iPhone/iPod RPGs

zzajin

innocent bystander
Here is a site that attempts to track the RPGs on the iPhone/iPod devices. It doesn't really provide any reviews, just a description, but breaks down the following components: Character, Story, Gear, Sidequests, Treasure, Features, and Grinding.

Quite cool - thanks for the update ... it is impossible to efficiently trawl the iTunes App Store efficiently anymore!

Hello I just registered to thank you for posting a link - I found a referral from here and thought I should drop by! This looks like a really great site, I wish I had known about it earlier.

Do please let me know if you have any suggestions or additions to my list ;)

Nice, but with reviews it would be even nicer. Anybody played ravensword? It looks pretty neat...

I'm still playing it, and it is pretty decent, several hours long so far - not teribly deep but plenty of fun.

Nice, but with reviews it would be even nicer. Anybody played ravensword? It looks pretty neat…
I've put information and a few recommendations for most of the games in the intro paragraph, if you click the TouchArcade links you can find their reviews. I will try to link more reviews in future.

It's hard reviewing them or giving them star ratings, because people's tastes are so different. I'm really struggling with Kingdom of Gorath, for example, but I see that others absolutely love it. I've also seen people slam The Quest games, but they're among my favourites.

Ravensword doesn't appear to be getting the hype that it had before release. I think that's partly to do with the near-simultaneous release of Inotia: Wanderer of Luone, which has taken most of the hype, and also the fact that Ravensword is apparently not that long. It does appear to be a good game though, I haven't read much specific criticism of it. I've bought it but haven't played it yet, though I will soon (Yipe 5 got in the way!)

I strongly recommend Undercroft for those who can play it. Compared to all the watered down mobile light-rpg's, this is a professionally done RPG that really is up there with PC rpg-"classics" such as Avernum. I started to play it on Pocket PC before a RPG-con and simply couldn't put it away. I was sitting with it the entire trip. I had all the expansionpacks for it too, but I got stuck and never finished it. I hope they haven't chopped it down for iPhone, that would be a shame.

Basically it's a party-based 3D Eye of the Beholder-style RPG, but ofcourse with much improved graphics.

Both the story and gameplay is way above average for mobile devices and it's fairly long game too. It's also have above average graphics and the sound can be quite atmospheric when you play in the dark. The levels have a lot of variation, both indoor and outdoor, from castles, to villages, to forests, hellish dungeons etc. There's a huge amount of monsters in the game, loads of equipment, a lot of spells etc.

It's a shame that so few were able to play it when it was Pocket PC only, but since I see it's available on iPhone too I really recommend picking it up. You owe yourself that. And if you don't have an iPhone or Pocket PC, you might wish to check the Windows version.

Official website: http://undercroft.rakeingrass.com

trailer
beta video

undercroft-45396-1.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks great - will have to try it on the Pocket PC ...

Undercroft has a demo on the App store, too (called "lite") so no reason not to give it a try.

Undercroft has a demo on the App store, too (called "lite") so no reason not to give it a try.

You'd think that since they have it right on the website I might have noticed that ... ;)

I played the PC/Windows version of Undercroft - really nice game!

I bought Undercroft today and have played it for 6 hours straight. It's the first iPhone RPG that I really enjoy.

Undercroft is absolutely brilliant. The more I think about it, I think it's one of the best-rounded RPGs available. Length, content, difficulty, everything. It's very enjoyable to long-term RPGs fans, but I also think it's accessible to players brand new to the genre.

I just wish the App Store wasn't such a complete mess that people could actually find these games. The "Free Apps" column is *completely pointless* - how is a MobWars 50 Points upgrade even classed as a game? And Suzie's Sushi House - I'm sure it's a great game, but it looks far more like a strategy-sim than an RPG.

And there is not *one single RPG* among all the featured games on the front page, excecpt for something that looks suspiciously MobWars. We RPG fans are ill-served.

Apple really could do a lot better than this. Plus it would surely boost sales, which they profit from.

I just wish the App Store wasn't such a complete mess that people could actually find these games. The "Free Apps" column is *completely pointless* - how is a MobWars 50 Points upgrade even classed as a game?.

Completely agree - sadly the 'top 25' lists are autogenerated, and anything listed as part of a genre qualifies ... even add-ons!

Completely agree - sadly the 'top 25' lists are autogenerated, and anything listed as part of a genre qualifies … even add-ons!

It really is disappointing that the "RPG" category on the App Store is absolutely laden with these "Buy 50 more points!" microtransactions for dozens of text-based "buy your way to the top of the food chain" applications. I'm not even sure why they're classified as games, since as far as I can tell there's no actual gameplay and they're basically just ladder boards of how much of a sucker you are in comparison to the other suckers who are paying to make their respective ways up the virtual ladder.

That said, I suggest that you folks who are enjoying Undercroft also check out "The Quest". There are several threads here on the board where we've discussed it before. Similar to Undercroft, it's a more traditional western style RPG using the old Wizardry-style 3D blob movement with turn-based combat, heavy on stats, customization and dialogue. Unlike Undercroft, it's a single-character game, where the customization system is quite similar to Daggerfall, or the other Elder Scrolls games. Your character can develop his/her skills in various weapon categories, magical schools and alchemy, thievery tasks, persuasion abilities, etc.

It's a huge game, and there are currently four expansion packs available for "The Quest", with at least three more on the way. There's currently well over 150 hours worth of content available, if you enable all the expansions. The expansions can be played as stand-alone games, in addition to being incorporated into your main game, if you want to play each one with a different build.

There is a Lite version available for free, and the latest expansion pack is free this week as well (which can be played as an independent game) if you want to get a feel for the game. If you decide you like it, there is a Gold pack version ("The Quest Gold") available that includes the base game and the first three expansions. Combine that with the free for this week fourth expansion, and you've got hundreds of hours of gameplay for under $10.00.

Here's a link to a big thread on the game at TouchArcade, in case anyone wants to learn more http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=5492.

Last edited:
Yeah, The Quest has come up here as well ... really great game.

Now that I have a Droid I hope that some good games start coming there as well ...

Back
Top Bottom