty unlikely that lasers will ever be attractive as primary offensive weapons for ground based infantry. Power armor will probably get made as proof of concept then be re-designed as remote operated and/or autonomous drones.

Yeah but remember don't trust machines and that seems like the way warfare in the future will be. No need for humans except the one controlling them.

Projectile guns will be obsolete once energy based weapons are invented. Will be nice to see if walking mechs can be invented. As for power armor being economic sense thats just an excuse. Politicians love to use that.

Looking forward to an AI taking over as you know some idiot is going to invent an thinking AI. Some researchers have already started. Hell a scientist put a dead mouse brain in an machine and it worked for a few weeks. I'll stop there as were going way off topic.

Here is the ture power project and what there aim is to look like in the future. It's going to happen. Program Executive Office (PEO) Soldier to increase strength, endurance and load capacity for every solider.

380px-US_Army_powered_armor.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom