Valve leaked sales number

I believe Darkest Dungeon was the recipient of some of the best word of mouth coverage I've seen or heard in quite some time. To me, that is way more valuable and potent than, say, showing up in discreet ads or even blatant ones, if a mate gives it praise, I'm much more likely to try a product.

That's really clever! It doesn't tell you a thing about sales numbers, though. What its telling you is how many people actually played the game at least a little bit. People who never even start playing the game won't count. However, people that play the game and get no achievements still do count so games like Hearts of Iron that only give out achievements to people that play in ironman mode would still work.

Ooops, that isn't quite right, either. It's not people, it's accounts. That's very important for those free to play games.

Oh my, Offworld Trading Company has more players than Final Fantasy 15? And FF7 has more than those two combined!

Some interesting numbers (if they are accurate):
Pillars of Eternity ii did not sell well at all

It's out only for a few weeks now.

It's out only for a few weeks now.
Two months and usually most games make the majority of sales in the first week. That's why publishers waste so much money on DRM to slow down piracy.

Bottom line though is that low sales don't always mean a flop at release.

We can be optmistic that a million people purchased the game but are waiting for the dlc to play; conversely if you don't like this game you can be optimistic that all 200+K who showed up in the data represent nearly 100% of the owners. Hum. Only time will tell or maybe even then we will never know for sure.

Two months and usually most games make the majority of sales in the first week. That's why publishers waste so much money on DRM to slow down piracy.

Bottom line though is that low sales don't always mean a flop at release.

We can be optmistic that a million people purchased the game but are waiting for the dlc to play; conversely if you don't like this game you can be optimistic that all 200+K who showed up in the data represent nearly 100% of the owners. Hum. Only time will tell or maybe even then we will never know for sure.
All true that's why I brought up it another thread.:nod:

(I believe we have three threads about this.)

Oh I haven't played this game yet either so I'm part of the problem.:blush:

Millions of people waiting for the products to be complete show no excitment about the vanilla product.

It is known that players might have a huge backlog yet skip eating away at that backlog to play recently released products.

PoE2 did not lead to this behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom