Larian Studios - New Malaysian Studio & BG3 Complexity

I enjoy RTwP much more than TB. I ultimately didn't enjoy DOS2 all that much (and I didn't enjoy DOS1) partly because of how combat was implemented, and I'm glad that quoted above is that BG3 will be "very different at its core" from DOS.

I’d be surprised if it didn’t have multiplayer. The originals had it and larian seems to be pretty keen on co-op multiplayer.

As mentioned earlier the originals had MP and the SP was still great so Its not a forgone conclusion the SP will suffer from having MP.

MY main concern is that we will get D:OS 3 with a BG3 skin on it. I liked D:OS 1 & 2 but really hoping BG3 feels like BG and not D:OS.

Sill no game-play so I have no opinion. Just hope its not like the Original Sin games.

The first OS, for sure. The 2nd was much better, imo. This shows, with admittedly limited sample of… 2, that they are trending in the right direction. Either way, I trust Larian will make the game most of us here want.

The first OS, for sure. The 2nd was much better, imo. This shows, with admittedly limited sample of… 2, that they are trending in the right direction. Either way, I trust Larian will make the game most of us here want.
Nope they would have to tone down the combat.

To much fire, ice and so on status effects in every battle.

Nothing like wasting time on a fight due to oil or a wet surface. Still I never was excited about the Original Sin games, and that is well known. Dragon Knight was more my style.

Still haven't finished both games yet either as I always end up playing something else.

Last edited:
I really dont need coop or whatever multiplayer from BG3. But I agree that from Larian it can be expected it will be there. I just hope they will not make multiplayer central feature and then bend and compromise everything else to fit into it. I would prefer rather opposite approach.

I think Larian is bigger than Bethesda at this point :D

There is no such thing, and I suspect there never will be. They might make some awful, unholy hybrid, but creating two functioning combat systems would be a huge waste of resources.

Actually, it was done in M&M 7&8 if you wanted to play that way. Not fully and completely, but effectively to give you choice.

And PoE 2 also has the two systems in the end.

What's up with Dart putting everything in spoiler tags? I'd suggest just to scramble his password next time. For the sake of readability :)

And PoE 2 also has the two systems in the end.

PoE 2's Turn-based combat is very unbalanced in a lot of situations. Going from calculations being done every 1/10th of a second to every 6 seconds is inherently problematic unless the game is designed around that from the get go.

Overall, I'd prefer if the game's combat is turn-based and more in line with D&D's 'roots' but I'd still play it if RtWP.

My main concern doesn't concern any of this but rather just how many "liberties" Larian takes with 5e mechanics. In comparison to 3.5, Fifth Edition is already pretty generic when it comes to character building. If Larian then decides to throw in whimsical mechanics, the game could become a real mess. For instance, I thought the armor system in DOS:2 as well as the game's over-the-top fetish for area effects should not have gone past the initial design stages - the company needs to focus on the world and story progression instead of gimmicks.

I am not sure what the world is coming to when I not only see Drithius really enjoying a game I also like (Outer Worlds) but I also find myself agreeing with some of his posts.

:)

Their line of intent does not line up with RTwP, it would take talent they have not displayed so far to deliver on that.

They tell they want to deliver a similar experience to PnP and describe it as a succession of multiple reactive steps.

A situation occurs. Players react. Then GM reacts. Then players react and so on.

Not impossible to deliver with RTwP but demanding talent.

UgoIgo is superior for players as it is mostly reactive and does not require an overall view on the process to be successful.
It allows to split a process in multiple steps and more than anything else, allows to be successful by performing more or less well at each step.

A movie, made to unsettle viewers, worked in the reverse: prisoners were locked in a super structure, each basic structure was a cell filled with maiming or lethal traps. Reactive mindset: prisoners enter a cell, they find their ways to the exit. Next cell. Until prisoners realized they needed an overall perspective to escape, performing to each step was not enough (the move was meant to unsettle)

UgoIgo vid products are not meant to unsettle, they are meant to flatter players'go, secure themselves in their self esteem or whatever.

So this product is going to be made in a way that ensures performing to each step is not demanding. Players are going to be provided with a large tool box to pick options from. Sold as tactics.

Under the guise of freedom of action, this vid product is meant to confine players in multiple little decisional boxes to react to, and will probably be sold as ground to think out of the box when it is the epitome of thinking in a box.

I'm somewhat concerned about is the story of BG3: Larian never had a stellar track record here.
What they do best is the kind of whimsical euro-absurd...
... but their attempt at epic dark fantasy isn't that hot.

I sincerely hope they won't crank the "Go for the eyes Boo!"-factor to 11.

Actually, it was done in M&M 7&8 if you wanted to play that way. Not fully and completely, but effectively to give you choice.

I can't speak to the quality of the combat in those games but I think we all remember how Arcanum tried to "give you choice" and ended up with a crap hybrid system.

My best argument against RTWP is that to achieve mediocrity is really the holy grail. For every RTWP game in the past fifteen years (that I know of), "adequate" is the highest praise that could be mustered for combat. Those games may shine in other areas, enough to satisfy people with other priorities, but RTWP combat is never excellent, groundbreaking, or even engaging.

I'd find it interesting if they did simultaneous turn based, or whatever it is called. Where every character decides an action and then they all get resolved at once.

What I enjoy about rtwp is that it allows something which is impossible in tabletop games: real time, simultaneous resolution of actions. I enjoy the chaos and unpredictable nature of it since it mimics real life better (in my opinion). It feels more like a battle and less like a chess game.

I do understand if they go the classic tabletop route, but really hope they make use of the unique opportunities of being a computer game, other than just calculating the results instantly.

In real life, people use tactics to order to a battlefield. The stake is to order a battlefield in an advantageous way and/or disadvantageous to the opponent.

but RTWP combat is never excellent, groundbreaking, or even engaging.

Anything usually is limited by the user's abilities. Providing the best brushes in the world to a person who can barely paint is unlikely to return that the brushes are groundbreaking or excellent.

When listening to a piece of music, people might not make the difference between the sounds delivered by a €500 piano or a €10 000 piano.

Overgearing, over equipping is common these days.

RTwP party based combat products have no audience. UgoIgo players can not play them and always try to fall back on UgoIgo structures.

And indeed, no matter how good a RTwP product is, it is unlikely to be a good UgoIgo. Especially to UgoIgo players who think that as long as it is UgoIgo, it is good.

Why are you guys still discussing TB or rtpw ? There's absolutely nothing leading to that, fact is its a huge budget AAA game with google stadia partnership.One thing is for sure it's designed for a controller. Think of a rpg like dragon's dogma instead or witcher 3 with companions , that's the only reason one would have to tweak the dice rolls.

Why are you guys still discussing TB or rtpw ? There's absolutely nothing leading to that, fact is its a huge budget AAA game with google stadia partnership.One thing is for sure it's designed for a controller. Think of a rpg like dragon's dogma instead or witcher 3 with companions , that's the only reason one would have to tweak the dice rolls.
I'm guessing people discuss it because they find it interesting and have certain preferences they want to express. At least that's why I wrote what I did :)

Um...because this is a discussion forum? That's the role of the whole site. It'd be goofy, to just post news and not comment on those same posts.

Back
Top Bottom