Skyrim Skyrim Broken...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

darklord

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Seems like Skyrim is currently broken for many people out there including me, I can no longer start the game, and my desktop icon has lost it's target completely!

Steam has pushed some new update that has knackered things up…

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1284318-skyrim-just-updated-via-steam/

EDIT: I have been able to fix the game by doing this,

Right Click game on Steams Library list, Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity of Game Cache

Daniel.

I used the FXAA Post Process Injector, I suspect it this one that's caused the conflict, that being said there are 1000's of users out there with the same issue and many of the haven't added any mods. (or so I read while looking for a solution)

Annoyingly I've lost my settings with the above the fix, but my saves are intact.

Daniel.

It's still running fine for me, quite stable before and after the update

However, I'm not using any mods or LAA patch

they don't want you to modify the exe file to enable 2gb+ ram etc. what's worse is they are deleting threads when people complain on their site. I have personally seen about 5 threads disappear, even a post asking why other threads being deleted is also deleted!

It would have been nice if they'd warned the fan base before breaking so many peoples games, I was quite concerned when it wouldn't start any more, it was then I discovered the mass uproar on the official forums…

Daniel.

Dunno why they wouldn't want you to enable the 2gb+ ram thing, I haven't ever seen a game use more than about 1gb at a time anyway.

My understanding is that the old tesv.exe allowed you to run the game without steam running, which obviously they wouldn't want. Seems reasonable that they'd patch that.

I suppose since the LAA patch worked ok with Steam versions of FNV, FO3, etc., I can understand why people would be surprised.

However, I've noticed in the very early days after release of almost any game, it's usually best to turn off auto-update, especially when using any mods, until more information is known about what each update or patch does.

There's no official statement up yet, I guess they didn't expect so many people to be effected.

I have to say the game looks much worse now on basic graphics, I've been used to using the FXAA Post Process Injector, hopefully the author can get it up and running again soon! (it may have to wait for the construction kit)

Daniel.

I can still run the game fine, but like many others, I'm not running any mods...yet. You can't launch the TESV.exe file without logging into Steam now.

I suppose since the LAA patch worked ok with Steam versions of FNV, FO3, etc., I can understand why people would be surprised.

However, I've noticed in the very early days after release of almost any game, it's usually best to turn off auto-update, especially when using any mods, until more information is known about what each update or patch does.

I have had games on "do not automatically update" and they still did. New Vegas is a good example, actually. Bethesda patches can break stuff, I still remember the horrible 1.5 patch for Fallout 3, so I had New Vegas updates off… came home one day and here it updated anyway. Thanks Steam!

For Skyrim I had Steam off and was playing directly from the DRM free exe… so I did not get this update. Did it actually improve anything, or was it just to put DRM on the exe?

For Skyrim I had Steam off and was playing directly from the DRM free exe… so I did not get this update. Did it actually improve anything, or was it just to put DRM on the exe?

From the comments of others on the Nexus forums, it seems like a DRM only patch, but don't take that to heart just yet.

What a mess. People are not happy in that thread on the official forums. And numerous reports in the thread saying that even having it set to never auto-patch doesn't matter, it is overridden by steam. That is why I dislike steam, you have to play a fully patched game even if you don't want it for whatever reason. In Dragon Age, the difficulty was eased in one of the early patches, and it made things way easier and I disliked it but there was nothing I could do about it. No way to revert to an earlier un-patched game in steam. And what sucks more, in the future may have more of this, where you are forced to put the game on steam to even buy it in the first place.

Even setting a game not to auto-update doesn't really turn it off, it just means it won't do it automatically. When you try to launch the game it will force the update anyway. Only way to stop a Steamworks game from updating is to go to offline mode immediately before starting the game.

That's when they don't force the update no matter what, which they do in cases where it helps them to do so, like now with adding DRM to the exe. It's pretty violating if you ask me, to change files on your computer without your authorization.

Thats the kind of thing I hate about this system…

Good thing I have my gaming PC offline (only connect to download new games/patches).

Of course I will have to eat it up with patch 1.2 (or wait for a cracked 1.2 version, although I don't really think there is a lot of incentive to do that unless the game starts to CTD like crazy when run through steam or something)…

Back
Top Bottom