View Single Post

July 18th, 2018, 12:02
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
As the head of the Anglo Saxon department at Oxford, Tolkien was inspired by tons of source material he had around him. i.e. Gandolf is Merlin, and a type of Christ, ork is an Anglo-Saxon spelling of ogre and take a look at this passage from the Volsunga Saga

The Hobbit itself is a retelling of Seigfreid's slaying of the dragon Fafnir
It's a little bit more difficult than that, but yes, it could be boiled down to that, more or less, if you leave everything around that out (Elves, for example, or Dwarves, or the Hobbit himself being a very small being, and the Dragon being killed by an arrow, the death of Fafnir is mirrored rather in The Silmarillion).

Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I did NOT say Tolkien was 100% original in everything he did - or that he wasn't inspired. I did NOT say Lucas stole 100% of everything he did - or that he didn't create anything.
Both, Lucas & Tolkien, are similar in so far as they are both drawing from the same pool of myths. With Lucas using more asian myths.
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; July 18th, 2018 at 12:14.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)