Recommend/discuss survival games (aka Hi crpgnut!)

Premise is that your plane crashed in the arctic ocean. You escaped via a Life Raft but you're in Dire Straits and the Knopfler's can't be found anywhere! Oops, wrong dire straits. You have 3 items in the raft with you and that's it. The raft itself is waterproof and protects you from the wind. You'll need fire and you'll have to scavenge wreckage to find stuff that will burn. Cans of paint, wooden planks, maybe a pallet if you're really lucky. You'll need to make something to help you catch the abundant fish that are everywhere, but making fire is the single most important thing you do in this game and it's fun scavenging enough stuff to do so.

The land is not randomly generated, so memorizing the map is doable. Stuff washes up on the shores every day, so it's necessary to revisit the same areas looking for salvage. If you enjoy the Long Dark, this game is somewhat similar to survival mode, but more primitive.

Sounds like something I might want to check out. Do you remember how much it cost?

Green Hell is a tropical rainforest survival game with hostile tribesmen and a mystery to solve. So far I have to deal with hunger, diseases, leeches, shelter and hunting. Getting to know the different fauna and animals so you know what to eat and what not to makes things challenging in a good way. Also you have to watch your step and traverse carefully, any cut is potentially a deadly infection. Graphically it looks quite nice and environmental sounds are spot on.

Sounds like something I might want to check out. Do you remember how much it cost?

$3. I'll friend you a copy. I'm cheap that way :D Sent, check Steam email account.

I just found this game : https://windboundgame.com/

I think I might like it. It doesn't look grim at all and seems to have enough adventure to bind me, so to say. ;)
I'll preorder it because of that.

Hey @Alrik Fassbauer;, if you like survival games where there isn't a lot of killing, I have several that are awesome for that. You may have to kill wildlife to survive, but no zombies or hordes of other monsters. Let me know if you want a list. There are some great choices.

Hey @Alrik Fassbauer;, if you like survival games where there isn't a lot of killing, I have several that are awesome for that. You may have to kill wildlife to survive, but no zombies or hordes of other monsters. Let me know if you want a list. There are some great choices.

Hello, you could list them for me, please ? Edit : Are these the ones from page 1 of this thread ?

I'm currently trying out Windbound. I really like it, but there is almost no information in-game, and even the tutorials are very … meager, imho.

So far I could only find out that health and stamina go down without any food after some time, but there doesn't seem to be any sleep option, and living off berries isn't that great so far … killing pigs isn't easy, either (I couldn't manage to do so, sofar).

Since this is my very first survival game, I'm a but … confused on what to do. Okay, I need to keep health up, always eating (and drinking), got that. But … specifically to this game, I couldn't find out much more (I'm still on the first island).

What irks me is that the character needs to eat far more, it seems to me, that I have to in Real Life.
And that there is no "sleep" option.

Windbound got heavy criticism that once you got past the first couple islands, you've basically seen everything the game has to offer. the rest is just doing all the exact same things (with difficulty ramping up) until the end of the game.

Alrik: I'd like to hear your opinion on Windbound once you play more and then once you finish it. I also like the look of it, but reviews have kept me away. I (generally) don't like survival games, though.

I'm not playing it regularly.

Apparingly, it seems to have rogue-like randomly ? generated islands - I mean, generated anew each new game you start - so maybe that's adding to that.

Animallica might be one for you, Alrik, but the game may have changed since I played it. You land on a world full of animals and the goal is to breed them so that they have a chance to survive. You explore the world looking for clues to what happened and for animals to protect. You can have protector animals. Some of the creatures are monsters though, so those you have to fight.

Another would be My Island. You play a young girl and her dog stranded on some islands. It's pretty light combat and even the survival elements aren't dark or too hardcore.

7 Days to Die is a zombie game, but if you turn them off, it becomes a game of avoiding rabid animals while building a base, growing crops, and exploring the apocalyptic world.

These games sound interesting, I'll kep them in the back of my head (and probably wishlisted).

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has tried to recreate Robinson Crusoe so far. ;)

Green Hell is a tropical rainforest survival game with hostile tribesmen and a mystery to solve. So far I have to deal with hunger, diseases, leeches, shelter and hunting. Getting to know the different fauna and animals so you know what to eat and what not to makes things challenging in a good way. Also you have to watch your step and traverse carefully, any cut is potentially a deadly infection. Graphically it looks quite nice and environmental sounds are spot on.

I purchased Green Hell today after watching some footage. I've had a hard time getting into any survival games lately, but I'm hoping this might be different. I like tropical environments so the setting appeals to me.

Just finished installing.. I'll post my impressions after I've had time to play.

Last edited:
I picked up The Forest which is on sale right now. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play it in the near future, but I've got a lot on my plate right now. I've still barely played Green Hell.

To me, this is my personal impression, Windbound becomesmore and more interesting the more DLCs are put out ... It seems to change a bit from a "mere" survival game into something more into the direction of an adventure games, imho ...

I played The Forest last week.
Good survival elements that aren't overly onerous. You can tell it was made by a small team, but impressive effort. Controls are simple. Theres a few things that aren't intuitive and I had to look up (totally did not guess how to do hotkeys) but overall not a bad game. Not a fan of mutants though.

Theres almost two paths one can take…
1. Ignore story and just have fun base building.
2. Rush story and don't need to build a base at all.

Granted you'd need to know where to go and what to do if you were doing #2.
Theres also a healthy mod and multiplayer community. I can see the lure of playing this with a friend should one have those.

Back
Top Bottom