Project Eternity - Post-Funding Update #54, Art Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Art Director Rob Nesler brings us this art update for Project Eternity, which includes a UI mockup.
pe-hud-wip.580.jpg

Above is a UI mockup that Kaz has put over the original Kickstarter image. What do you think?
I know what you are thinking. What the hell have the artists been doing?? The art in this game should be half done by now! Right?
That's what I want to know! Why isn't the game half-done already?
Well, as I've said before we're "professionals." We proceed in a highly-complex collaboration/iteration loop of blending design wants and dos, programming cans, think-they-cans and dos and artist wants, cans, can-but-don't-know-how-longs and dos. As you can see - and please don't get angry - this is all very technical. Know that: work is progressing.
Yeeeargh! Enough with your silly stupid words, Rob!! What the hell does that mean??
Uhh... not sure, but I'll tell you what I think it means:
You've read about Prototype 1 and then Prototype 2. Those were efforts to implement features that represent the functional and playable standard of our goal: an Infinity Engine style of game. Those efforts were focused collaborations of designing, programming and art-ing things, trying them out, addressing problems as they came up (visual, functional or otherwise failing to live up to our standard) and repeating. The art goals were held to an 80-90% complete (aka: unpolished). The remaining 10-20% of work will be left toward the end of the "next phase," as always there will be edits and modifications after initial implementation of art. The basic truth of this interactive artistic endeavor that we are involved in is that you can't know it's a worthwhile experience, until you make it, people play it, and then provide feedback. We adjust our work to that feedback - a feedback loop. Boom! Consider yourself educated.
The "next phase" is a Vertical Slice. This is a goal in which we focus on one part of the game within a shell of what is essentially the fully-featured game - relying on the things developed in the prototypes, as well as implementing a fully-functional UI, attempting to finalize all art and gameplay to a more polished standard, and accommodate design changes that are required to make the player experience more complete - as if this part were a finalized, short game in itself.
Besides this also environment artists, animators, character artists and concept artis share what they have been up to.
More information.

Not bad still can't wait for a video of gameplay though. That probably wont happen for a few more months though.

Don't think i'm a fan of the UI harkening back to the IE days so much. A lot of things were great about the IE games but I don't think the UI is one of them. I don't like how it covers such a large part of your screen among other things.

Don't think i'm a fan of the UI harkening back to the IE days so much. A lot of things were great about the IE games but I don't think the UI is one of them. I don't like how it covers such a large part of your screen among other things.

+1.Pretty much my thoughts.

Yes and no. I think they could move beyond IE UI. But then other people want the full IE experience. I'm not so committed that I want to rain on their parade. NWN was fugly. Very functional but fugly. The art should fit the world. It may be controversial, but I think that Garriott was on the right track with the UIX interface. He was all about getting rid of in-your-face stats that remove you from the experience. I like crunchy stats, so I disagree with him there. But the UI should either contribute to the role I'm playing or get out of the way. Having a toolbelt or gumps that come up when needed are important. More important is that they feel like part of the world I'm in. I want to rummage in my pack and look in bags to find what I want. I want to feel as if I'm sketching a map out of my experiences. I want to feel as if I'm actually talking to my group rather than a box.

I for one love the good old IE UI. Couldn't be happier with these first results.

You can say what you want about WoW, but I do like its UI (and its customizability). A modern semi-transparant UI with a large view area is the way to go imo (panels can be closed, move, resized, etc.).

Transparency Slider would probably solve 60%+ of issues, even better full control of UI placement. Personally I don't like any more covered than necessary, would much rather look at the scenery than a frame.

One of the biggest offenders was Vampire Masquerade Redemption, the damn UI took about 25% of the screen.

I think this looks ace - absolutely what I was hoping to see. Its definitely old-school, but that's why I backed this in the first place...! I can understand peoples' views about the UI getting in the way of the game world, but for me the detailed IE style UIs kinda added to the atmosphere.

Was thinking the exact same thing....it even looks like they recycled the same art.

Also, when most gamers are using 16:9 or 16:10 widescreen monitors these days, why use a horizontal strip that makes your viewing area even more narrow? A vertical UI anchored to the left or right would be less intrusive if they want to go with this type block interface.

UI is important but can become an endlessly refined design process. Hope that doesn't happen and eat up resources. Ease of use and efficiency is more important than appearance / arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom