Dark Souls II - Journal of Death @ IGN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IGN played five hours of Dark Souls II, and decided to write about it in a new article. So it goes without saying beware of spoilers. Now read on if you dare.

My extensive time with Dark Souls II taught me that this entry carries the series’ torch of throwing players into gameplay rapids rolling with crushing defeats, great triumphs, and plenty of unexpected twists. I walked away feeling like I played more of the first game. From Software and new director Yui Tanimura are clearly trying to replicate the experience that came before, and I think that’s a great decision.
More information.

Would love to check this out but I must skip the spoilers. Finally defeated ornstein and smough so hopefully I will finish the first one by April 25th.

If anyone is playing the console version ( Wednesday )I'd be interested in hearing how the new effigy system is working and also how invasions are going since you can now be invaded while hollow.

Tried offline mode in the end?

The effigies can be used (i.e. not burned in a fire) to restore humanity, or burned in a fire to reduce the chance of invasion for those playing online. Perhaps those getting the console version can confirm if it is indeed a bit more rare than humanity in #1 as Miyazoe was saying the other day (but I assume one would have to play a significant amount of time to make that comparison)…

P.S. New review from Polygon pretty light on spoilers but I just skimmed through it… Doesn't seem particularly useful and I definitely disagree with the conclusion but whatever :)

Last edited:
Tried offline mode in the end?

The effigies can be used (i.e. not burned in a fire) to restore humanity, or burned in a fire to reduce the chance of invasion for those playing online. Perhaps those getting the console version can confirm if it is indeed a bit more rare than humanity in #1 as Miyazoe was saying the other day (but I assume one would have to play a significant amount of time to make that comparison)…

P.S. New review from Polygon pretty light on spoilers but I just skimmed through it… Doesn't seem particular useful and I definitely disagree with the conclusion but whatever :)

Yep, had to. There's enough stuff to deal with getting to and beating O&S.

There should really be a way to turn off invasions and still get the messages and ghosts of other players. Especially for your first time through when you just want to enjoy the game.

Still looking forward to DS2 of course but I'm wary of the multiplayer aspect. I did read somewhere that you could play in offline mode but then again you won't get the messages or ghosts.( which are pretty cool IMO)

Well I am a bit of two minds about them (messages and ghosts) they do add a bit of uniqueness to the game but are also a bit distracting (and the message seem to be equal share of trolling and spoilers, but this is mostly hearsay).

For someone like me that couldn't care less for the "Loose connection between players" (Sorry Tanimura san ;) ) I can do without easily and with no regret. I feel the more solitary it gets, the more intense the experience (for #1 but I expect it to be for #2 also). But that is probably my personal preferences and temperament largely speaking…

P.S. And another one: IGN that I skimmed over (Can't help myself :D) Also light on spoilers I believe (good on them btw). Sounds that the fast travel system and the "go back to the hub to lvl up| does detract from the game as I expected (going to ignore warp until I have my fill of exploring or unless I really get my ass handed to me in a specific area ;) ) but everything else sounds great :) (as much as one can give a toss about mainstream review sites riding the hype train ;) )

Back
Top Bottom