Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition - Pre-orders & Release Date

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Overhaul Games has launched the website for Baldur's Gate II the Enhanced Edition. You can pre-order the game on Beambog for $24.95 for PC and Mac. The game will be released on November 15th.
Kidnapped. Imprisoned. Tortured. The wizard Irenicus holds you captive in his stronghold, attempting to strip you of the powers that are your birthright.

Can you resist the evil within you, forge a legend of heroic proportions, and ultimately destroy the dark essence that haunts your dreams? Or will you embrace your monstrous nature, carve a swath of destruction across the realms, and ascend to godhood as the new Lord of Murder?

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition brings this critically acclaimed role-playing experience to PC, Mac, iPad, and Android.

• The Final Chapter - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition includes Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, the epic conclusion of the Bhaalspawn saga.
  • Four New Party Members - Bundled with the PC and Mac versions and available as DLC for iPad and Android, four new characters can join you on your journey. At the behest of his dark patron, Dorn Il-Khan plunders and defiles the Sword Coast. Hunted by Red Wizards, Neera the Wild Mage evades and disrupts the Thayans at every turn. Exercising his growing combat mastery, the monk Rasaad yn Bashir leaves his former allies to hunt the dark figure that corrupted his brother. A mysterious thief in service to mysterious master seeks powerful artifacts from across the globe. Recruit them, use their powers, and uncover over 30 new locations.
  • The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay - Explore the tactical depth of high-level Dungeons & Dragons combat. Undermine your captors and prey upon their weaknesses while you dodge traps and battle for your life against Demi-Liches, Mind Flayers, and Githyanki.
  • Easy Multiplayer - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition makes it easy to find, list, and join multiplayer games, even while behind a firewall.
  • Widescreen and More- Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition features full widescreen support, remastered area artwork from original renders, and a host of other interface and gameplay improvements.
You can visit the link here for screenshots, and more info.

More information.

I'll have to wait and see. Neera was the only character I found appealing in BGEE, but the annoying wild magic became too much and I let her get offed. Perhaps the Monk will be more interesting now that he's finally at a level to be decent in combat. The new thief might also be interesting.

Cool, didn't expect to see that one so soon. Now I just hope it doesn't take months again until it's on steam or gog. Not going to buy it on the Beambog HP.

Not sure if I will get the Mac/PC version this time (I have no problem with my GoG version), but will definitely be in for the iPad release.

I'm not sure whether preorder is such a great idea after their recent "distribution problems" … ?

I'm not sure whether preorder is such a great idea after their recent "distribution problems" … ?
They have been solved and no longer affect the games/dlc, or patches.

Though like JDR said that patch would be nice to have right now. Don't know what is taking them so long to release it.

Last edited:
Can we haz BG1 on android first?

This will be another interesting test case - with Android having ~75% of global market share yet iTunes App Store making ~75% of the money ... I wonder if there is enough pull to make money at $9.99 for this?

I just noticed there's an interesting change to the interface in the screen shots. The bottom center controls are more open now.

Great news! I'm getting it just for an excuse for another play through. This is also an important milestone. With BG2EE out of the way, they are now able to focus on the next project. Hopefully that is BG3!

Edit: I wrote the above before checking the website. Wow! It looks fantastic. Much better looking than BG1EE!

We already saw how much of a "value" BGEE was at $20. There was nothing "enhanced" about it. I can't believe people would so willingly fall into this trap for $25. Once again, you can get BG2 here for $10 (less if you wait for sales):

http://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_2_complete

Then you can mod it up.

I personally purchased BGEE for the resolution alone. Before you scream 'wide screen mod', I tried it with BG2 and was majorly disappointed. It scaled horribly and distracted me too much to enjoy the game again. So yes, I saw how much of a 'value' BGEE is for me. I can't believe people would so brazenly tell me how I should be spending my money.

This is also an important milestone. With BG2EE out of the way, they are now able to focus on the next project. Hopefully that is BG3!

I have mixed feelings about a Baldur's Gate 3. I think I'd rather see them do an original story if they can get the license for a new D&D game.

I'd also like to see EE versions of PS:T and IWD 1&2.

I have mixed feelings about a Baldur's Gate 3. I think I'd rather see them do an original story if they can get the license for a new D&D game.

I'd also like to see EE versions of PS:T and IWD 1&2.

And a toeeee would be nice.:)

No interest. Mods aren't difficult to install, and they cover a lot more ground than these additions do.

A possible BG3 would potentially be an exciting prospect in the right hands, but how is Beamdog demonstrating that they would be the ones to make that happen? Adding a few followers and an arena mode to a game, as well as some UI tweaks, is a far, FAR cry from creating an entire game from scratch. Seems like naive optimism at best to even speculate that a BG3 (much less one worth playing) might be on the horizon from them.

Hopefully this BG2 game will at least not have the rampant bugs and other issues the first "enhanced" game did. Honestly, the idea that they can sell the game for half of what the original game cost with the relative amount of work they put into it offends me. But hey, if it encourages folk to play these games, I guess that's a good thing.

imo not enough new content

I agree. While I adore BG2 like any other nerd, I also don't think the enhancement deserves that hefty price tag. Especially since BG2 with mods is perfectly fine to play.

I guess for those who are new to it, or really want to play on a tablet, it's somewhat worthwhile, but still...

Back
Top Bottom