Project Eternity - Ebay Fundraiser

It's a great idea and I applaud the nobility of the gesture, but most self-respecting gamers would already have a good proportion of 'em. ;)

Exactly - I have all these games in boxed form except for the MMOs.

Since the donator is already well known, he doesn't need to be made a bigshot. Desslock is one of the most known crpg reviewers ever. I believe he's just finding a way to support part of the genre he loves. Really hard to criticize the guy.

I meant collecting a lot of money.

And second, I never implied that he was seeking glory or stuff like that. I simply implied he might want to get included in some sort of the way in the game.

It is kind of stupid to think that one will achieve celebrity by getting his name in credits or face on the NPC. How many people will read the credit rolls and investigate on who is who, or remember the list of accredited donators?
But it might be a personal pleasure to see that in one favourite game of yours, you read your own name or see your own face, item or artefact.

So this guy might as well get others sponsor his wish.

I love the idea, and to be honest I don't see what's so wrong with posting about it. It's not like it hurts anyone. This site is about RPGs and we're talking about raising funds for a game most people here are looking forward to.

Posting about it on the main page may stretch a bit the definition of news, but given the background of the person and the fact he's a member here at the watch as well...

In fact, I'm actually glad this was posted :p. I always wanted a copy of Sea Dogs and Icewind Dale and never got around to getting it.

I simply implied he might want to get included in some sort of the way in the game.

Meh, I've already been characters in a few RPGs, for what it's worth - my favorite is probably the annoying dude who is one of the first NPCs you meet in the original Baldur's Gate.

No, I just want to raise as much money as I can for a game I want to support, and as a collector myself (I'm not selling any of the really good stuff!), I know there's collectors out there who'd appreciate getting their hands on some of this gaming history.

I think the success of this kickstarter project has broader implications for the RPG genre and the gaming industry itself. I don't want traditional RPG gaming to be marginalized (or vanish) like my other favorite gaming genres - space sims and wargames.

The gaming industry has changed a lot in the past 15 years, and although RPG fans may have issues with games from Bethesda and BioWare I actually think we were really lucky to have some "mainstream" support for RPG gaming throughout the 2000s, or the genre would be less prevalent today (and I have very little confidence that EA will continue produce worthwhile RPGs) or have evolved into something even less interesting. But digital distribution and unconventional funding methods can hopefully not only sustain but broaden the appeal of traditional RPG gaming. I'd like for Obsidian to not share the fate of Troika and Black Isle, or to be limited to producing niche products like Spiderweb Software (although I like those games too).

Anyway, if anyone here wins any auctions, let me know and I'll try to throw in an extra goodie if I have something you'd like.

Meh, I've already been characters in a few RPGs, for what it's worth - my favorite is probably the annoying dude who is one of the first NPCs you meet in the original Baldur's Gate.

You mean we have you to thank for Noober?

I'm not sure I'd go around telling people about that one. ;)

I personally liked Neeber (sp?) from BG2 more than Noober from BG1. Why? Neeber pisses off quicker and also gives you some experience + magic rock (as he calls it) :)

Noober was just plain annoying and didn't give you anything at the end (unless I didn't click on him enough?)

Noober was just plain annoying and didn't give you anything at the end (unless I didn't click on him enough?)

You didn't click on him enough, you get about 400 XP and he leaves you alone.

Dess - why not become a regular here? You know you wanna.

I don't think Desslock was Noober or that annoying nobleman at the festival. I think it's one of the first NPCs you bump into once you leave Candlekeep.

I don't think Desslock was Noober or that annoying nobleman at the festival. I think it's one of the first NPCs you bump into once you leave Candlekeep.

That's right - the NPC is Desslock spelled backwards.

Too bad it wasn't your real name spelled backwards. That woulda been a mouthful :D My nick spelled backwards would sound like tongue pierce!

Final update on this fundraiser: Sold 10 of the 20 games (the ones you'd expect) and managed to raise around $913 in proceeds from bids. I've bumped that up to $1000 to donate to Project Eternity - so a great success for a good cause.

Galaad, I'm glad you got at least one of the games you wanted. Thanks to everyone who bid and/or helped to spread the word!

Desslock, did you pick the NPC or the artifact?

The NPC. I'm not really a fan of "loot" and prefer low-magic settings, but I have lots of old D&D characters who could venture out for a saunter.

loquacious & sesquipedalian - I just learnt 2 new english words ;)

I couldn't get Icewind Dale as it was getting a little too expensive, but I'm glad I at least managed to grab Sea Dogs and help project eternity at the same time. :)

Back
Top Bottom