Witcher 3 Just got Witcher 3 for £11 - beginner hints/tips

The Witcher 3
==================================
Off-topic post:

I never played TW3 because I never finished TW1 and TW2. Actually I started playing TW1 twice already but I can't get used to its combat, I simply don't like it. I just don't know if starting from TW3 (skipping the first and the second ones) will rob me some fun :(
==================================

Last edited:
My one cent, go to Skellige as soon as you are able. I waited too long and was overleveled. It took the fun out of it as I just rushed through it.

In fact, this is the reason I want to do a second playthrough. + Choosing yennefers side this time.

Addendum, I hope you got the goty edition for that 11 pound

Beginner hints:
- Don't try to beat werewolf on level 5, wait for 8+
- Don't grind flora, you'll swim in cash later and herbs are cheap
- Buy cards from every innkeeper and play cards once at every merchant
- Invest some points in quen and later in reverse quen

Explore organically. Turn off the ? on the map. Most of them are boring if you set them as destinations, but can add flavor if you happen upon them naturally. (Once you get to Toussaint, my advice changes somewhat... you can still leave them unmarked, but they are generally more worthwhile in Blood & Wine than in Velen/Skellige)

If you see a building on the map, check it out. Those usually aren't marked with ? for some reason, but there are often signficant things to encounter there.

Ignore the crossbow. It's weirdly useless.

Don't save scum decisions. There are some interesting ones and you'll suck all of the meaning out of making them.

My one cent, go to Skellige as soon as you are able. I waited too long and was overleveled. It took the fun out of it as I just rushed through it.

In fact, this is the reason I want to do a second playthrough. + Choosing yennefers side this time.

Addendum, I hope you got the goty edition for that 11 pound

Thanks. Yeah I got the GOTY edition. I thought the extra £3 won't break the bank :)

Beginner hints:
- Don't try to beat werewolf on level 5, wait for 8+
- Don't grind flora, you'll swim in cash later and herbs are cheap
- Buy cards from every innkeeper and play cards once at every merchant
- Invest some points in quen and later in reverse quen

Explore organically. Turn off the ? on the map. Most of them are boring if you set them as destinations, but can add flavor if you happen upon them naturally. (Once you get to Toussaint, my advice changes somewhat… you can still leave them unmarked, but they are generally more worthwhile in Blood & Wine than in Velen/Skellige)

If you see a building on the map, check it out. Those usually aren't marked with ? for some reason, but there are often signficant things to encounter there.

Ignore the crossbow. It's weirdly useless.

Don't save scum decisions. There are some interesting ones and you'll suck all of the meaning out of making them.

Thanks. I'll try that. Hard as I like to look under every cranny and pick up plants.

I'm not so sure about exploring organically. I thought most of the side quests were really, really good. Maybe turn them off at first then turn them back on after you've done a few you found?

I definitely agree with the live-with-bad-choices! This isn't a game about divining the developers' ideas of what is correct and following that path to get to the good ending. They seemed to make satisfying results for all your choices. Stick with the actual role playing!

Let the cheat force be with you. Use the console mod and codes young padawan.:cool:

Well then you wont get the best armor that actually makes Geralt look like a professional till you play Blood and Wine then. It's called the manticore armor and weapon set.

You'll actually look like Geralt from the original game finally.

TW3-BaW_ManticoreGear.jpg

Well then you wont get the best armor that actually makes Geralt look like a professional till you play Blood and Wine then. It's called the manticore armor and weapon set.

You'll actually look like Geralt from the original game finally.

TW3-BaW_ManticoreGear.jpg
That's what progression is like :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure about exploring organically. I thought most of the side quests were really, really good. Maybe turn them off at first then turn them back on after you've done a few you found?

I definitely agree with the live-with-bad-choices! This isn't a game about divining the developers' ideas of what is correct and following that path to get to the good ending. They seemed to make satisfying results for all your choices. Stick with the actual role playing!
Thanks, I guess I'll need to see how I feel after playing a bit.

I've just done the tutorial. Not had much time to play yet today.

That's what progression is like :)
Nah it's what he should have looked from the very beginning. This is what always bothered me with sequels. You lose your abilitys and gear to become a weak pansy.

Gerlat is over 100 years old I doubt this would happen to him.

Anyway I agree to disagree as I cheat on every game I play. It's fun to hack a game and alter it to allow for inf money and other fun things. Still it's not for you it seems.

Edit: Let it be said all non-witcher armor and weapons are crap in this game. So it'll be in your best interest to find those diagrams and forge your gear. You'll thank me.

Last edited:
Nah it's what he should have looked from the very beginning. This is what always bothered me with sequels. You lose your abilitys and gear to become a weak pansy.

Gerlat is over 100 years old I doubt this would happen to him.

Anyway I agree to disagree I cheat on every game I play. It's fun to hack a game and alter it to allow for inf money and other fun things. Still it's not for you it seems.:)'
No worries. I think that's the case with many sequels. In most games they invent some reason for it though like in gothic 2 he was resurrected.

It doesn't seem there's a reason here yet but not sure.

I don't mind you cheating :)

Explore organically. Turn off the ? on the map. Most of them are boring if you set them as destinations, but can add flavor if you happen upon them naturally. (Once you get to Toussaint, my advice changes somewhat… you can still leave them unmarked, but they are generally more worthwhile in Blood & Wine than in Velen/Skellige).

This. TW3 isn't a game you want to be OCD with. You'll just get over-leveled if you try to do everything, not to mention you'll also risk getting burned-out before finishing.

If you're getting over-levelled, there's a mod to reduce your xp earned, I think.

Burned out? On Witcher 3?? Inconceivable!

Haha thanks. I probably will get burned out but let's see.

I'm having some issues getting the strong attack working. It says press shift and left click but it doesn't do anything. Any ideas why?

Haha thanks. I probably will get burned out but let's see.

I'm having some issues getting the strong attack working. It says press shift and left click but it doesn't do anything. Any ideas why?

Damn... does that mean the TW3 combat still sucks, like TW1 ????

Back
Top Bottom